1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Here's how West will finish . . . [ESPN Insider]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jd3, Dec 8, 2005.

1. jd3

jd3 Contributing Member

Hope this has not been posted yet, no love for the rockets... :rolleyes:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-051207

Here's how West will finish . . .
    By Greg Anthony
    ESPN Insider

The Western Conference has been an 800-pound gorilla, ruling the NBA in recent years. But now we've seen a reversal. I don't think any team from the West, other than the Spurs, has a chance to win it all. The next two or maybe three teams that could win it after the Spurs come from the East. Here's how I see the West seeding come playoff time:

1. Spurs. I've talked about Detroit having the best frontcourt and backcourt, but the Spurs have the best trio with Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker and Tim Duncan. Gregg Popovich is the best coach in the game.

2. Suns. It's a tribute to the team that it is playing as well as it is right now, without Amare Stoudemire. Mike D'Antoni imposed his philosophy and style on the league. His formula's working again this year. Boris Diaw and James Jones have come in and boosted them on the perimeter.

3. Nuggets. Marcus Camby's health and Carmelo Anthony's improvement will determine to what degree Denver will be a factor in playoffs. Anthony simply needs to go to another level offensively and defensively. Denver gets this high seed by virtue of winning the Northwest.

4. Mavericks. You still have to worry about their leadership on the court, and that's going to be controlled by Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Terry. A full year under Avery Johnson has helped develop their defensive disposition. Josh Howard has given them some good versatility.

5. Grizzlies. Eddie Jones has had a huge impact, especially on the defensive end. And he's given them a good second scoring option after Pau Gasol. I think they got great point play from Earl Watson and Jason Williams the last couple of years, but it's been even better with Bobby Jackson and Damon Stoudamire.

6. Sonics. They're obviously making the adjustment under coach Bob Weiss. Luke Ridnour and Ray Allen are keys. Last year was big for the team's confidence. I think they'll have enough for the playoffs.

7. Clippers. In the playoffs. The Clippers. It's hard for me to mouth those words. But I do like their coach, Mike Dunleavy, and the team's got a high basketball IQ with Elton Brand and Sam Cassell. Their mix of talent is very good. But will Sam be able to play at this level the entire season?

8. Lakers. I think they have too great a coach and too great a player in Kobe Bryant to not figure it out. Kobe is going to have to learn how to be a winner as the best player on his team. He's never had to do that before.

Bubble teams

Warriors. This team has always had injuries. And I can't remember the last time Baron Davis played a full season.

Rockets. Yao hasn't gotten that much better. He just hasn't been that dominant player that people have labeled him. And the moves in offseason were not that good.

2. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

For a national pub to even list the Rockets as a bubble team right now is a compliment. ;) See, who says Houston don't get no respect?

3. superden

superden Contributing Member

yao isnt this yao isnt that.. blah blah blah.

4. zhao1109

zhao1109 Contributing Member

this season still has 60+ games left. My god!

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

what do you expect? why should they have us in the playoff picture when we have one of the worst records in the league this far into the season?

6. alexdapooh

alexdapooh Contributing Member

... and that is why I don't pay for this crap.

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

exactly.

with our record how can we complain about not be included in the playoff picture? name another team with a similar record to ours and see if anyone is putting them in the playoff race.

i think we can make the playoffs, but i'm not counting on it, and i'm surely not blaming people who aren't fans of the team for counting us out already.

8. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

Greg Anthony is a moron. To have the Lakers as a playoff team is sheer idiocy. Neverthelss, the Rockets current record definitely discounts them from a top eight listing for now. One other thing I take issue with, how can he not credit Steve Nash with the Suns play? It's obvious that Nash, not Stoudemire, is there engine...

9. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

looks like we'll have to take them by surprise for the #1 seed.

perfect.

10. run-bdp

run-bdp Member

#1 seed? I'll take whatever he's smoking.

11. liu1107

liu1107 Contributing Member

maybe we planned this.. at first play like bunch of morons( on purpose), when everyone loses focus on our ability to compete, then we pop out as 7th or 8th seed and give west No.1 a Pow Wow Surprise, Burn!!!!! then we win championship. Now you see how smart JVG is?

12. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

Anthony has always been a Yao hater.

13. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Being realistic, I wouldn't mind the Rockets ending up around the #6 seed and getting whoever wins the Northwest division in the playoffs. I think the #6 seed might be the highest the Rockets can climb out of this hole...And even that might even be a long shot.

14. WizzyWig

WizzyWig Member

I think we will be 6th seed.

If we are 7th or 8th...I bet those 1 and 2 teams will be scared ****less.

15. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

16. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Actually, G-Money is giving the Rockets more 'love' than they deserve at this point.

Overall, I agree with his assessment as far as those teams being the most likely to make it, but I am holding hope for the Rox to get their act together, which G.A. seems to be doing...

17. scutmb

scutmb Contributing Member

If we win tongiht's game, then only one game difference from last year in the first 17 games. Why are so many people panic here?

18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Him and his life partner Scream A Smith

19. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

TMac had one healthy back all last year, the early record was to figure out and gel together. This year, we don't know yet. Another sitout will make us lottery bound. We are too vulnerable now.

20. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Anthony has been riding the Lakers jock all season long.....for what reason, I don't know.

He even went so far as to call them the sleeper to WIN THE CONFERENCE.

:confused: :confused: :confused: