1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Heat call out Celtics over Ray Allen

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr. 13 in 33, Oct 17, 2013.

1. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/mia...heat-call-former-boston-celtics-players-coach

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I never understood the vitriol that Allen got from his former teammates. They all got into that position in Boston under the same circumstances. Allen was traded from the Sonics and KG was traded from the Timberwolves all under the assumption that teaming up with Pierce would give them the best opportunity to win. None of these guys have a right to criticize anybody for anything.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

KG has always been like that. Fiercely loyal, if to a fault. He'll be your best friend or your worst enemy.

Funny about the Celtics of the last few seasons. Some of the game's biggest jerks: Pierce ("you can't call that on me, I've got a ring!"), KG, and Rondo. Doc got kinda big-headed too once he got away from coaching a losing team in Orlando.

But in his prime, jerk or not, I'd've loved to have KG on the Rockets.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Even now. Both KG and Pierce were traded to the Nets for the opportunity to stay contenders on a winning team.

Basically everyone still hates the Heat because they stole the best player on the planet and will have backlash to any player worth a damn that leaves his team to play with them.

Ah well, people stay butthurt.

1 person likes this.
  5. joepu

joepu Member

It's not the exact same situation. The issue wasn't that Ray was leaving the Celtics - the team. It was him leaving his team mates on that Celtic team. I'm not casting judgement on him one way or the other but I can see why a guy like KG would think it was a betrayal.

6. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

Not the same thing, Ray Allen ditched for less money, coming off a ECF with said Heat. The Celtics are in rebuilding and decided to move the players/players agreed as well.

7. joepu

joepu Member

Wasn't aware of this. That is a pretty clear FU. KG is right to be pissed.

8. Shaud

Shaud Member

The Celtics were shopping Ray Allen around during the season that year and signed Jason Terry. Not like they were fully committed to Ray.

1 person likes this.
  9. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I don't really see it as the same thing. Celtics wanted KG and Pierce traded, vs wanting to keep Allen. KG and Pierce wouldn't have been mad at Allen if he had been traded.

Also Rondo was still healthy when Allen left, vs being out for probably half the year this season. Allen got more grief than he deserved, but I don't really consider Garnett and Pierce as being hypocritical.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I thought Ray Allen left because he didn't get along with Rondo.

11. Dentyne

Dentyne Member

I thought the same thing too.

KG is an awesome player -- love his intensity

12. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Exactly, he was in trade rumors constantly throughout the season. Then he had rifts with Rondo on top of it.

LeBron is speaking the truth here. They killed Ray for leaving then waived their trade clause and bounced to a different situation for a better opportunity soon as they wanted to.

1 person likes this.
  13. VBG

VBG Member

I think going to the Heat was the unforgivable part. Go to any other team apart from the Heat or the Lakers.

1 person likes this.
  14. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

The Celtics didn't so much want to keep Allen as they wanted to keep him away from Miami.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>KG on LeBron's comments about his departure from Boston: &quot;Tell LeBron to worry about Miami. He has nothing to do with Celtic business.&quot;</p>&mdash; Ken Berger (@KBergCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/statuses/391036036828372992">October 18, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. boondoggle

boondoggle Member

If KG and Pierce wanted to stay in Boston, they'd still be there. They left because they saw a better chance at getting a ring in Brooklyn, which is the exact same reason Ray left. That bit about Rondo being healthy is nonsense. If you're going to have this whole "team for life" mentality, you don't get a pass when the cards are down. KG and Pierce are hypocritical chiildren.

1 person likes this.
  17. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

+100000000000. Fantastic.

18. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

as they grow older, dwade and lebron sound more and more like whiny little boys.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Everything about this is dumb.

1. Celtics were obviously in need of rebuilding when Allen left. They should have blown up the team then.

2. Allen is apparently the only one to realize, so I don't see why he should get the blame.

3. Celtics were saying he was slowing down anyway and weren't showing him a lot of love. Don't see how you can demand loyalty back.

4. You could say the departure of KG, Pierce, and Rivers was fallout from the loss of Allen -- it didn't make sense to go on without him. But, in truth, it didn't make sense to go on with him either. Boston wasn't contending anymore and needed a rebuild.

5. Ironic that it's James reproaching Celtics players for criticizing disloyalty. Loyalty is not a vice that ever afflicted him.

6. In the end, who cares. They're Eastern Conference and whichever makes it out will lose to the Rockets in the Finals.

2 people like this.
  20. amaru

amaru Member

Cry me a river Miami