1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Having a great PG is OVERRATED...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by kidrock8, Feb 22, 2001.

1. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

The last team who won the NBA title with a great PG was Det 11 years ago... Chi has Paxson, then Harper... Hou had Kenny Smith... SA had Avery Johnson... LA had Ron Harper...

The myth that you need a great PG is hogwash...

------------------
    Check out my homepage! Loads of sports pics!

http://www.public.asu.edu/~sykim/

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The myth that you need a great player at any specific position is hogwash; not just at PG. Look at the teams that have won it. They've had a great player at at least one position or several very good players. These were then complimented by great role players that didn't b**** and whine and always came to play.

Who was the great center on the Bulls' teams or the Pistons teams?

Who was the great SG on the Rockets first championship team?

Who was the great PF on the Lakers' team last year?

Who was the great SF on the Spurs team?

Teamwork, d00d!!! [​IMG]

------------------
    "Ive seen more class at a Pig Humpin Contest ." -- moestavern19 makes headlines again, and in the process leaves little doubt as to what Saturday nights in his hometown of Lompoc, California are like.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Who says you have to have a great point guard? What myth are you referring to? What you need is a great player surrounded by good teammates.

------------------

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

"Winning the championship takes 2 great players and three very, very, good players." - Red Auerbach (can't find the book right now, but I'm pretty sure it was in one of Red's books).

------------------
    GATER

5. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

AN Aussie Pal, yes that's right a ball player from Down Under, give it up for BIG LUC WOOO HOOO

------------------
    CUT Tino
    These Heaves are just getting Ridiculous!

6. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Bill Laimbeer was the center on the Pistons teams and he was very good.

And not just at pissing everyone else off either. Great rebounder, defender and shooter.

------------------

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Laimbeer was a good center, definitely not great. My point was that you don't need greatness at any one position necessarily to win a championship.

------------------
    "Ive seen more class at a Pig Humpin Contest ." -- moestavern19 makes headlines again, and in the process leaves little doubt as to what Saturday nights in his hometown of Lompoc, California are like.

8. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

you mean you don't need greatness at every poistion

------------------
    CUT Tino
    These Heaves are just getting Ridiculous!

9. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Yes, but in the near future the Houston Rockets will win the title with a great Point Guard at the reins.

Like DoD said, you dont need a great player anywhere.

But it is still important to have a solid Point Guard.

That was our major flaw from 96-99.

We went from an aging Kenny Smith to A CBA project in Matt Maloney to a 41st draft pick that was drafted as a shooting guard but was forced into playing the point for a season.

------------------
    Never Underestimate the Heart of a Champion

10. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Magic Johnson ring a bell? I dont care how a good a player is, whether he be a point guard or any other position, they can't single handedly win a championship. Not even 2 great players can win it by themselves. The rest of the players on their team have to be quality players who understand their role. I don't know what point guard myth you're talking about.Also, the point guards you mentioned were in offensive systems where the point was pretty nominal and interchangable. He was not vital to the teams success.

------------------

11. Steve_Francis_rules

Sean Elliot isn't great, but he is definitely better than average.

------------------

12. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I'm sick and tired of you guys not giving credit where credit is due! The Bulls DID have a great center, Bill Cartwright baby! Fresh off the Pondarosa and successful stint on Bonanza, that guy had Patrick Ewing's number! He also spawned other "great" tree. . .errr. . .centers for the bulls like Bill Wennington and Will Perdue. Who says the Bulls didn't have a great center! [​IMG]

------------------
    Dream a deadly Dream. . .

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I agree. That's why my original quote was :

------------------

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Lambeer was a pretty damn good center. Only Shaq would be better if he played today like he did in the mid to late 80's.

I hated him...still do. But he had the best outside shot of any big man I have ever seen. No one and I mean no one came into the paint when he was on defense with out getting pounded. Small Guard, Power Forward, Center...did not matter, if you came in the paint you were not leaving with out some bruises.

Bill Lambeer was the 80's version of Karl Malone. I hate both of them. Bill was better at hitting the clutch shot than Malone and had a lot more range on his jumper. He could burry a last second 3 from well behind the arc with the precission of a surgeon.

The mid to late 80's version of Bill Lambeer would easily be the best center in todays league behind Shaq.

------------------

15. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I think it is safe to say that Sean Elliot is better than just solid.

In that playoff run he was putting 16 points a game every night.

He is a career 14.5 scorer in the playoffs as well as regular season.

I think that the Spur's weakest spot was the point guard spot that season.

Johnson is good and can hit the mid range jumper but if you put a a couple good big men in the lane he wouldn't score a basket.

------------------
    Never Underestimate the Heart of a Champion

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Sean Eilliot ain't a great SF.

------------------

17. Steve_Francis_rules

I agree with you crash, laimbeer would be the second best center right now, but only because mourning isn't playing.

------------------

18. crash5179

I agree with that. Morning was a better defender and shot blocker, more athletic and was better in the paint.

------------------

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Ok, obviously the word "great" has lost some of its meaning somehow. Here's how I define great :

Russell
    Chamberlain
    Jabbar
    Olajuwon
    Bird
    Magic
    Jordan
    O. Robertson

Laimbeer was a very good center. I never said he wasn't. There have been other very good centers. Sampson, Sikma, Robinson, Mourning, etc. They are not great centers.

We were debating great players, not "very good" ones. The point was that you don't need a great player at any specific position to win. You can have an average player at any of the positions and still win.

Rephrased : No one position defines a champion.

Some teams have won with a great center, other have won with great guards, etc. Some have won with bruising defense, some with up-tempo offenses, some with slow-down offenses (relatively speaking), etc.

...there, now try to be confused! [​IMG]

------------------

20. crash5179

could you please rephrase that, I'm not quite sure I understand.

------------------

[This message has been edited by crash5179 (edited February 24, 2001).]