1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Help Request for posting our Salary Cap commitments

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Dec 14, 1999.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I can't find Salary Cap numbers for the Rockets, so have done the research myself with the aid of several wonderful people from the usenet caves. We have a couple of holes to fill:

Anyone remember what Cato's extension was for? base year $ and # of years.

What is Hakeem at next year?

When we get these two numbers we will have a very close approximation of our salary cap room next year, and will post what we can afford next year and what our exemptions are.

The goal is to get others to offer more accurrate numbers, and eventually being a good reference for the trade/free agent speculation we are facing.

thx for any input

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited December 14, 1999).]

2. Scroll down to december 12th and the post is titled

Answers to your Rox Salary cap quesitons

3. heypartner

thx. I saw that post. It is very different than what we've been working on. I do appreciate the post, but we happen to dispute some of it.

can you tell me where you got those numbers for Hakeem and Cato. I do not recall cato being that high. In fact, I think that salary is illegal according to the collective bargaining agreement. Here's an excerpt:

Cato would have been paid $6.3 million this year to get that raise. Francis will not be close to that his third year. We do not believe your $7 million is correct.

We have you off by over $1m for Walt. Where'd you get that.

Also, your other numbers are not accurate regarding players in their final year. They only count a small percentage above their current contracts UNTIL SIGNED.

Thus,
    Mobley counts 300% cause he's a Larry Bird player, but he's at the minimun, so that's in the $1.6m range he will count UNTIL signed.

Hamilton is minimum with no Larry Bird rights==he'll count the minimun

Massenburg will count approx $1.3 UNTIL signed as a Larry Bird not off rookie scale

Plus the biggie, draft picks only count the slot salary UNTIL signed, which won't be the $3-4mil you suggest, in sum or any other way you slice it.

We are trying to gain some accuracy. We appreciate all input. Tell me where you got you numbers. We'll check them against ours and resubmit. We have calculated a possible $4M available for Maurice Taylor quality. help us here. let's not argue. I'm not trying to proove you wrong.

Let's get this right. thx

4. heypartner

forget my quote. that's for renegotiations. not extensions. I can't find anything for extensions concerning raising limits other than the maximun salary limit, which is $7.

We have him around $3-3.5, but no way to confirm

5. There's a reason there isn't any sites dedicated to individual yearly payments as far as salaries go (in the future). Mostly because contracts are back heavy without any true way to know until that current year, what a player is slated to make.

Walts contract is 5 years 20 million. Can be checked at NBAtalk.com. Which if you averaged it out, your right id be about 1 million off. As I remember Walt's deal was back laiden with his final years coming in at close to 5 million a season.

From what I read, Cato signed a 6 year 42 million dollar deal. It was all over this site, but when I did a search, posts from October have disappeared. This figure was posted (as I remember) from the AP. So if you don't mind paying for stories, you can go to ap.org and pay for the story.

Hamilton is making the minimum this year, but he has a 2 year deal that pays him slightly more next year. Closer to half a million. At least as I remember, when the story broke.

Tmass will not have bird rights with the Rox next year, so he will have to be resigned (if so) out of cap space.

Francis deal is a 3 year 7.6 million deal. With a team option of a 4th year at 4.3 million (see the Washington posts article posted in hear for the final year figure). Making it a total deal of 4 years 11.9. (see NBAtalk.com) His progressive salary for the first 3 years is very easy to predict from hear. 3 years 7.6 = an average of close to 2.5 a year. Actually I believe it goes 2.3 for the 1st year, 2.5 second year, and 2.8 for his 3rd season.

Hakeem in 98 got paid 11.1 million dollars. Figures I just did all that searching and forgot the sight, but if need be Ill refind it and post it. In 99 he's slated to make around 12 million. That 23 million. Natural progression (ie Scottie Quitten) with superstars, pays huge chuncks in their final years. Roughtly 15 million. 15+23= 38 million. Leaving the first two years to be divided over 17 million. Meaning his deal looks like this.

2000-15 million
    1999-12 million
    1998-11 million
    1997-9 million
    1996-8 million. Lets remember in 96 8 million a season was top of the food chain, basically.

If the Rox get a very high Draft pick of their own, and assuming the Magic flop like they should the rest of the way, the Rox could very easily pick up 3-4 million in Rookie contracts. Next years Rookie limits will be higher than this years. And as I already pointed out Francis is making 2.3 this year. Meaning if they get something even like the 12th pick from Orlando, they could spend 2 million on their own pick, 1 million with the Orlando pick, and if they pick well, some more with a 2nd rounder.

I know you can back trace through the AP wire through 97. Meaning you couldn't find Hakeems or Walts deals in there.

6. heypartner

Dream,

great thanks.

About the backladen stuff...the new CBA has made it easier by imposing maximum raises per year. Hakeem doesnt' fall under that (making it difficult to know w/o insider info what he's making next year). But with Cato, he can only get a 12.5% raise, calculated off the base year (not compounded).

Based on that, we have him down for $5 million next year, with a $625k raise every year. That puts him at $42.5 in 6 years. What do you think?

Some differences we have:
    1. Hamilton for one year...you statement about a significant raise the 2nd I believe would be against the new CBA. He would be limited to a 10% raise.

2. I have Tmass in the 3rd yr of his contract. That gives him Bird rights; those rights indeed move to the new team through trades. Anyhow, his salary counts 250% to the cap as a free agent, until signed. that's where I get my number.

3. Francis's deal is easily calculated, the league sets the max in stone for rookies.

Lastly, you mention the ap wires. does the public have direct access to it: or do you go through the news outlets: nbatalk.com

thx again

7. Heypartner

Hakeems contract is pretty much accurate

You may be right about Cato. I just
    remember it being a 6 year 42 million
    deal. I didn't know the exact payment by
    years so I did the dividing thing. 5
    million may be correct, for next year.
    Meaning that he's going to get some huge
    payments in the final years.

Hamilton's increase would put him at
    about .4 million. I just rounded to make
    it easier.

And I didn't count TMass anyways. They
    may not even sign him back. If they do,
    and for some reason the Rox fall under
    the cap (which isn't going to happen)
    then his figure would eat up any cap
    space anyways.

You can go to ap.org, and do a search.
    Find who your looking for, and do an
    advanced search to get the story. But
    you have to pay per story. Problem is if
    you pick the wrong story that doesn't
    have the exact details you just wasted
    your money.

8. Last one too.

Actually were talking about Cato's salary after this season. Or 5.3 + 667K so his salary will be 6 million. Saving only 1 million.

Walt is making 5 million after this season. His contract was signed a while ago. Outside of the New CBA

So all in all my figure was off by 1 million on Cato.

Good luck.

9. heypartner

ah...

you saying Cato's 3rd year of his rookie scale (this year) was renogotiated...i don't think that's it.

I believe that's illegal. Rookie scale players can't renogotiate. Think about if they could: you'd have a huge loop hole that would bring hold-out tactics back into play....only this time, it would come after year 1, not before.

I'm totally under the impression he's being paid under his old contract through it's completion. We simply locked him up for another 6 years before he becomes a free agent.

10. I was under the impression that you could do such a thing. If you were in your 3rd and final year of your origianl contract. Isn't that what Mo Taylor was seeking at the beginning of the year.

His agent was saying either renegotiate
    him to the max now (9 million). Or watch him walk at the end of the season, no
    matter what they offered.

Mo is in his 3rd year this year, and I know he wanted to renegotiate for the max this year.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

No, I believe the situation with Taylor was he wanted an extension before the season started. Here's a quote from NBATalk.com:

Clippers Nearing Deadline in Maurice Taylor Discussions David Falk has given the
    Clippers until Sept. 8th to sign Maurice Taylor to a contract extension or lose him next
    year to free agency. Falk says that nothing less than the maximum will do for his client.
    The Clippers, who have a history of waffling on such things are faced with a tough
    dilemma. And as J. Adande of the LA Times writes, The Clippers Just Can't Afford to
    Lose Taylor. If they do, they will be forever doomed to NBA purgatory.

Likewise, Cato's contract is an extension, not a renegotiation. Here's another quote:

Thomas' value
    apparently increased when Houston signed Kelvin Cato, a backup center his first two
    years in the league, to a six-year extension thought to be worth almost $40 million.

12. heypartner

yes...i think what we are hearing from the agents is their client doesn't want to talk during their third year...either sign the extension contract now or we walk at the end of year.

i don't read that strategy as implying a renegotiation of the final year of an existing rookie scale contract. Renegotiations are a total different ball of wax, and i'm pretty confident rookie scale contracts cannot be renegotiated. The league locked them in to a scale after Glenn Robinson threatened hold-out for $100m in '94. The scale was introduced in '95.

13. heypartner

Juan

thx for the input.

A correction: Blinebury's column today called Cato the $42 million man. Can we all agree on the $42.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm fine with 42. I posted the quote for the word 'extension' not for the number, which was obviously undisclosed at the time of the article.

15. heypartner

Last post...I think we have a consensus. thx for the dream info.

As for the Cato thing, it is the law now; raises are capped. Signing our own free agents/extension raises are capped at 12.5% raise per year. New acquisitions are capped at 10%. The difference shows the advantage the league is trying to give the home team. Huge back-ended raises aren't allowed anymore.

So, mathematically, if Cato is getting a raise of 12.5% per year, then we can calculate his first year at $5.333 m.

That's where we are coming from. So, it would be:

Base________Accumulating Raises
    y1 $5,333
    y2 $5,333 + $667
    y3 $5,333 + $667 + $667
    y4 $5,333 + $667 + $667 + $667
    y5 $5,333 + $667 + $667 + $667 + $667
    y6 $5,333 + $667 + $667 + $667 + $667 + $667

This adds up to $42 million exactly.

I list raises like this cause they are not compounded 12.5% each year. The raise amt number is set in stone off of the base year.

So, I think I saved you $3m between Cato and Walt, but we underestimated Hakeem. You are clearly right that we are over the cap. There are no Hills and Duncan in the future. No Maurice Taylors probably either, based on your Hakeem numbers.

I'll post our numbers soon.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited December 15, 1999).]