1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HCC or Wharton County Junior College?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by keeyanballa08, Apr 14, 2009.

Tags:
  1. keeyanballa08

keeyanballa08 Member

Hey, so I am a Freshman at UH right now and am trying to knock out some courses during the summer. I don't know whether I should choose HCC or Wharton. Have any of yall went to either and if so how much does it cost for the summer sessions (most likely the 5 week sessions)?
    By the way, I am looking at taking both History courses and possibly Microeconomics. Also, it is the HCC-Stafford and Wharton-Sugar Land (don't know if they have more than one location) location so if you have taken any of the previously mentioned classes at either of these locations, what teachers do you prefer? Thanks!

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

If it's for core classes you don't care about then it really doesn't matter. Go where it's cheaper (where you're in district). Taking classes at community colleges during mini and summer sessions is great because the credits transfer but the grades don't (as long as you make a C). So take the classes you have no real interest in or the ones you expect to do poorly in. Take the classes you care about and the ones in your major at UH.

As for teachers, go to pickaprof.com. It'll show you teachers for each subject and what grades the students in their classes made. Students can leave comments and tell you if the class was easy or hard or if the teacher was good or bad and how many tests/essays there were, etc. It works for UH too.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Pick the one with online classes. Or pick any college with online Blinn, Western Texas, whatever... its easy. Do it.

4. keeyanballa08

keeyanballa08 Member

Yeah its for core classes and that is why I am asking. History has too much reading and essays I have heard at UH which is why I don't want to take them there, and the whole make a C is very appealing because that is a joke. I usually go to ratemyprofessor.com for the teachers, because its free :)

5. Cannonball

Then just find out if you're in district for one or the other and go there. They should both have tuition schedules on their websites so you can see which one is cheaper.

BTW, what school district are you in? In District for WCJC is Wharton County and Needville ISD. For HCC, it's HISD, Stafford ISD, and Missouri City Schools.

If in neither district, then it's a tossup because both cost about the same.

#5 Cannonball, Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  6. Fatty FatBastard

If those were my choices, I'd consider employment ASAP.

You sucked at school. I get it. Why bother getting a crappy degree from a school nobody will care about.

Look at other options.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

wow :eek:

8. Cannonball

Did you read his post? He's just knocking out a few classes during the summer. He's not getting a degree from HCC or WCJC.

9. TheBigAristotle

It depends on where you go. Some HCC's are ****ing awful unless they're in nice areas of town.

For a class or two though, yeah man knock it out wherever you feel comfortable at. Oh, I just read your question as in actually read it. You say Wharton College in Sugarland? For a minute that sounded like a prison but Sugar Land is practically River Oaks so I don't see that being a problem. I don't know about the price over there though.

I've no idea about HCC Stafford, the tuition should be about the same though which is probably $300-$400 per 4 hour class. Maybe a little less. Ironically it's cheaper at the nicer set of community colleges with "Lone Star" but that's out of your area.

10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Might be a good idea to actually read the OP's post

11. l3igballer23

l3igballer23 Contributing Member

If my reading comprehension was this bad, I might have considered HCC for my degree.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Tech, HCC, whats the diff? They both probably have nearly lost accreditation at some point. :p

13. wtfamonkey

wtfamonkey Member

:rolleyes:

14. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

and this is why you always read the post.

15. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Says the guy that probably went to Sam Houston State.

16. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

[​IMG]

17. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

If you need to take Calculus 1 or 2 take it online at HCC with Mammoud Bashrat...all tests are adminstered online including the final so you can take it in the comfort of your home and use your book. He definetley hooks it up.

18. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

Relax

19. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

What part of Houston do you live in? I lived in Alief and I did what you did only to find out that I had to pay double the tuition, like an out of state student at a state university. I think it might be based on school districts.

20. D-Lite

D-Lite Contributing Member

I heard Midland College [online courses] for History and Government are really easy. I'm going to take those classes this summer online. I am not sure if UH accepts credit from there.