1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HDTV gurus]Should I buy this TV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by PointForward, Jul 17, 2012.

1. PointForward

PointForward Member

Hello clutchfans, I am in the market for a big HDTV for the living room. I am looking at anything in the 46" to 55" range. I found this on techbargains and I was wondering if this is a good deal for this Sharp TV (46" LCD, 1080p, 60 Hz):

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&sku=A5698466

My understanding is that this model from Sharp is a dell home exclusive, so I wasn't able to find many reviews about this particular model. What is the general consensus on Sharp as a TV maker?

I researched the differences between plasma, LCD, and LED LCD and I have determined that LCD is my best bet because it will be placed close to a window (eliminates plasma because of the glare issues) and I don't want to break the bank (LEDs are more expensive).

If it's not a good deal, what do you guys recommend?

2. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member

I'm not sure if this is a good deal or not, but 60hz is older. The newer hdtvs have 120hz, 240hz etc

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379206,00.asp

3. PointForward

PointForward Member

I've read this article earlier in my research, and it basically says that refresh rates above 60 hz are more or less a gimmick, at least for my viewing purposes, so I have no problem with the refresh rate.

4. Raven

Raven Member

Only four months away from Black Friday, and Amazon has had some sweet BF deals , and sets similar to that one sale for 500 at BB right now, so I don't think you need to make a quick decision unless you absolutely want that particular model.

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

True, you don't really need these higher hz rates.

I don't really know much about that TV but the reviews are great, you should be safe.

6. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I wouldn't buy a Sharp. My family bought one for sale on Black Friday and the quality doesn't measure up to our Samsung. The left speaker doesn't work half the time you turn it on and you have switch it on and off until it does. The remote is very crappy and a pain to use..very cheap looking and feeling. The Samsung one is much more comfortable to use and has a more practical layout.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Glare must be judged on a case-by-case basis - it's been that way since 2007. Plasma's don't always have glare issues anymore, it depends on the model, and now many LCDs have glare issues. Burn-in is another thing that hasn't been a problem since 2006.

8. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

I have a 42" Sharp 1080p LCD that I got about 3 years ago and I have never had any kind of problems with it. The picture is crisp, and it looks great when hooked up to my bluray player. I like the fact that it has so many easily accessible HDMI ports, but that is pretty standard on TVs nowadays. Overall I am very happy with my buy and would recommend Sharp to others. As for the speaker issue one of the posters above mentioned - who cares? Hook it up to surround sound like it's intended as part of your home theatre system.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's a great deal for around $500. Sharp was actually one of the first LCD leaders in the market.
    It's a low end model, but never heard of any complaints about it.

60hz is fine. the 120hz is to fix blurring.

10. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I've got a Sharp 70 inch LED. The thing is awesome.

11. droxford

droxford Member

I strongly disagree with this.

On a TV that has 60hz, you will see a HUGE difference when the entire screen is panning. For example, when there's footage shot from a helicopter flying over a mountain or something like that, the entire screen will be jumpy and glitchy as the image pans. With 120hz and 240hz, you won't have this problem.

Do not get a TV that has less than 120hz.

12. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Buy it and then trade it for a 6'9 PointFoward.

13. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

LCD TVs < LED TVs

14. tinman

Supporting Member

you're talking about judder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDTV_blur#100.C2.A0Hz_.2B

Some LCD TVs supplement the standard 50/60 Hz signal by interpolating an extra frame between every pair of frames in the signal so the display runs at 100 Hz or 120 Hz depending on which country you live in. The effect of this technology is most noticeable when watching material that was originally shot at low frame rates, like movies, in which case the typical film judder can be reduced, at the cost of introducing small visual artifacts. Film that is viewed with this kind of processing can have a smoother look, appearing more like it was shot on video, in contrast to the typical look of film.[11]

Motion interpolation technology generally may be added to TVs in PAL/SECAM countries if the TV refreshes at 100 Hz and in NTSC countries if the TV refreshes at 120 Hz.[12] It's notable that this solution is adequate for movies (which must have blur to begin with to solve double imaging problems with higher shutter speeds on film) but due to gamers' sensitivity to lag even in the 200ms range, it is often better to turn off all video enhancement effects for video games.[13]

15. LC Rox Fan

LC Rox Fan Member

[​IMG]

I hear these are pretty good

16. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Gogi can vouch

17. Ras137

Ras137 Contributing Member

Don't want a plasma because of glare?? Id move the room around just to get a plasma.

Proud owner of a Pioneer Kuro. Now envy me. ;)

I have to thank my wife for convincing me to get the Kuro (I was going to get a Panasonic and save 1000) My wife who is not really into av stuff like I am said at best buy in a sultry like voice "oh wow those are some nice blacks" After I stopped laughing, I was sure that the Kuro was the way to go. 4 years later and no TVs have yet to match the kuro's black level (save for the $2000 11 inch Sony OLED).

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

If you're looking for LCD 60hz..... Staples (if they still have it in stock at your local store) has 42 inch LCD LG's for around $350.....32's @ 230....and 37's around 320 or so. (clearance)

19. tinman

Supporting Member

I have a Panasonic plasma. Love it!

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member