1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

help with mlb.tv

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by bronxfan, Apr 13, 2007.

1. bronxfan

bronxfan Contributing Member

i'm one of those unfortunate saps who lost mlb extra innings (i have dish network and cannot change due to spousal reasons) this year.

i've been hoping a deal was forthcoming but i just about lost hope.

in any event, i was wondering if anyone can tell me is mlb.tv worth it. i have a dish dvr and in the past this was great because i could easily watch a 3 hr game in 1 hr by fastforwarding through commercials and between pitches.... (this is essential to keep the peace in the house)

my question are with mlb.tv
    1. can i fastforward easily (or even rewind a few seconds). i know they have "condensed games" but sometimes i like to watch every pitch to a certain hitter.

2. can i pause and easily restart if i have a phone call, etc.

3. often i watch games 2-3 hrs after they start and so do they have a webpage (which i would make a favorite and go straight to) that would allow me to link to a game without accidently seeing the score?

4. if my kids surf the net on another computer (same networked modem) will the quality significantly go down?

5. i know they have a 5 day trial period, but if i want to cancel lets say in 2 week because dish gets a deal with Extra Innings, will they let me pay 1 month rate? (i know this is a longshot, but is the main reason i've been hesitant so far).

thanks in advance for your help

2. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Watching it live, you can only watch it. No pause. No Fast Forward. No rewind.

When you watch it "archived" you can do all of the above. Not sure how easy to fast forward it between pitches would be since it is basically a windows media file and you can really only jump forward.

If you do get it, make sure you pay a little extra for the premium package so you can watch at 700 kbps this year which is much better to watch on.

The game archive is usually available about an hour after the game is over. You can access from a bookmarked page that does not have the score. When the game loads, you have to specifically hit a button for it to show the score.

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

1. no (if you're watching live...not sure otherwise)

2. no (if you're watching live...not sure otherwise)

3. not sure

4. my internet quality isn't that great...and other computers still function just fine on the same network. Assuming you're on the 300k stream (the Premium package is full of problems right now..at least for me it was)

5. Just sign up for 1 month at a time (I think it might automatically renew unless you cancel within 3 days of the next month). The price is the same this year for season-long vs. month-by-month..

4. RocketManJosh

That's weird ... I've had no problem with the 700k stream at all this year and it has been virtually analog TV quality.

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I've had some lag with the 700k stream, and I don't think my internet is THAT bad.

But more than that, I've had horrible problems with the application mlb released. The player tracker doesn't update with players, the single view freezes often, the multiple-views thing freezes somewhat, but whichever one has the audio is horrible quality (when it multi view...fine in single view)

6. P. Moon

P. Moon Member

The application is terrible. I just stick with watching the 700 version on the internet.

7. RocketManJosh

Yeah the MLB Mosaic is worthless right now. I've called them and apparently they are working on it, but I'll bet it doesn't get much better this season.

8. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

What do you have to do to watch blacked out Astros games in market? Is it just a matter of your billing zip code?

9. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Nope. Not that easy. They track where you log in from also and it's hard to get around. I tried using my gf's account when she lived out of state, and I was blacked out for the live Stro's games. You can try using a proxy server but i've read that those are pretty useless when it comes to this also.

10. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

You mean you guys can't fast forward during a live game? Maybe you should upgrade to premium :)