1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HELP] Shipment through UPS got stolen.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SwoLy-D, Dec 5, 2012.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Dear ClutchFan brothers:

I'm hoping that one or some of you, the people I know are constantly ordering items online and are receiving shipments, can either HELP on how I can at least recuperate some stuff I've lost, GIVE ADVICE on actions I can take, or LEARN from my situation. :eek:

Back story
    I ordered a camera from a person online. I thought that sending it to my parents' house, who I know are always home, would be the safest thing. The area where they live is low-income, not a popular place to visit and not the safest. The only time I was hoping they'd be home, it wasn't... alas. I called my parents, and they said they had not received or signed for anything or seen UPS the day they reported it delivered. My dad then remembered they stepped out for a few minutes.

I then looked up the shipment tracking on UPS, they said it was "delivered to the front door", which to me seemed weird, since my parents have a dog and they have a fence, too. I called UPS, who said only senders can investigate. I contacted the sender, and he started the investigation, but they only told him what the report said. They said they weren't liable for loss after the delivery was made. I believe the item was stolen. I cannot prove that, however.

In the entire time I've ordered items, I've had no problems with UPS, FedEx or US Postal Service. I'd figured this was a heavy item (8 lbs.) and they'd at least ask for confirmation with signature. The sender didn't require one, and there was no insurance, either. Still, the package could be a bit more "noticeable", since it was bigger than what I usually order.

Suggestions for shipping companies
    Here's what I think I can at least get UPS to either change, or modify, so this doesn't happen to anyone else:
    1) change the delivery options to always require a signature after a certain weight.
    2) if there is no one home or no one signs, DO NOT leave the package leave an "attempt" deliver. I believe FedEx does this. I've gone to their office after they've failed to deliver before.
    3) Assist the customer, either the sender or recipient, on signing an affidavit of loss, or something to the likes, to recover lost or damaged goods even if there isn't insurance (insurance should be for full coverage).

---------------------------

:( I hope it doesn't happen to any of you, brothers.

:confused: What do you suggest, advice, or think I can still do? Mind you, the delivery happened on Monday, and I think it might be a bit late to do something. I'm out the money and the item. I've already had an earful from peeps who said "why not send it to your office or home?"

---------------------------

Cliff's notes
    Shipment was lost, possibly stolen, at my parents' house after delivery. What to do? :(

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I've lost some computer parts from UPS.

Their drivers pretty much just knock at the door, leave the package right there (no matter how big it is) and drive off.

I called the company that I ordered it from (Newegg) and it was eventually solved. Got full refund. Usually if you are ordering from a company they will take it up with UPS and get it solve.

But since you ordered it from a person.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

That's what she said :eek:

1 person likes this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That's why I have all my stuff delivered to my office.

Sorry you got ganked Swoly

1 person likes this.
  5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

An emoticon-filled email should do the trick

Dear UPS ;):

I saw that my package was delivered, but when I went to the door it was gone and I was :confused:. When I looked up the tracking number, it said it was delivered and I am :mad:. Please refund my money and all will be :cool:. If not, :eek::(:mad:

Signed,
    SD

3 people like this.
  6. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

I got some speakers delivered from amazon last week and they put the package behind some bushes out of the view of the door. I had no idea it was there until later when i actually went outside and looked, thankfully I found it when I did because it had just started raining. Highly unlikely in your case, but is there any chance they might have hid it a little bit out of view and you missed it? Other than that you might be out of luck, unfortunately. My father used to own a busines that shipped stuff to people quite often and this kind of thing happened from time to time. It's not good, but it does happen.

1 person likes this.
  7. SwoLy-D

LOL @ TWSS. Nice one, Mr.. :grin:
    I have only been here working for 2 months so I didn't think I should be receiving personal items just yet. Yeah, I know. I KNOW. A stern talking to would have been better than stolen goods. :(

We looked ERRRwhere, BigBird. Couldn't find it. THere are almost no places where they could have hidden it, though.

8. VanityHalfBlack

Happens to me on occasions... I've never had my stuff stolen/lost through UPS.... USPS on the other hand,always screws me over, I hate them....

1 person likes this.
  9. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

my UPS driver sucks in my area. I ordered my 42in TV from Amazon on Black Friday, was home ALL day, while going downstairs with my niece, I saw the UPS driver walk back to his vehicle who just dropped the TV off without knocking or ringing the doorbell, I was sooooo frustrated I almost ran out to catch him and tell him off.

You should be able to open a case with UPS even if the sender did. I'm going through a similar situation as a seller through Ebay. The USPS tracking said it was delivered yet the buyer messages me 10 days later that he didn't get it. Ebay says that I've done all I can since I provided a tracking number that shows delivered and they would take care of the buyer.

1 person likes this.
  10. SwoLy-D

I'll raise some H-E-double-hockey-sticks! :mad:

I will. I hope it happens to none of you.

AND THEN my wife sends me this:
    http://www.click2houston.com/news/T...ches/-/1735978/17638472/-/aa7rhr/-/index.html - VIDEO

[​IMG]

:cool:, because that's what WORKS here. :) Nice.

11. tharges

tharges Member

Swoly,
    Its up to UPS to prove it was delivered to your parents door. File a claim with them and get the receipt from the sender. UPS could have delivered to anyones front door in their neighborhood. Play dumb until the respond, but force the issue of it being a christmas gift and that may make the claim go faster. With cyber monday shipments and the holiday this is expected.

1 person likes this.
  12. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Did you order through paypal or ebay? Use a credit card? Ebay and paypal have stricter standards than "left at door". They require a signature as proof of delivery. You should be able to either start a chargeback with your credit card co or file a non-receipt claim with either ebay or paypal.

1 person likes this.
  13. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

UPS can suck ass sometimes. anytime I order something and have it delivered to my apartment (my apartment has a door to enter the patio, and in the patio is my front door) They will sometimes leave the package outside the patio doorway, which anyone walking up the stairs could see and just take.

Probably should have delivered it to a business or somewhere that needs to have someone receive it.

Sorry for your loss :(

1 person likes this.
  14. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

have you tried your neighbors? i've had my packages misdelivered twice but I could only confirm it was given to my neighbors once. I was home all day and saw the UPS guy drop off a box at my neighbor's. Sweet, I thought. until he drove off. i was expecting it delivered that day so i went over and sure enough, the package belonged to me. This was the second time it was misdelivered.

The first time I didn't think about asking the neighbor because Amazon was awesome enough to send another one. It was a scooter i ordered. when i saw the neighbor kid riding a scooter a week later, I had my suspicion that they just kept it.

1 person likes this.
  15. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

That's true. I got delivered someone else's package before at my complex because we had similar apartment #s. I always give them their package right away because I wouldnt want someone taking my package.

16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

17. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Not all credit cards do this, but some will insure against things like this and basically give the money back to you. I know our Amex does this.

1 person likes this.
  18. SwoLy-D

Thank you, tharges. I will do that.

white lightning: No, I didn't order from an online retailer; it was from another person.

I'll try that, macalu, Thanks.

:cool:

19. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

UPS has a service called my choice, which is free btw. This service alerts u via an email when u have a package coming your way. You can log in to your account and specify whether or not the driver can leave the package if u aren't home. I signed up over 6 months ago because I had the opposite problem, I was never home when they tried to deliver and so they would just leave notes. Now, I don't have to worry about it and my package is left for me on my balcony porch. Maybe it doesn't help u now, but hopefully its useful info for others.

20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I been lucky so far with my Christmas presents. I've ordered a lot of stuff and everything has been left on the front door where anyone can walk up and take it. :mad: