1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Here's one eliminated from Father of the Year contention

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by leroy, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Obviously he can because he did.

2. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Shades of grey most likely. The mom didn't win any mother-of-the-year awards herself by cutting off the father's access to his 2 y/o daughter with leukemia.

This is a classic example of a child of divorce suffering because of parental power struggles.

3. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Stupid people breed more than smart people do.

4. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Agreed. Sounds like she started this game of using the daughter in a tug-of-war with the father. We don't know the entire family history, so we'll never know the whole truth. My guess: they're both jerks.

5. Major

Major Member

More on this, which puts the dad in a better light. But it's all spin, so who knows what the real story is.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/1...ip-go-to-child-whos-free-of-cancer/?hpt=hp_t2

The Disney World dreams of a 4-year-old Ohio girl who’s recovering from leukemia are on hold this week after plans for the Make-A-Wish Foundation to pay for the trip were scrapped.

The girl, McKenna May, completed intensive treatment in June for the cancer she was diagnosed with more than two years ago. It was that treatment that prevented her from going to Disney when the Make-A-Wish trip was first discussed in January 2011, McKenna’s grandmother, Lori Helppie, said Thursday.

But McKenna is now on once-a-month aftercare visits that would allow time for her to make the trip to the Magic Kingdom, her mother, Whitney Hughes, told CNN.

However, McKenna’s father, who was never married to Hughes, says now that she’s free of cancer, Make-A-Wish’s money would be better spent on terminally ill children who will never get to experience Disney otherwise.

He’s refusing to sign paperwork that would allow the foundation to pay for McKenna’s trip.

“There’s children out there that deserve a trip like this that will never get to experience it,” May, 28, told CNN Thursday. “My daughter can go when she’s older and can remember it. I’ll pay for it.”

Rather than pay upwards of $3,500 for McKenna and her family to go to Florida, May suggested the group just get the girl a $200 swing set for her backyard.[/b[

Susan McConnell, president and CEO of Make-A-Wish for Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana, told the Sentinel-Tribune of Bowling Green, Ohio, that McKenna’s certainly entitled to the organization’s help.

"The doctors are the ones who determine if she is qualified," the paper quoted McConnell as saying. McConnell did not immediately respond to messages left by CNN Thursday.

Hughes agrees with McConnell, saying her daughter endured a lot during her treatment and deserves the Florida trip.

"She's really excited," Hughes told the Sentinel-Tribune, which first published accounts of McKenna’s story this week. "It's all she's talked about for the last three months."

After May refused to sign off on the trip last month, Hughes withdrew her request with the Make-A-Wish Foundation and tried to raise money privately, putting out collection jars around the area where they live and setting up an online donation site.

6. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

This whole week sports center has been showing stories of make a wish kids meeting their favorite athlete. None of them are dying, they all went through tough illnesses though. Make a wish isn't just for kids who are about to die.

This guy clearly did this out of spite and he even said so in the same article.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This line got me thinking that while it's touching to see kids who have struggled with a horrible condition getting to go Disneyworld or meeting Hellboy what about all of those children who are dying from starvation and preventable diseases throughout the world? It seems like the money Make A Wish spent on sending one American kid to DisneyWorld could improve the lives of thousands of kids in the third world.

8. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

but you could extrapolate that line of reasoning indefinitely.

sorry, guy's a douche. i don't believe for a second he had any altruistic motive.

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not defending the guy but I am just wondering about priorities. I don't think the people at Make A Wish are bad, in fact I've donate money to them, but it does make you wonder about what are the best ways to reduce suffering in the world.