1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Here's an Image for those Annoyed with the Spurs Lovefest

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by heypartner, Jun 29, 2014.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Damn those are nba2k14 type stats.

3. heypartner

I will never forget in game 1, Robinson did his bull rush move to the basket and Hakeem was there to take Robinson shoulder straight into Hakeem's sternum and the refs called both blocking charges

The second was about 8 minutes into the 1st quarter for Hakeem's 2nd foul

You know what Rudy did. He ran out to the court and said I'm not leaving this court until you kick me out of the game. Which they did. But Robinson never got that call again

Rudy

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

if Robinson wasn't such a classy guy, It would be worth a try to get him to autograph a 95 Hakeem jersey just to see his reaction.

5. heypartner

Or better yet, get him to sign one of his jockstraps that he left on the floor

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

piss poor response hp.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Those numbers are crazy. Against the MVP, 1st team defensive center, and the #1 seeded team too. Epic.

8. heypartner

Here is Akeem's numbers against the two time defending champions Magic and Kareem in Akeem's second year in the NBA.

This was a 23yr old second yr Akeem taking on Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Magic and the Lakers

1986, five game series when the Rockets/Akeem took out Magic in 4 straight games, after losing the first.

31ppg
    11.2rb
    4 blocks
    52% FGA

and this includes him getting kicked out of the 5th game at the start of the 4th Q because Pat Riley ordered Kupchak to get into a fight with Akeem, because Riley knew that was his only chance. Akeem had 30 pts when Kupchak started the fight.

#8 heypartner, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  9. heypartner

I remember after Game 4 in 1986, they asked Pat Riley down 3-1 what he's going to do.

Pat Riley said:

"We didn't know how good Akeem Olajuwon was. I don't know what we are going to do. We are obviously going to have to do something different than the first 4 games."

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

11. heypartner

hmmm...if Hakeem is a 9 on blocks, who is a 10?

12. heypartner

and here is Akeem in 1988 after 3 of his guards get kicked out of the league for cocaine and Sampson goes down.

This is a four game loss to Dallas surrounded by no one:

37.5 PPG
    16.8 RPG
    .571 FGA
    2.8 blocks

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

and a 3 on steals????

He was I think top 10 all time I. Steals when he retired, but not anymore now that guys like Gary Payton have passed him up. But he was still exceptional at that.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Never mind I looked he is still number 9!!! Guy was on par with Jordan I don't care what you say.

15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I will add three things here.

1) Those are some insane numbers even by a young Akeem. I never understood the myth that I have seen some people propagate that he was not that good early on and became dominant only in early-mid 90s. He was dominant from the very beginning. You dont put up those kind of numbers and dethrone the WC champs if you are not dominant.

It is a shame that atleast 6 of his years were wasted by a team that broke down for various reasons and the management that could not rebuild quickly enough around him and wasted his talent.

2) As I said, the numbers he put early on were insane. But what makes those numbers even more remarkable is if you consider that he hadn't picked up a basketball until only a few years earlier. He began playing basketball at the age of 16. He could not even play on the team at UH when he first got there because he was so raw. To pick a new sport up, not even be able to play at the university level initially, and then in a matter of 3-4 years become so good so as to dethrone a Magic/Kareem/Worthy led WC champions in his second year as a pro is incredible.

3) Lastly, I wish there was NBA coverage during his career like we have today (internet, TV, social media etc etc.). People would be able to watch him play and talk about him and most probably come to the same conclusion that I have.....

Michael Jordan and Hakeem Olajuwon were two of the most complete players ever to play in the NBA. They dominated both ends of the court, were fierce competitors, did not have any glaring weaknesses to their game, dominated their position and their counter parts, and more importantly, as good as they were in the regular season, both took their game to a completely different level once the playoffs started.

Both were once-in-a-lifetime-player and I feel privileged to have followed their careers.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is why you pick up African kids early on and let them play soccer or basketball or football

17. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Those numbers are unreal

18. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

One of the greatest Centers ever to play basketball.

19. torocan

torocan Member

Hakeem was a legendary talent and an all-timer. Nobody will ever dispute that. Even the most ardent Duncan supporters acknowledge that Hakeem at his peak was probably the best the NBA has ever seen.

Was his career better than Duncan's? Folks can debate it all day but I'll leave that for history to decide, especially since Duncan's story is still being written.

And what does this have to do with the Spurs as an organization?

20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Sick numbers..... and Dream did it pretty. Best moves the league has ever seen.

Perhaps because it was against the Spurs.