1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hidden camera scandal brewing in TX legislature?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Commodore, May 17, 2015.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

http://townhall.com/columnists/doug...gonna-suck-for-the-texas-legislature-n1999953

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Show me the active legislation banning adultery then we can complain about hypocrisy. We have gotta get this crap out of political journalism.

3. Commodore

Problem isn't the adultery per se, but that it comprises people in power who can be blackmailed if they don't want it known.

For those of us with experience with security clearances, we call that "adverse information".

Like if you had a gambling problem or lots of debt, that may be a personal issue, but it can be used against you. So you are professionally compromised.

4. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

solution: embrace polyamory on a societal level.

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/07/multiple-lovers-no-jealousy/374697/

5. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

this is an academic discussion anyhow

one day polyamory will become the universal, ubiquitous store of value for human love.

We'll have an API that will communicate our preferences to our multiple lover-bots. When that day comes, camera-wielding zealots will no longer have power over anybody.

FREEDOM

6. False

False Member

Well they sure are hyping this up. Better be better than the fight.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My guess is we won't see anything about it in mainstream press and nothing will happen.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I may not be 100% on this, but aren't poly amorous "couples" (for lack of a better term) still expected not to "cheat?" I didn't think they necessarily had "open" relationships, just weren't restricted to a single pairing. It might be a guy and 2 girls in a relationship or the other way around, but I didn't think that a dude could just bang any piece of tail that wandered into a political party without ramification.

9. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Each person involved in a poly relationship will have their own rules. In general, the biggest rule is that of openness, if one is doing something in secret, it is likely because it wouldn't be approved of by their partner.

A good book on the subject is "The Ethical Slut."

10. Major

Major Member

I have some good friends that have a direct connection to Joseph Basel, and they say it's legit. I have no idea what to really make of this, but they say big things are coming. I'll see my friends tomorrow and see if they know anything more.

11. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

This is just a very transparent attempt to dethrone Joe Strauss as Speaker of the House. Now that the tea party/uber right wing of the Republican Party has full control of the Texas Senate, the last barrier for them is Joe Strauss.

Fortunately for Strauss, the Democrats keep voting for him to be speaker so he only needs a marginal number of Republicans to get a majority. But that wont stop his opponents from trying to destroy him at all costs. But man if Strauss loses, the House will go full crazy and stop voting on relevant bills altogether.

#11 geeimsobored, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
  12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This. If it were any other group with at least a modicum of true journalistic intent or integrity to "do the right thing" for the benefit of the people I'd think this might be a good thing.

Hannah Giles? She's no Nellie Bly.

From the article in Texas Monthly:

Yeh, right.

13. Major

Major Member

So I talked to my friends. They say it's real and that many legislators and staffers are very nervous. But they don't know what might be contained or if any particular group is targeted. We're both suspicious of the fact that its been leaked/announced that stuff is coming. Seems like if you have something, you release it right away if the goal is sunshine as a disinfectant. All delaying does is allow you the opportunity to blackmail people or be blackmailed yourself.

14. Commodore

The thought might be if they just dropped it without teasing it could get buried in the news cycle.

With something like this you make sure you have all ducks in a row (ethically and professionally) and prepare for what you think the response will be.

And you stagger the release, which gives people involved rope to hang themselves with until other shoes drop. It's much harder to lie if you don't know whether more is forthcoming.

Most of these hidden camera things involve the investigator suggesting bad behavior and the subject going along with it. It will be interesting to see if that's the case here or if it is done without any prompting.