1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Hayes misses layups

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sccdct34, Dec 9, 2006.

1. sccdct34

sccdct34 Member

I haven't been able to look up stats for this, but it sure seems like Chuck Hayes misses a lot of layups. I like Chuck, he's a great rebounder and defender, but the missed layups are getting old fast. It seems like he misses 2-3 layups a game which usually includes one where McGrady makes a great pass.

The radio and TV guys have started to mention it as well. I noticed it last season, but it looks as if I'm not the only one now.

Someone see if they can find a stat on this.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

3. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

If someone kept a stat for blown layups, the Minny game would've been a league history record shattering number.

Considering his inability to shoot anything, I am amazed at his ability to shoot 52% by simply getting open and cutting, constantly burning the double-team on Yao.

I'd rather have Chuck hitting 52% of his shots than Juwan's usual 45% or current 35%. Two points is two points, and as long as you burn the double team consistently, I don't care how you do it. Who says we need Juwan's midrange J?

4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Well think about it this way...

He's shooting 52.8% on the season, but when's the last time you saw him take a jumpshot? Yeah, so my point is that he's basically shooting 52.8% on layups, meaning he's missing almost half of them. That is indeed not good. I love what Chuck brings to the game for us, but for the shots he takes he should be near 60%.

5. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Well Juwan's midrang shot spreads the floor better for Yao. He stays out of the middle & make the defender honor his shot rather than double up Yao. Well at least when he's knocking them down...

If Chuck Hayes gets a midrang game this offseason he will be a NBA player for a LONG time!

#5 shawn786, Dec 9, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  6. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

ok, because the discussion has shifted towards juwan, and because i'm a n00b who can't start topics yet...

can someone please inform me, in which year ('03, '04, '05) was the last time someone has seen juwan make one of his post-up moves, especially that hook shot?

i cringe every time i see the ball in his hands and his back to the basket.
    that hook shot is a guaranteed brick.

juwan can make a living out of that clothes-line jumper, and i'm excited to see him take that shot 'cause it's usually money. but please, for the love of all that is holy in this world, stick a fork in your post-up game, juwan.

(i'm not in the hate juwan camp. he's a gym rat and i still find him useful)

7. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

05....only cuz he shot the ball 20 times a game

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I've noticed that as well. He usually misses them or boblles a pas right under the basket when it comes from Tmac or Vspan. He's still playing pretty good this year so I dont mind it.

9. Highwire

Highwire Member

The guy is only 6-6, it's hard to be perfect from the low post because most of the guys there are at least 2 inches taller.

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Hayes is a pretty good finisher for the most part. He gets a lot of bullet passes on cuts so it's not as easy as you think. The guy doesn't almost everything you need except shooting, he gets a pass in my book.

11. haven

haven Member

No such thing as a pass for a lack of O, unless a guy is like Rodman or Wallace (before this year). Poor finishing encourages double teams. For a team that's entire offense is premised on superstar play, that's very bad for us.

Hayes is currently our best option at PF this year, but his inability to hit easy layups at times is a problem (as well as his inability to hit a 10 foot jumper).

12. username1

username1 Member

It was that electric shock that gave him all his hustle powers, maybe he just needs a "recharge"??? :eek:

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Hayes is NOT a good finisher! His vertical is about 2 inches, which is why he almost never dunks the ball. He can't do a thing more than 4 feet from the basket. Still, when you add up what he does defending, rebounding and cutting to the basket for the layups he misses 1/2 the time, Chuck helps us a lot. What bothers me much more than his layups are the dumb Dumb DUMB DUMB fouls. We are winning now so it's easy to overlook but he's got to figure things out. Thibadeaux should make a tape of every single foul Chuck has made so far this season and point out that 85% of them are pointless and foolish. He should be fined $1,500 for every foul he commits more than 15 feet from the basket or when the player he fouls has no intention of shooting. It took Yao a while to figure it out but I'm not willing to wait that long on Chuck because we need him in the lineup. As long as Juwan is his substitute, Chuck has to play smarter.

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Truck is one of THE biggest reasons we are as good as we are this year. He gets a pass.

15. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

It's funny that I've never seen the man take a simple jumpshot EVER. Teams will slack off him even more and Yao will be swarmed more and more as the year goes on.

16. choujie

choujie Member

According to 82games.com, Hayes is very good at finishing layups,http://www.82games.com/0607/06HOU10A.HTM . 63%, Better than Yao and Tmac, due to the fact most times he's not covered while making those shots. Only Snyder does a better job than him. Everybody seems to only remember him miss open lay-ups sometimes, but forget his constant moving and cutting get him into good position and he finishes 63% layups overall.
    The problem for him is his tip-ins, only 11%, that drops his overall percentage. Then again, with his size, getting any tip-ins is a result of hardworking.

The one really has problem with finishing around basket is Rafer Alston, making 39% layups only.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

if yao gets doubled by hayes's man he will hit the layup because its usually wide open. so I wouldn't worry about that. he does miss layups while covered no doubt, but he knows his limitations and doesn't force anything. He only shoots when right at the rim which he should even though he may miss. its no big deal, as A_3PO stated, his biggest issue is foul trouble.

18. Flamescreen

Flamescreen Member

Someone should ask him to dunk a bit more then! :p
    Not like he's a huge scoring machine anyway(as was said, Yao being present, it's a benefit for him). Besides, there are other fields he's helping. One can wait and hope he'll improve eventually, with his confidence building up game by game. Maybe hire him a personal trainer/psychology manager to help.

19. Flamescreen

Flamescreen Member

so I see that his vertical is not big enough, so a remaining solution is a shooting trainer and maybe the psych manager. Should improve things a bit, but if the team worked all issues it would never ever lose. Teams do lose for details they can't fix. You have to work with what you have and hope to exploit the other teams mistakes.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

choujie nailed it with the stats. so you complainers should be b****ing about rafer and not hayes. hayes has been an excellent finisher but poor on tip ins...tips we wouldn't even have a chance at if he wasn't on the court.

it's funny...we win by 30 and allow the least number of points in team history and the first thread started after the game is a negative one.