1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Help me lose weight !!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gr8-1, Sep 15, 2000.

1. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I went to get my hair colored, excuse me, I went with my girlfriend to watch her get her hair colored and the stylist asks me if I would like anything to drink. I say "sure, I'll take a coke."
    She says "You know we have diet coke right ?" I know she didn't mean anything, and it was funny. But I have put on 30 pounds in 5 years, alot of which I attribute to just gaining muscle as you grow older.

I have a decent amount of muscle, not alot, but I'm not rail thin either.

I've been hearing alot about these no carb diets and other fads. Do they work ? Is a balanced diet the key ?

Also, is it true that sugar discourages fat loss ?

------------------
    "The road to hell is paved with Republicans." :)

2. Lord Tree

Lord Tree Member

I tried the no carb diet for 2 weeks once and it SUCKED. You're always groggy (your brain only runs on carbs) and the weight that you lose so quickly is mostly water weight, which you gain right back once you go off the diet. The other problem with the diet, is you miss on many of the necessary vitamins. Basically, I'd suggest a more "traditional" method.

Lord Tree

------------------
    I am Jack's raging message.

3. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Only One Solution

Be Proud to be a

FATTYBOMBALADDA

------------------
    Discombobulation Imminent

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Its not that hard. Just lay of the burgers, pizzas, and steaks. And jogging is the best way to do it. Jog about 1.5 miles a day. Once u get used to the routine, its really not that tough. I used to weigh almost 162. I started jogging and laying off the fatty foods. Now I weing 138, but I am trying to gain about 7 pounds now.

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Stupid threads are not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Vote for the Rockets & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The no-carb diet Lord Tree dislikes is called the Atkins diet and, if you want to lose that weight fast, that is the way to go.
    As for Lord Tree's dislike of the diet...I really can't explain it other than he has to have his carbs. Personally speaking, I tried the diet and I lost a lot of weight in just one month. Now, I am a thin person... relatively speaking....and I have a lot of muscle from a past of off and on again working out. But, when you stop working out, that muscle deteriorates into...flab. So, I was looking to shed 10 to 20 lbs to be in my best shape.

Now, about the diet, you can eat protein and fat. For example, you could eat eggs and sausage for breakfast, hamburger without the bun(taco salad if you prefer) for lunch, and steak for dinner....you just can't have any sugar/carbs. Like you, I thought there is no way I can go without bread, soft drink, and sugar. But, after a few days, your body adjusts to no carbs and you don't crave them at all. The idea is to start off for 2 weeks with < 10 grams of carbs per day and slowly increase your carbs thereafter until you find your balance....or the point at which eating carbs causes you to gain weight.

What I would recommend is 3 to 4 weeks severely limiting your carbs and then switch to another diet of just limiting your calories to 1500-1800 calories a day of the 60-20-20 diet(60% carb, 20% protein, 20% fat). Drinking lots of water is a must, too.
    On the Atkin/protein diet, you actually check if your in a state called ketosis by putting a test strip in your urine stream. If it is purple, it means you are burning fat. This helps keep you motivated and on the diet to see you actually losing weight. These are called ketosis strips bought at any grocery store at the drug counter.

Also, on this diet, your blood pressure will go down, your triglyceride counts will go down, your bad cholesterol will go down, your blood sugar level will go down(lessening the threat of Type II diabetes). AND, your body feels great. Although, you can suffer from some bouts of being tired. I wouldn't recommend running 2 miles on this diet because you might pass out. Alcohol is off-limits.

Here is what I suggest. Buy the Atkins book. Read it(easy read). Try the diet for 2 weeks. You will literally be transformed and lose a lot of weight in that first 2 weeks. Some say this is just water weight. That is bull****. Drink your 8 glasses of water daily. The fat will peel off your body. But, if you lose that weight and jump off the diet back into your coke binge drinking, fast foods, etc.. expect to gain it all back. You can even break the diet once in a while and have a bad meal and get back on just like that.

Right now, I am just drinking lots of water, on the 60-20-20 diet, and limiting calories to 1800. I'm losing some weight but not alot like I would if I were on Atkins. Don't knock it till you try it and I'm hear to tell you it works and you feel healthy on it.

I don't know if I would recommend it for a long time, though. The best approach is a balanced diet, restriction of calories, stay away from processed foods/sugar drinks/alcohol, and exercise 20-30 minutes daily.

I am helping you lose weight. Above is everything you need to know. At least...I tried. It works cause I know....been there, done that. And it is not unbearable as the critics would make it seem.

Update: Oh yeah, don't forget those whole grain foods...like brown rice, bran cereal, and bran muffins. These are the healthiest foods around and do wonders for your health.

One more thing, it's recommended you see a doctor first. Some people have risks associated with no or low carb intakes. I doubt a doctor would recommend it but the high carb vs. low carb diet debate has been going on for years and no one camp can prove the other camp's diet is bad for you...all they ever do when they get together to debate the topic is squirm like a bunch of whiny children...it's pathetic.

Surf

------------------

[This message has been edited by Surfguy (edited September 15, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Surfguy (edited September 15, 2000).]

6. Lord Tree

Lord Tree Member

Don't get me wrong, I lost 10 pounds in less than two weeks, it's just that most of that was water weight (perhaps I would have lost more fat if I stayed on it longer) and I my thinking was less than 100% due to lack of carbs. The diet does have its benefits, but the downside wasn't worth it.

Lord Tree

------------------
    I am Jack's raging message.

7. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Don't eat crap. Exercise.

Repeat.

------------------
    Why don't you guys go down to the gym and pump each other

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The Atkins diet, while effective for a short time, has a lot of problems.

First off, the increased intake of protein is very difficult on the heart valve chambers and has a tendency to cause increased blood pressure, digestive tract disorders and breathing problems. It is also extremely hard on the kidneys.

It might work for a short-term solution to serious weight problems or obesity but it does not solve the overall problem which is a general lack of health, exercise and poor eating habits.

Most health experts will tell you that the only way to lose weight permanently is to eat a healthy, well-balanced diet that excludes foods high in saturated fats and includes foods rich in fiber. That means less meat and more veggies and grains generally for the rest of your life rather than a quick fix.

Diets are not the answer. A healthy lifestyle that is in balance is. Many of those who have been on the high protein diets have reported gaining all or most of their weight back as soon as they went back to their regular diet. Because you cannot maintain the high protein diet for the rest of your life (unless you want your life to be VERY short and riddled with health problems), it is not a real answer to long-term weight loss and overall health.

Eat smarter. Less saturated fat - remember that not all fats are bad for you - monosaturated fats like olive oil or naturally occourring fats like those in nuts are good for you. More fiber. Less sugar. Fewer refined foods that have chemicals in them - if the ingredients are more than half items you don't recognize (chemicals), put it back on the shelf. Oh, and drink TONS of water. I drink about a gallon every day.

Check out the new Andrew Weil book (Diet for Optimum Health). It is terrific.

Other than that, exercise regularly and you'll be in business. Good luck!

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Rockets Pimp: Protein necessity is a myth. Most of us ingest FAR too much protein. It does help build muscle and promote growth of muscles but that is for the purpose of building muscle.

Muscle building does not equate to overall health and can be achieved without the ingesting of large amounts of protein. Of course, if you want larger muscles and a more muscular build, that is a different story.

gr8-1 didn't ask how to be muscular. He asked how to lose weight.

The point I was making is that the consistent over-ingesting of protein for prolonged periods of time can be devastating to a variety of body systems including the digestive tract and excretory systems. The kidneys, in particular, take a pounding from protein.

One of the problems, just as an example, is that protein is a calcium inhibitor. Links recently have been drawn from excessive ingestion of protein to osteoparosis, which is caused by a loss of calcium, not a lack of it as many people once thought. So, you can't just take calcium supplements because the calcium is not allowed to stay in the body. Protein actually strips the body of its calcium.

An example of this in practice is the study of the western diet that is high in protein versus a diet from other cultures that is lower in protein because of the lack of availability of cows. In most of those regions, there is no such thing as osteoparosis. It doesn't exist because they don't have the high intake of animal-based protein items like milk, cheese and red meat.

That is why cheese and milk, while high in calcium, don't build your supply of calcium, but actually dimish it because those food items are also extremely high in proteins.

One other thing I should point out to be clear. The biggest problem is not protein per se but animal protein. You could ingest soy based protein powders (many of the powders are soy based anyway) and not experience the same problems because vegetable-based proteins are different in make-up from their animal counterparts.

Soy, however, is considered a grain or lentil and is left off of high protein diets like Atkins. But, it is a far healthier source of protein than animal proteins.

Remember that what I am suggesting has little to do with body building or building muscle mass but living a healthy, well-balanced life through your diet and exercise. I also think that part of that lifestyle is mental and emotional health as well but that is for another thread.

------------------
    SaveOurRockets.com

[This message has been edited by Jeff (edited September 15, 2000).]

10. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I can't do the Atkins diet, I don't want to quit drinking.

I think 2 chicken breasts a day will provide you with more than enough protein.

------------------
    "The road to hell is paved with Republicans." :)

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

gr8-1: One other thing. Sugar does not discourage fat loss but it doesn't incourage it either. Sugar, because of its complex chemical nature, creates a fast burst of energy followed by a loss. All sugars cause this but especially refined white sugar, brown sugar and refined white flour.

Second to that would be unrefined sugars like molasses, honey or cane sugars which are far better for you than refined sugars but still should be taken in moderation.

Notice that I mentioned white flour. It, while technically called a carbohydrate, behaves like a sugar because of the refining process. That is why carbohydrates are shunned in high protein diets even though natural brown rice, whole grains, potatoes, nuts, beans and lentils are also considered carbohydrates but are exceedingly good for you.

------------------
    SaveOurRockets.com

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

gr8-1: Drinking can be a real problem when you are trying to lose weight. Alcohol inhibits the loss of water in the body and can create a ton of water weight gain. The fermented sugars in the alcohol are also not good for the body's metabolism.

If you want to lose weight, you might have to give up drinking for a short time or switch what you drink from beer for example to wine or something that is less fermented.

------------------
    SaveOurRockets.com

13. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

2 Chicken breats is more than enough protein. A cup and a half of lentils is probably enough protein.

Jeff is right. Your body will work perfectly fine w/ 6% of its diet contributed to protein.

That's not to say giants such as my mother wouldn't benefit from a low carb/high protein diet. I just think alot of people have outlandish notions as to what their protein needs are.

We have grinding, omnivorous teeth... not a mouth full of canines.

------------------
    Why don't you guys go down to the gym and pump each other

14. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Good info for all Jeff, even those of us not trying to lose weight....thanks!

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

15. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Wanna lose weight?

Once a day, eat whatever you want. WHATEVER means just that. The other times, eat fruits and salads. Have one protein shake where you measure in about 50 grams of protein. Drink about 2 quarts of water. Exercise 4 times a week.

I weighed 195 pounds and 32 percent body fat on October 21, 1998. As of June 15, 2000, I weigh 178 and 11 percent body fat. I have a ton of energy to boot and have added about 17 pounds of muscle. Its aaaaaaallll good now. Its really not that hard.

You can start by just walking for 30 minutes 4 times a day. Then, increase it to a jog for 30 minutes and go from there. Just if you do that and build it up to a 1 hour jog(about 5 miles)per day, you will lose fat no matter what your diet is unless you are a real slob.

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

[This message has been edited by Almu (edited September 15, 2000).]

16. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Take this from a pro like me. [​IMG] I use to be heavy as well like 5 years ago. But all I did everyday was run 3 times a day. 2 hours each time, eat normal as you still do but dont eat fatty ****. Trust me , I did this every day for 3 months and I lost 65 pounds.

------------------
    "I talked about what degenerates they [Mets fans] were, and they proved me right. Just by saying something, I could make them mad enough to go home and slap their moms."

John Rocker

17. Surfguy

Any excess intake of sugars/carbs that cannot be used as energy are stored as fat cells...this should be obvious. When a soft drink says it has 0 fat but 30 grams of sugar per serving, don't think that won't end up as fat unless your burning all that as energy....which your probably not. Then again, a lot of that rests on your metabolism levels. Some people just cannot get fat no matter how much they eat because they have a fast metabolism. The slow metabolism people have the most trouble and that is where exercise is key to speeding it up.

I didn't say Atkins was for everybody and I didn't say it was without risks. The risks Jeff "claims" are associated with this diet...there are no firm studies on long-term effects of this diet. I did not experience any of those claimed effects on the diet and I know plenty of people who have been on this diet for a good while with none of those side effects. I think Mr. Atkin would beg to differ with your claims, Jeff, and would ask you to point to the studies of his diet that prove this...which there aren't any as every debate I've ever seen between Atkin versus the rest of the world never have furnished any either way. I'm not saying it's good and I'm not saying it's bad...but I know the studies of this diet are not there. Would I want to be on any diet long term? Hell no! Lifestyle changes are a necessity...you can't diet forever. gr8-1 wants to lose weight and there is no faster way than on Atkin...I know this to be true. Now, whether he can transition from that diet into a healthy lifestyle with exercise, balanced eating, and keep it off is another story entirely. It is true that no matter how he transitions out of this diet(if he were on it), he will gain back some water weight and some weight from re-introduction of carbs. But, this will not put him back at the heavy weight he was unless he flat out goes back to his old ways...which almost all do. But, do they have to? No...they do because their weak. He sounds like a total beer drinker so he's going to have a hard time losing his gut by the looks of it anyway unless he gets off his duff and exercises [​IMG].

I honestly don't care what he does. Walk, run, lift weights, have more sex, do more yardwork, eat more whole grains, eat lean meats, drink diet drinks, drink less alcohol, consume less calories, join the marines, quit sitting around posting to the BBS all day long, make yourself vomit after meals, etc. etc. etc.....THERE.

JUST DO SOMETHING...GET OFF YOUR DUFF!

[​IMG]

------------------

18. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Surf: Actually, there are at least 3 ongoing studies and a number of others already completed that are studying or have studied the link between increased protein intake and heart problems, kidney problems, osteoparosis and a number of other health ailments.

The one I remember distinctly is a study of British naval officers wives and women from central Africa. They were studying transit time of foods in each - in other words, how long it took for food to go in one end and out the other.

They found that the African women who had very little protein in their diets including meat and dairy had transit times that ranged from 18 to 36 hours. On the other hand, the British women had transit times that ran 72 to 120 hours.

As a result of the increased time in the digestive tract, these women were far more likely to contract all sorts of illnesses from digestive tract disorders and respiratory infections to kidney problems.

There are several studies underway right now on this as well. It is well-documented over years and years of research.

For every pro-high protein diet doctor out there, there are 3 or 4 who are dubious if not outright against them. Dr. Atkins has sold a ton of books with that diet, but doctors from Harvard, Yale, Beth Israel, Johns Hopkins and many other esteemed health institutions have condemned it and called it irresponsible.

I agree that anything that gets you out and makes you healthy is a good thing. Everyone should just have all the facts.

------------------
    SaveOurRockets.com

19. Bballplayinplaya

ME being the young one on the board(13) i thought you might like my opinion. Although i am 13, I am 6'1 197lb. I know save your "hes a monster" remarks. But 197 at that height is not too ideal for me. What i try to do is jog everyday. Lucky i have a track right behind my house (terry hersey park for you houstonians) that i try to jog everyday now. One important thing to do is to not eat too much cheese! I found it to be not too helpful in the lose weight gain muscle game.

------------------
    Bow down to GOD FRANCIS!

"If they offered me (a lifetime contract) tomorrow, I'd take it."

-- Steve Francis on if the Rockets offered him a lifetime deal. He has now been elevated to "God" status.

20. Surfguy

Thanks for the info, Jeff. I look forward to seeing that evidence come out in the next CNN Crossfire debate between Atkins versus the world. On another note, I have noticed that there are a lot of dieticians that condemn the USDA food pyramid and recommended daily allowances of each food group. They say that ever since the institution of such guidelines...the population is getting fatter than ever before.

The real blame lies on the fast food craze. How many people go to Wendy's or McDonald's or Taco Bell and come away with something healthy to eat. Hardly anyone. Maybe a few prissy women are eating side salads from these restaraunts but combine fast food with the average human and you have an obese human after a while. Too many Americans either don't have the time or make the time to prepare their own foods in a healthy manner. And, add to that fact that they just don't have or make the time to exercise and everyone here can see why heart disease is such a problem in this country. We have the worst diets in the world. Fast food should be outlawed. I seem to recall Taco Bell tried to go healthy on their menu but it was shunned...nobody ordered the light foods. So, they did away with it.

All you youngins out there should be physically fit and eating Mom & Pop cooked meals. Us older folk(I'm 30 mind you) have to depend on ourselves. It's not easy to work all day long and come home just to do more work. QUITE FRANKLY...IT SUCKS. But, it's like the commercial goes...I exercise to live....or I guess I don't live. Same saying should be applied to food...I eat to live...or I guess I eat to die. Ahh...let's go get drunk...what the hell!

------------------