1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HELP] Networking problem...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by couch_pot8o, Nov 8, 2008.

1. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

Hey guys! I need help to all technology savvy people in regards to networking. I'm having trouble playing online with my PS3 and Xbox 360 due to wireless signal being weak in my room or the router could not handle the load of online gaming. I would get a better router but due to circumstances that is too long to explain, changing it is not an option. Also, using a very long ethernet cable will also be out of the question. Because of the limited options, what is the best thing that you guys can recommended? Should I buy a secondary router and set it up in my room but wouldn't I need to have a host computer? Are there any equipment that might be able to strengthen the signal? Thanks in advance guys!!

2. JD2010

JD2010 Member

You might want to change the channel your router broadcasts on. Sometimes cordless phone and other electronics interfere with the router signal

3. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

What's the make and model of your router?

4. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

Here's my advice:

If you have one of the routers on this list, you can flash it with the DD-WRT firmware. This firmware will allow you to boost your wireless signal. Factory default on most wireless routers is around 33mw, and this firmware will allow you to bump yours up to 255...but keep it below 100 or you will burn your router out. I have it on my router and I can get a signal across the street.

If your router isn't on the list, I suggest you sell it and get one that IS on the list. DD-WRT rocks.

5. JD2010

JD2010 Member

I just upgraded my firmware to dd-wrt and my wireless signal is real strong now!