1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Convictedstupid, Mar 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

To be fair the DA screwed the pooch by only going for capital murder (Murder 1). They could have tossed on a whole other slew of charges like Murder 2, manslaughter, tampering with evidence, etc.

2. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Exactly. Those that are complaining about the Galveston jury have to realize the burden of proof is on the prosecution to prove premeditated murder beyond a reasonable doubt. Even the Galveston detective admitted on the stand that he could not prove that it wasn't self defense.

#82 RocketFan007, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

So we have to disregard the fact that he chopped up the body after Morris Black died? Damn thats crazy.

4. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

Unfortunately yes, that was irrelevant to what he was charged for, which was MURDER IN THE FIRST DEGREE

5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Was it relevant that he went back to get the head so that he could hide the fatal wound? I'm not sure if Durst admitted that in court...he did so in his interview.

6. Pete the Cheat

maybe I just watched the exorcist too many times as a kid...but the way the inflection in his voice changed after the burping gave me goose bumps...

I am not going to feign expertise on schizophrenia or dissociative identity disorder...but I went back an replayed this part just to count how many personalities were in on this conversation. I had 3...

7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

That's kind of creepy, kind of want to watch that end again to hear if I here, like a real life

[​IMG]

If that is the case of course.....

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Just finished. Stories about people born rich that are completely unaware of what normal is fascinate me for some reason, like John du Pont. Just stopping in to say, damn, that Dick DeGuerin is sweet.

9. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

It really is amazing how clueless those from old money or the ultra wealthy are.

I recently had a conversation with my CEO, and he was astonished that people commuted in from the suburbs like The Woodlands and Pearland to our office in Montrose everyday. He just couldn't fathom how people couldn't afford to live here. We don't all have a half a billion dollars sir.

10. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Dude! His whole family is crazy. His father knew his wife was suicidal so he woke him up to say good-bye to her one last time before she jumped to her death.

Makes you wonder about the Trumps.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

watching this on Netflix, it's easily as good as The Jinx, and even more infuriating

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qxgbdYaR_KQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. Buck Turgidson

[BUMP]

Oh boy.

Then, the episode ended with Mr. Durst muttering to himself, perhaps confessing, as he marched off to the bathroom, still wearing his microphone from the interview.

“What the hell did I do?”

“Killed them all, of course.”

Viewers were left stunned. The documentary went on to win huge ratings, a Peabody and two Emmys.

But it turns out Mr. Durst’s remarks were significantly edited; rather than being consecutive, the two sentences had been plucked from among the 20 in his rambling remarks, and presented out of order.

Mr. Durst’s lawyers are now preparing to cite those edits — they’ll call them manipulations — in an effort to cripple his prosecution as they get ready for a trial set to begin in a few months in California. They are planning to call the documentary filmmakers as witnesses and to suggest that they cooperated so closely with the police that they became, in effect, “agents for law enforcement.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/24/arts/television/robert-durst-the-jinx.html

#92 Buck Turgidson, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    tmoney1101 likes this.
  13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Wait....

So literally one of the coolest filmmaking moments of all time was a sham?

I am upset. This is upsetting.

gatsby, superfob, tmoney1101 and 2 others like this.
  14. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

Says the lawyers

tmoney1101 likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Says the transcript of the raw audio:

[​IMG]

The filmmakers defend their edits as being entirely representative of what Mr. Durst said. But other documentarians, like Mark J. Harris, an Academy Award-winning filmmaker and professor at the University of Southern California, who once taught Mr. Smerling, have questioned it.

“The editing is problematic,” Mr. Harris said. “They put those lines together in a way that’s very damning. But it is definitely more ambiguous in the transcript.”

tmoney1101 and King1 like this.
  16. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

yea that's some pretty awful editing. they even play the first 5 minutes of meaningless babble, so how can you justify editing just that part?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  17. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

I'm supposed to believe the internet, now?

so disappointed.....

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I actually think the unedited version sounds worse than what they presented....

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

You don't edit quotes in a documentary. I am disappoint.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member