1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Here It Comes...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, Feb 23, 2009.

Tags:
  1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Oregon has a huge budget shortfall... 30-40% by some accounts. One of the measures proposed to deal with this is to cut school funding. We're looking at dropping 18 days between now and the end of the year (from what is already one of the shortest school years in the country). We may get a 2 week Spring Break and then go 4 days a week instead of 5. Similar actions are being considered for next year, including a reduction in teachers/increase in class size. That means that by the time my 1st grader hits high school, she may have missed out on an entire school year.

This sucks.

2. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Oregon's shortfall can be partially remedied by re-instating a sales tax of ~8.25%.

3. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yes it does. but then, we've all made our choices, and this is what we're left with.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The larger teacher to student ratio really sucks for the students. That's too bad. It's horrible that all of these future generations of students will be punished because of this stuff.

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Yep. Oregon has this rep as a whacked out left-winger state, but there are some definite conservative strongholds and they're often strong enough to stand in the way of anything sensible.

( I think 8.25 is too high. I'd be OK with 3-5.)

6. Major

Major Member

How do a state end up with a 30-40% shortfall? Did tax revenues drop that much? Or was spending going up at a crazy pace? I can see that over several years, but how do you end up 40% off in 1 yr?

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

It seems like outside of Portland and Eugene, the rest of the state is pretty conservative. Seriously, the sales tax would help solve a good bit of the state's budget shortfall. Hell, out here in California they're actualy raising it about 1% from 8.25% to about 9.25%.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You'd think they'd cut a llot more of the bureaucracy rather than have the kids in school less.

I guess it is hard to fire union people, though.

9. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

The only way the sales tax would pass would be to lower the state income tax rate which is currently at 9%. That's one of the reasons revenues can be so up and down. When the economy is strong the income tax revenues really kick in.

10. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Sadly Americans, including school kids, will have to suffer more until the conservative anti-tax, anti-government craze has been even more exposed.

11. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Only a kook fringe liberal would point to a Democratic-governed state like Oregon and blame conservatives for the problem. Clueless.

12. deepblue

deepblue Member

LOL, Oregon has a dem governor, a dem majority senate and house. Talk about just making stuff up, what a freaking idiot.

13. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Why is it that politicians always axe education when trying to cut budgets. Isn't this sort of thinking one of the main reasons why USA is losing the #1 status on economy in the world? Yes, I know this specific example isn't university level but still, you gotta focus on the roots.

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes because Mississippi's budget is in such great shape.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

private school

16. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

oregon has an easy solution...

legalize

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because for states education is often one of the biggest parts of the budget.

Anyway that sucks Rimrocker. A couple of rural Minnesota school districts have gone to a 4 day week so this could become a nationwide trend. Oregon's problems are bad but they're not alone as every state not called North Dakota are facing budget problems.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I don't know if it's the case in Oregon, but I know in Lakeville, MN (and other suburban school districts), they offer a ridiculous amount of high school classes. While it is nice to have a number of options to choose from, these are classes that could easily be cut and I doubt anyone would notice.

Examples:

Interior Design and Housing Trends
    Basic Foods
    Creative Foods
    Textiles and Fabric Arts
    Building Construction and Applied Architecture
    Women in Engineering
    Introduction to Sports Medicine
    Broadcast Media
    Film Analysis

The list could go on and on. None of the classes I listed are AP or Honors classes, simply electives any student can take. If the students want to be that well rounded, have them take these types of classes before or after school and pay for them.

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It is sort of sad as we have to cut public schools since we are so poor.

Things might get desperate enough that we may have to skip a war or two for awhile.

20. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

Maybe they should consider allowing offshore drilling. Oil companies are looking to spend money on development and I'm sure Oregon could use some of the jobs and revenue that it creates. But than again..that would be too easy of a helpful solution.