1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HDTV QUESTION (720p vs. 1080p)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Clutch City1993, May 15, 2011.

1. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Looking for a new HD tv. Upgrading from a tube. For a bedroom, with the sitting area at a seven foot distance.

Use my xbox 360 often and may buy a ps3 in the future (don't know how blue ray plays in 720p)

Nothing bigger than a 42'.May even do a 32". At what size should I be thinking 1080p? Will 720p be cool on a smaller screen?

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you don't need a 1080p if you getting a small tv, especially for your bedroom.

4. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

Go to your local Sears and check out their selection. At the one I go to they have floor model tv's that get clearanced down cheap. I got a Sharp 40' 1080 LCD for $398 (what i found out later was they actually had one in the back still in the box). Im sure other stores do the same but I go there alot.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Generally, you wont see a difference in TVs smaller than 50in. Also, aside from blurays, pretty much nothing utilizes 1080p. I can't think of more than 1 TV channel, and its only available on Dish. Even most 1080p video games produce sub-1080p PQ.

720p TVs are significantly cheaper.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Forget about 1080P vs 720P, you are crazy if you get a 32" over a 42".

Massive difference there, go 42" ALL THE WAY.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

37'' is pretty good size too for a bedroom tv

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Shocked that you would say this, tinman. It's all about viewing distance and placement.

How much will you use this TV? Some people live in their bedrooms. It's about usage, IMO. If you're in that area more, you should splurge. Life is too short to be cheap with something you do a lot.

Of course, if you're going from a tube tv, you probably won't need a huge investment to be awed by the difference.

I'm generally 10 feet from the bedroom TV and I have a 50-inch. It's in a large master bedroom so it doesn't overwhelm (IMO) and is about perfect.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

you're right, there's alot of factors involved. I'm just saying if he was debating between 32-42, that 37 is not a bad size. you're also right that you don't want a tv to dominate your bedroom.

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I have a 42" and its perfect for me...I splurged b/c originally I had a 20" lcd when I had a smaller bedroom...now it bigger and its the perfect size...and like others have said, the 1080p is mostly under utilized, typically just for bluray movies...

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

WTH? Are you going to be sitting at the end of your bed all the time? Think about sitting at the back of your bed, with the headrest just behind you... is that headrest and your head separated MORE than 7 feet from the screen you're intending to purchase? I think so. :eek:
    That's what the TV screens said. :grin:

Any HDTV thread will have its fair share of TWSS's. :(

12. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

1440P?? :eek:

13. liljojo

liljojo Member

Otherwise known as "real-life"

jk, I dunno.

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Supposedly they have tested Ultra HD TVs with a resolution of 2000+ and it caused test subjects to vomit because of the high degree of verisimilitude. When they reached out to touch it their brains could not comprehend that it wasn't "real".

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Do you have any link referencing this? This sounds bizarre. No matter the resolution, how can your brain not comprehend that it's 2D and not 3D? Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Ultra HD is over 7k x 4k resolution, btw.

16. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

[​IMG]

But I give you props for the proper use of the world "verisimilitude".