1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Help] Macbook Pro Screen Flickering

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Medicine N Music, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Looking for some advice on what to do. I have an Early 2015 Macbook Pro. A few days ago, it started having screen flickering in different colors on start up, and after a few seconds, the screen goes to a blank black screen. I have tried updating the OS, resetting the SMC and PRAM/NVRAM. The screen does NOT flicker on safe mode, but if it's off safe mode, it goes right back to flickering and then a blank black screen after a few seconds. It is not associated with any one program. It flickers on start up even with the apple logo. Anyone have other ideas outside of either reinstalling the OS or taking it to the apple store? It's outside of applecare warranty.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

From your description, I assume you followed these steps, but just in case:

https://macreports.com/mac-how-to-troubleshoot-screen-flickering/

Medicine N Music likes this.
  3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

If the threads don't help, it might be worth trying it on an external monitor/TV to see if it at least allows the use of the system (and it doesn't follow the external monitor with flickering etc.)... Because if it does follow, aside from some random software issue it'll be the mobo (I think Apple calls this logic board, don't quote me on that because I've only fixed a handful of Macs vs the hundreds of pc's I've fixed). I do know they're not hard to work on..., but the issue is the damn parts (any proprietary part) hold their value a lot better than pc notebooks. And iirc you'll need pentalobe screwdrivers.

Medicine N Music likes this.
  5. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tried this. When I plugged it into the HDMI out to TV, the flickering stopped on both the macbook and the TV. As soon as I unplug the HDMI, it goes back to flickering (and now to a green screen). This is after I erased my HD and reinstalled the OS. Can this still be the logic board. If not, any ideas?

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Stupid question....if you leave the HDMI cable connected to the MAC, but not the TV, what happens (or is that what you already did)?

7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I might need to think a bit more on this, but when you unplug the HDMI (and the screen starts flickering or goes green etc.) can you plug back in the HDMI (without restarting the system) to make the screen return to normal? And if it does return to normal, are you just mirroring the built-in display or using it as an extended desktop?