1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hibbert vs. Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, May 27, 2013.

Tags:
?

Who has the brighter future

1. Asik

150 vote(s)
    37.6%
  2. Hibbert

249 vote(s)
    62.4%
  1. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

So you at least 70 of you guys are telling me that if Indiana called in the offseason to offer Hibbert for Asik straight up and everything money-wise worked out, you would say NO!

*Face Palm*

2. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Hibbert.

Asik is the more fundamentally sound player of the two. He's the better rebounder because of it, and because of the fact that he doesn't go for the blocked shot as often as most modern bigs.

I'd take Hibbert because he has more upside on offense. He didn't score much more than Omer, but I think this is largely due to the system. Hibbert has more touch around the basket, and would score a lot more than Omer in a free flowing offense like ours. Also, FT%. Hibbert is nearly 75% from the line, which is indicitive of his superior touch.

All that said, if we're taking current contracts into consideration, I'll take Asik and the $5m extra cap room.

3. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

As someone else already pointed out, that percentage started out low and went up as he healed, reaching 56%. Again, as I pointed out, you can't compare contested shots with open looks. He's not their first option, but Indiana does get the ball inside to him to let him post up. When Harden is driving to the basket with Lin/Parsons cutting and Delfino camping out in the perimeter (pretty much every Houston play ever), nobody in a 10 mile radius is paying attention to Asik.

I don't know about the comparison on defensive fundamentals. Omer has little to no athleticism and he came over from overseas, so he might have the edge on a strictly theoretical basis, but it's not like Hibbert is clueless. His effect on his opponents' offensive efficiency when he's on the floor is massive.

ps: Of course that wasn't meant to be taken seriously, but even if I favor Hibbert in this thread, I wouldn't wanna trade him straight up for Omer this off-season for obvious reasons.

4. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Come on Carl you are better then this, Hibbert has been a legit starter for longer, Asik will get better and on a better defensive team he would probably be in better running for defensive player of the year given this last season.

5. gate470

gate470 Rookie

Hibbert all day.

6. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

I would say not one but ...

[​IMG]

:grin:

7. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Hibbert is probably a better communicator on defense which is pretty important.

Just off the basis that I don't think anyone understands anything Asik says.

8. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

9. kvnzhangyay

kvnzhangyay Member

At least Asik doesn't watch King of the Hill during halftime (hopefully)

10. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Lol Hibbert is so ****ing overrated.

11. Edward77547

Edward77547 Member

From what I've heard from Pacer fans recently, this question is an insult to Asik...

12. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Honestly, I would still pick Hibbert. ONLY because he can shoot the 15 foot shot pretty well, but it looks like Asik is trying to add that shot in as well. Asik is so much better at rebounding and protecting the paint than Hibbert. No way a player as tall as Hibbert should be averaging less that 10 rebounds a game. I think the Pacers would love to have Asik and would probably be better.

13. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Hibbert has been such a disappointment man. Last year when he was looking like Kareem against the Heat I checked his stats and they weren't that impressive but I thought it was fine as the playoffs are his "coming out" and he'll have a great year this year. A legitimate argument could be made that he's regressed offensively since last year

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

It's a toss up.

Hibbert has more range and can catch passes, but a poor rebounder.
    Asik looks lost offensively (FTs have improved though, props), but rebounds very well.

Both are equal defensively. Hibbert better help-wise and Asik positionally

There's a give and take with each player. Overall pretty equal.

15. Da34Box

Da34Box Member

some better at rebounding is an understatement. Hibbert is 7'2" and only averages 7 boards a game. How does that work?

16. Da34Box

Da34Box Member

much better

17. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Asik..

I have Hibbert on my fantasy.. He's been TERRIBLE all season.

18. joesr

joesr Member

his team misses less? hahah

19. yummyhawtsauce

LOL INDY MISSES ALOT OF SHOTS...especially lately

20. Da34Box

Da34Box Member

I guess