1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

High School pulls out of football game citing size of foe's players

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by mc mark, Oct 6, 2010.

1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

please lock if already posted

this wouldn't happen in Texas --

Rhode Island school pulls out of game citing size of foe's players

Football matchups between private schools can create mismatches based on a variety of factors, but it's rare that a school uses fear of injury to cancel a game.

That's exactly what happened Monday, when St. George's (R.I.) School canceled a game on Friday against fellow Independent School League member Lawrence Academy (Mass.), citing a concern over the disparity in the size of the two schools' players. St. George's is the first team to officially pull out of a game against Lawrence Academy (Mass.), one of two programs that has been completely dominant against ISL foes in recent years.

2. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

They were scared of the 3 300+ lbs OFFENSIVE linemen. That is a mega failure..

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Sissies.

4. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

good call imo

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No big deal, they didn't want to play a stacked team.

DD

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I went to private school. I never gave it much thought when I was there but I remember going back for Homecoming a few years after I graduated and I noticed that a kid I knew when he was a freshman was playing on the O Line. He was scrawny when I knew him. I was 6'1", 180 as a senior and I dwarfed him. I thought he must've grown but no, he was just a 5'6", 140 lb Right Guard.

7. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Play the damn game anyway.

8. codell

codell Contributing Member

My son's school is a private christian school (total student count about 350) where they play 6-man football. Last week, they played Calvert, who has won numerous state titles. When I saw both teams like up before the game, i was scared for our team. We have a couple of big guys (QB is like 6'4'' and one of the flankers is 6'3'' or so, but the rest are 6' and under), but it seemed every one of Calvert's kids were in the 6'2'' to 6'5'' range. They kicked the **** out of us to the point the 45 pt. differential mercy rule was met by early 3rd quarter (should have been met in the 2nd, but Calvert's kids dropped about 2-3 easy TD passes). I don't think our team gained even 10-20 yards the whole game, which is hard not to do in 6-man football.

Six-man football is a lot of fun to watch though.

9. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

6-man football?.....WTF...just get 5 more players.

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

never heard of 6 man football? a lot of schools in small towns just dont have enough to field a normal team.

11. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

3 linemen...a RB...QB...1 WR???

12. codell

codell Contributing Member

Some schools don't have enough kids to field a large team. My kid's school has like 11 guys total on the team. There were only 15 in the graduating class last year.

You basically have 3 OL, QB and 2 flankers. Any of the 6 are eligible receivers (kind of neat to see trick plays where the C catches a TD pass). The QB is only allowed to pass or handoff, he can't run it (but he becomes an eligible receiver if he pitches back). 80 yard field instead of 100; 10 min quarters; 15 yards for a first down.

One of the more interesting rules in the PAT; a kick is worth 2 points, while a run/pass into the endzone is worth only 1 point.

13. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Certainly not the first time someone's had to pull out due to size. Sometimes it's just too much to handle.

1 person likes this.
  14. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

6 man football is fun to watch - 80yd fields and the scores are usually above 50pts per team - very very high scoring. Its huge in West Texas due to all the small towns, but there are some towns in East & Central TX that play it too..like the aforementioned Calvert, wich is near College Station I believe.

There is a documentary out about 6man football..narrated by Val Kilmer..I forget the name of it though.

15. Shaud

Shaud Member

I'd rather them quit than for people to expect the better team to take it easy on them once the game became a blowout.

16. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

What kind of example is that for their state of R.I.?

17. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

[​IMG]

18. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Here's my David vs Goliath story. I went to a charter school inner city near Austin high here in houston. We didnt have football so we played rugby. We were all hispanic and not big by any means. I dont think we had a student talled than 5'11.

Well we played Denton I think, these farm guys were huge they were all over 6 feet and looked like men compared to us. Even they said "its a brave thing you're doing" i was 5' 7 150 at the most. This is rugby too...not football. No pads if one of those guys falls on me i probably wouldve been crushed lol.

The point is we played and they kicked our ass. Maybe they didnt hit us as much because of our size but hell I was like a chihuahua, no sense of how big or small I was.

Man up bi****s. Its a good life lesson. Our coach didnt cancel our game, we just had to take the hits.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

[​IMG]

Ray Lewis: "Man's Game."