1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Heart Talent Opportunity

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by popeye, Dec 17, 1999.

1. popeye

popeye Member

Dear Rudy: What this team needs is ..... your undivided attention to the following !!!

Heart

They want to win so bad they are playing way above were they should be right now. What do you think has kept them in so many games? Because maybe, collectively they are smarter than all the veterans on other teams? Nope. Their hearts have been the difference.

Talent

They have promise for the future. They have talents that are unimagined. They're bursting at the seams with talent. They are probably the most talented Rockets team ever. I am not attempting an argument here. I truly believe this. But talent alone has never won any sporting contest.

Opportunity

As much as everyone has said they should be doing this or that ... they have just now (with the San Antonio game) figured out that the time to make their mark in the NBA is NOW. Anyone want to bet on the Boston game being a "little different" than the last occasion, 24 hours after Charles' career-ending game?

The Real Problem

They lack direction. From the bench and from the floor.

The Solution

They need a couple of leaders. Leaders are not appointed. Leaders are born. Leaders must first assume that role before they can know they will be the leader of any team. I am positive that God gave the Rockets a few leaders to break out of the pack and overtake the followers.

Winners

These players are all winners. Most if not all had to acquire that particular level of existence. They have been winners where ever they played basketball. They have been the top of the heap. The best on campus, heralded in their hometowns.

Winners Can Become Leaders

So in their own fashion, they have all been leaders at one time or another. All of them. Hamilton was not just a quarterback, but a leader on his team. Carlos is the head of his family,not by some divine birthright, but by how he has solved problems for everyone, young and old, in the Rogers family. Francis got where he is today because he took charge of his life when it was going down the toilet. He followed no dictates except what his mother taught him and what talents he possessed.

The Biggest Unknown factor

If Rudy Tomjanovich is the leader we hope he is. If Rudy was the winner we have known him to be. If he truly loves this sport, truly loves his players, he better start believing in this team and not allow it to squander away a season. He better realize that the most harm that could be done to this team, is allow it to harbor feelings that either: (1) they are losers or, (2) that it is okay to lose. I hope it is not whether we end up with more chances at a lottery pick.

As a team they would never recover from something like a lost season. Rudy must rethink his position on NOT importing (by trading or exemptions) some support for these guys. A minor lift. Something. They have to win the competitive struggle this season. They don't have to win it all. Or, even come close to the finals or even the playoffs. But this team has got to believe it can compete.

Dear Rudy: That is what is important despite everything else. This team MUST BELIEVE that they still can win. Help Them!!!

[This message has been edited by popeye (edited December 17, 1999).]

2. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Damn, that was solid.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Barkley summarized this all on the day of his last game:

I hope this thread doesn't turn into a "who's the leader", "why Rudy sucks" argument.

The point I believe was made is that Rudy is the most important leader now, and we shall see if he sucks at leading a young team. He must teach Hakeem new tricks (which is difficult being that he's one of our worst passers), and he must find the players who have the right attitude, and teach them to handle themselves on the court...cause many times in the 4th quarter, the players must choose their own plays based on recognizing what the defense is giving them...the game is just moving too fast sometimes to look at coach for a play, particularly when we are looking for 3 on 3, 4 on 4 quick scores before the d fully sets.

As for my two cents about player's hearts, I am very disappointed in Cato right now and is continuing bad habit of leaping on every headfake. He has remarked about that himself in the paper, that coach showed him the tapes. It is up to him to stop it. I'd bench just like Rudy did until he stops it. Cause he's been benching himself anyhow with foul trouble.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited December 17, 1999).]

4. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Cato's just a little excited about embrassing the shooter. I had that problem a while back. After I realize I was wasting all my energy jumping up and down, I hardly get pump faked anymore. The bad thing is u don't get to laugh at the guy after u swat it away much after that.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

RocketsFan

at what age to you learn not to fall for the headfake. and did you have a coach and asst coach pointing it out to you everday. and did you just sign a $42m contract.

I agree with you...just trying to add stronger emphasis. He must stop doing that to get any better on defense. He's looking for the highlight reel block at every opportunity

That's not the "Opportunity" Popeye is talking about.

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Cato has no defensive technique. He faces his man sideways, and the whole time he's guarding the guy, he's crouched and ready to jump. His idea of defense is let him get by you, then go for the block. Hakeem needs to work with this guy on defensive positioning.

7. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Heypartner-I learned it during my teens.

Freak-Actually I think Cato is on purposely giving the guy the lane so when he goes up for the shot, Cato will just stuff it. I really do think he knows how to position well but how else is going to swat it if he doesn't show the lane? If he plays good d ("like flies on $hit" as how it is commonly referred to) the guy will just pass the ball out and he won't get to block him. I bet he gets a big thrill in rejecting a shot.

The problem is most NBA players understand the concept of a pump fake. That's one of reason they made it there.

I had the problem so I think this is a good description in what he doing. The difference is I learned from experience a steal attempt(letting them spin away from u) then blind side blocking them is much more effective. I think he justs like the block u straight up which is very embrassing.

[This message has been edited by rocketsfan34 (edited December 17, 1999).]

8. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

Cato should learn from Marcus Camby in all aspects as well. Especially in making less but contributing more, Camby makes 5 mils a year.

9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Real good Post!It all starts at the top with Rudy.He needs to give this team the best oppurtunity to win.So far,he is not doing that.He doesn't play the best players when the game is on the line sometimes,even when they are hot.Shandon has not been given the chance to strut his stuff,whether it is because he's riding pine or not having post ups or motion plays called.I have seen no evidence of pressure from the guards....Why don't we play to our strengths?When somebody gets hot like Stevie in the SA game,are there plays called for HIM?Yes,the post up game is needed at times,but you neutralize your best weapons by not having Stevie as the number one option from day one of the preseason and sticking with it.Progress was being made and it is no coincidence that once the ball was taken out of Steve's hands Cato went into the toilet(except for a short stretch).That lineup change would have suited me great,if Cato would have been in at center instead of THam(even though he is improving)From sitting Steve for long periods and losing leads,sitting Shandon whole quarters,and his wack substitution patterns in general,Rudy T needs to be held accountable......He will make a fantastic GM,but people need to take off the blinders and realize what's best for the Rockets.I love the guy as a player,a person,and for how he helped bring us 2 titles.He will always be one of the great Rockets.Times have changed and if he can't adapt to the strengths of his new personnell,then...................time to be GM. HH
    This team is bred for speed....why are they being run like closers?Right now,we are not Grade 1 or even 2,but we sure as heck should
    be winning most of our Allowance races.
    I say these things because I care about the future of the Houston Rockets,not just to bash Rudy.
    [This message has been edited by Hardwood Hammer (edited December 17, 1999).]

10. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Ok I want to know is rudy an idiot or does he want us to lose all the games so we can get a good pick?

Because the rockets play great from the first to the third. You saw them doing that against the defending champs at their house. But the 4th quarter rudy just ****s it up. He needs to tell the guys to go out and play like you do throughout the game. And what i have noticed is that francis plays like 6 minutes of the 4th quarter and he never gets the chance to shoot in the 4th. Rudy is doing something or he is just an idiot that cant coach.

11. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

amen, popeye

[This message has been edited by CBrownFanClub (edited December 17, 1999).]

12. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I don't know if any of you guys saw the pregame for the SA game, but they had a segment where they showed parts of interviews with several of the young guys discussing what their roles are and would be with the team. I was impressed with some of them (Carlos Rogers and Hambone in particular), but I was kind of disappointed in the attitudes of Thomas and Cato. Thomas seemed to have the attitude where he should already be the star of the show, but the coaches just wouldn't give him the chance (I'm reading into it a little) - kind of whiney. He said that the coaches hadn't really told him straight up what his role would be, but that he needed to work on his focus during the entire game. Because he didn't make a statement like he was committed to working on focusing during the entire game, I got the feeling that he felt that he didn't really think he needed to work on it (I disagree). When Cato was asked about what he needed to do, he basically said he just needed to continue doing what they paid him to do. Where Rogers and Hambone really recognized that the team needed them to rebound and plug up the middle, Cato felt like he was already doing a fine job (2 boards a game). Those were just my observations. What were y'all's opinions?

By the way, I have full confidence in Rudy's abilities as a coach and leader of this team, regardless if we keep losing these games. A coach can't give a team experience and that's what this team needs. Our only legitimate, consistent scorer on this team is Francis. I would think it would be pretty tought to win a lot of games with that much riding on a rookie. I think he can be the man for as long as he stays here, but we just need the right role players to fit around him and the team will grow with him.

13. popeye

popeye Member

oakadog

I do not understand you.

I have just spent twenty minutes answering your juvenile retorts on another thread about how you feel the management is doing everything in their power to help this team.

Now you say:

" ... we just need the right role players to fit around (Francis) and the team will grow with him."

Have you changed your mind? Have you seen the light? Do you still think Rudy is doing all that he can to make this team feel like the management is behind them as they try to win every game?

Despite management's inactivity and poor support for this team, these young guys truly are winners. They just need the management to believe that.