1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Help me lose weight !!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gr8-1, Sep 15, 2000.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

** Challenge **

Everybody take a picture of themselves, crop off the head so your not completely out, post your pic here.

Then, for 3 months, do your own versions of the balanced meal/workout routine, come back here, and post your pic.

Whomever wins acquires not only self-esteem but a free trip to McDonald's for a sponsored "Massacre at little Big Mac" [​IMG].

I'll start. I will not crop my head out:

<u>Before</u>
    [​IMG]
    ----> 1 month ----> 2 months ----> 3 months
    <u>After</u>
    [​IMG]

Just trying to instill some humour into a slow, hot, horrible period of inactivity of Rockets basketball.

[This message has been edited by Surfguy (edited September 16, 2000).]

2. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

im 13 5'5 and 120. which i consider a little heavy, but im not that muscular and i only have around 12% body fat. and i dont get how i can have that weight. how much i hate this phrase but.. Big boned? lol

3. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

5'5" 120 is not heavy, I assure you.

------------------
    "The road to hell is paved with Republicans." :)

4. vj23k

gosh, dreamer, must have some strong legs...how much do you bench?

5. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

vj23k,

The most I've ever benched is 325. I couldn't do that tomorrow mind you.

But, I like squats and I don't like bench press very much.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

6. vj23k

thats still pretty good, are you a pro athlete? i know alot of people here are, im just wondering

7. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

lol

"Pro Athlete"? umm, no.

There aren't many 5'9" 235+ lb pro athletes. [​IMG]

I was supposed to play college football, though. Not at any big name school, but near the end of my senior year a coach from Prairie View A&M was at practice watching us. Afterwards, a coach of mine asked me how I felt about playing there. I said playing college ball anywhere would be good. Well, one week after the season ended I broke my collar bone and tore ligaments and stuff in that shoulder (the doctor said to me, "It looks like you got hit by a truck!" ... nice). I wasn't the biggest strongest guy to begin with, so that injury set me back far enough to where college ball was no longer an option.

------------------
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

[This message has been edited by DREAMer (edited September 16, 2000).]

8. vj23k

well, 750 leg press is really good.a guy at out school did 650 and they thought he had a good shot pro football

9. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

10. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Ace,

Sure, strength helps. But, squatting nearly 500 lbs, and leg pressing well over 750 lbs didn't stop my knee from blowing up.

"Wear and tear" is a vague term. The cartilage in my other knee could be considered "wear and tear", but strength didn't prevent that either. The type of damage professional athletes develop on their joints is from playing their sport for 20 years (from grade school to the pros) and doing is just about everyday.

The average person, even the average athletic person most likely won't have to worry about many of the injuries you hear professional athletes complain about.

------------------
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

11. vj23k

Clutch said that over 200 NBA PLAYERS were members here, there are probably even more pros in other sports. Is Heypartner one?

12. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Right now Clutch's jokes are going right over the heads of a few members.....

------------------
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

13. davo

davo Contributing Member

DREAMer,

For you to consider yourself a "very athletic person" and not even know what you did to your knee is a travesty. If playing sports was such a fun part of your younger life, imagine much much its going to suck when you can't walk properly when you're older.

I know you say that you didn't have insurance but lets face it,as the old saying goes "without your health, you've got nothing"

You refer to injuring you "interior" ligament which indicates to me that you have no idea what you actually did. The most serious of knee injuries (see Joey Galloway) is a rupture the Anterior Cruciate ligament, followed (in no particular order) by Medial Collateral Ligament and Posterior Cruciate.

If treated properly, these can all be rehabbed, especially if just for recreational sport and general wellbeing. I implore you to go and get it looked at - you will regeret it otherwise.

I tore my MCL snowboarding about 2 years ago, and after lengthy rehab can now do almost anything. No surgery was required.

Also, interesting that you talked about possibly dislocating your ankle. I have actually dislocated my ankle playing basketball - I jumped backwards trying to imtercept a pass and landed on someone's foot. My ankle was stuck AT RIGHT ANGLES to my leg, and it was freaking excruciating. It took me over a year to recover from that. Apparently ankle dislo's are very rare (usually the ankle brakes first) and it sounds to me, unless your ankle was physically dislocated, you probably tore up the ligaments

------------------
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

14. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

I read alot about the cravings and fast food. And that is why I say eat whatever you want once a day...unless you are a pro bodybuilder.

If you crave whatever, eat it and just chill the rest of the day. Just remember to eat your veggies and fruits every day to fill up the in between time. Also, water takes away hunger so drink alot of it. Stay away from the sodas and stuff like that and exercise consistently. This works without a doubt.

Ask any long time regular here and they will tell you that I am a Taco Bell ADDICT. I love it, love it, LOVE IT. I eat it everyday. Chalupas, gorditas, nachos bellgrande, burritos, combos...whatever, I eat it and I eat alot. But, ONCE A DAY. Mostly at lunch time. In the morning, I have something like waffles with lots of fruit. During the day, I eat carrots and celery. At night, I eat more fruit or for dinner I have a salad with oil and vinegar. Thats it. And I drink lots of water.

Time your cravings for junk food and try and eat it at the same time everyday. Get whatever you want to satisfy the craving.

------------------

15. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

davo,

As I said, I couldn't go to a doctor, because I didn't/don't have insurance. This means I couldn't afford it. This means I know I hurt my knee, but I have no medical proof of what exactly I did to it.

Sounds like what my Dad says. But, would I trade those "athletic" days to be able to walk better when I'm 80? No.

This is true, but not having insurance sure limits you financially as to what you can do about an injury.

I know there are, what, four ligaments in the knee. One on either "side" of the knee, and two that criss-cross in the back (sorta). I was saying my "interior" ligament to refer to the ligament that is on the "inside" of the knee, or the left side of my right knee. There are different degrees of ligament injury: strain, partial-tear, and tear. I (without having the luxury of a MD) think I tore my MCL [The medial collateral ligament (MCL) prevents the knee from buckling inwards (or valgus injury).]"

Well, since I have not had a physician examine it, when I do get insurance, it cannot be considered a "preexisting" injury, and hence exempt from coverage.

If no surgery was required, then I question whether you "tore it" or "sprained it" or "partially tore it".

I know I tore (partially tore, most likely) ligaments in both my ankles. But, that one time I think I dislocated it too. I was warming up with my friends just about to start playing. We were in a friends driveway. I go running at the hoop to do one last layup before we start, and as I go to take off, I jump off my left leg instead of my right leg, which is the one I normally jump off of. Well, my foot hits an uneven spot in the cement and my ankle totally bends 90 degrees (at least). I could feel it bend and my momentum kept me going and I could feel it as I first: planted, then jumped off of my ankle instead of the bottom of my foot. I thought I did break it. But, again.... never went to a doc for that one either, so no medical proof of exactly what I did to it.

Funny enough (sorta) that ankle injury took a long time to recover from. And, even when I could play, it still bothered me. It kept bothering me until I sprained it again. Severely but not nearly as the last time. The funny thing is that I think it popped it back into place, becase after that one healed it never really bothered me again.

------------------
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

[This message has been edited by DREAMer (edited September 18, 2000).]

16. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, I am coming in late here...

First:

Jeff's "claims" are supported by study after study. I can quote from JAMA (multiple), Harvard, Nutritional Institute, Oxford, etc, etc., studies that show the negative results of high protein and high cholesterol diet. These excesses are cause by animal products only (animal products are the only source of cholesterol). Anyway, it will probably take 50 years for people to listen.

Second:

All of this knee talk is making mine hurt. As Crisco often likes to point out, I have horrible knees. The first trouble I had was when I injured my right playing basketball. Coming down with a rebound (and a 6'3", 225 lb guy on my back - at the time, I was probably just under 6' and 150 lb) I landed on concrete completely on my right knee. Somehow, my legs went out from under me, so it had to suffer the full impact.

Anyway, being young and stupid, I kept playing. That night it went out on me - could not use it at all.

After that, it was always week. Eventually, my left knee started bothering me as well. In addition to basketball, I was a track/cross country runner. It started to interfere.

Went to a lot of doctors, they are all stupid. Was finally allowed to get an MRI and found out that I have "excessive cartiledge wear" and mild arthritis in both knees.

They have no idea why they are like this at such a young age.
    The cure, "take anti-inflammatories and do leg exercises."
    Does it work? No.
    I have also been told that the backs of my kneecaps may be rough instead of smooth, or that I might have PFS (a kneecap tracking problem).

I am pretty much finished with doctors and am going to pursue other avenues, if I can.

So, I feel all of your pain(s). [​IMG]

DREAMer:

I know a guy who tore his knee up without knowing it. Then about 5 years later, doctors discovered it and had to operate. Just proves that the body adapts, but it does not always heal.

------------------
    Talking to a dead hare about art

17. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Thanks Almu [​IMG]. I've never had knee problems, but I've twisted my ankle alot, and I doubt it will ever be 100 %. One time, it was so bruised, there were sock marks from the swelling on my ankle.

Maybe I sprained it ? Is a sprain alot worse than a twist ? How do you know the difference ?

------------------
    "The road to hell is paved with Republicans." :)

18. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Gr8-1 don't thank me until you lose that weight! [​IMG]

Just remember to keep exercising. Just cuz I say eat whatever you want once a day doesn't mean I don't say exercise. They go hand in hand my friend! Good luck!

***Of course, I am no doctor. But I do play gynecologist with my girlfriend! [​IMG]

------------------

19. cuttino

cuttino Contributing Member

Hey - let me share my story:

I was 5'9" and 195lb. I tried MANY times to lose the weight through exercise & diet, but could never stay commited. After time, I realized that my lack of commitment was a sign that I just wasn't ready to lose weight (and that once I was ready, I would be able to commit).

My motivation finally came when my dad was diagnosed with type II diabetes - the same fate that I would be facing if things didn't change. Heredity would virtually guarantee that diabetes wouldn't pass me over - and that is one disease you do not want.

Once again, I began to work out. Often. I exercise 4-5 times per week - mixing 50% cardio (either aerobics or stationary bike) with weight lifting (not the power lifting like some of you, just enough to build muscle tone). I changed my diet. I don't watch carbs vs. protein - I don't see the point. America is fat because of high fat diets & overeating, and I wasn't an exception. I gave up going to fast food restaurants altogether - and 5 months later I don't miss that crap one bit. I cut back on meal sizes and started drinking tons of water. Now, my "habits" are completely different. It doesn't seem right if I don't go to work out in the evening & my taste for food is directed towards lighter / healthier meals.

After 5 months, I weigh 150lb (lost 45lbs!). I don't mean to sound like one of those diet commercials, but "if I can do it, so can you" - but you have to be serious. If you're not serious, don't waste your time.

By the way - this is a GREAT thread & I hope to hear from someone who takes this all to heart & makes a change for the better.

------------------

20. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I'll throw in my story as well.

Right now I am 6 foot, around 200 pounds. Haven't weighed myself in a while, haven't wanted to. It isn't a lean or muscular 200.

I had very bad eating habbits when I was a kid. Two plates at dinner. Tons of sweet snacks. A cup of ice cream every night. I wouldn't drink water, made me gag. Only coke for me. And I rarely exercised. At 16 I weighed around 220.

In 94 the Rocket's sparked my interest in bball. But I did not start to seriously play till the summer of 95. I continued to eat as bad as ever, but I played 3 to 7 hours of ball a day. I wasn't very good, but I put effort into every play. That summer I trimmed myself down to 160.

But my bad eating habbits caught up to me. A year ago I went to the hospital cuz of food poisoning from one of the many ****ty fast food places I go to.

Since then I started drinking water. I yoyo between healthy and unhealthy eating, as does my weight. I get plenty of exercise.

Recently I have been eating healthier than usual. Haven't touched a coke in almost a week. And I have been exercising more than normal.

I'm gonna destroy your pitiful game when we meet rimmy.

Grrr ....

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.