1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever thought why JVG came out of retirement?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Feb 24, 2007.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

because we were fortunate enough to jump 5 slots on the board while my Cuttino Mobley bobblehead was on the top of my TV while watching the lottery.

Then CD trades that most sexy looking androginously-named Cuttino into a sleeping eyes guy with a girl name.

I mean,,,Carroll Dawson has a girl name, too. and all Chinese names sound like girl names, too.

good God we have someone named Head!

how can you ever think of trading him

ok, i'm drifting here...point is that JVG came out of retirement specifically to coach Yao, and construct a coaching staff for Yao...then he got rid of my Cuttino to get Tracy....because that was the right thing to do for Yao.

JVG will never quit unless Yao wants him to.

or after we win this title this year!

i'm so freaking jazzed!

2. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Haloperidol

3. Pocket Rockets

i think you may have answered your own question from your hangout thread :D

4. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Methinks your drunk, and your drunkenness has helped you reach the conclusion

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think JVG came out of retirement because he wants a ring and thinks that Yao can get one for him.

I still wonder why he quit on the Knicks team, but here in Houston he has been a pretty good coach.

I would like to see some things done differently, but you can not argue with the team's success this year.

Right now he is the NBA coach of the year in my book.

DD

6. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

Don't you think that, even though today is saturday, it is still a bit too early to drink that much?

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

yes, metaphorically speaking...i'm still drunk from that singer...

this thread is serious though. maybe I'll respond later tonight while drunk...but not now....this is serious.

JVG is out or retirement specifically to help Yao. Who disagrees with that? It's not an ego thing like jvg-haters like DaDakota spew in his thread today.

It is because JVG loves to coach talent...and he wants to make sure Yao gets a coach who is all about Yao.

i am so jazzed. it's just so sad that deke and jho can't do it every game.

8. Pocket Rockets

i think his vision when he wanted to come back was realizing that yao would be the next dominant force in the low post once shaq started his downturn, and he had an asset in francis that would either excel or he could trade for a better superstar (mcgrady).
    he knew he would be able to compete in playoffs year in and year out for prob 6 good years, thus making it a successful opportunity.

9. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

Drinking is important. Life is about drinking.

10. DaDakota

I am not a JVG hater. Are you JVG's lover?

As for actual discussion: We are saying the exact same thing, he has done a good job and should be coach of the year.

But, if you think JVG is selfless and only coaching to help Yao than I don't know what to say, that is a fairly shallow view. I mean he is getting paid, right?

Where was JVG when he quit the Knicks? HMMMMMMMMMM?????

I don't HATE JVG...but at least I keep it real.......I said he should be coach of the year.....how is that hate.....

Sometimes HP, you are just silly.

JVG was not retired by the way....he QUIT, and that is not hatred...it is FACT.....stick that in your JVG love Bong and smoke it.

DD

#10 DaDakota, Feb 24, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I find it extremely amusing to watch rookies respond to heypee.

they dont realize that his normal way of thinking/writing may comes across a little intoxicated, but that is entirely normal for him.

hp

I would have to agree that if the players didnt get his attention, he would and could have stayed in the broadcast booth making some nice bank and not have to deal with the high levels of stress associated with keeping a team performing at the high standards he expects.

HE could easily just tell the guys to play however they wanted and not have to put in the work and he would still get his money.
    The people who dont appreciate what he does dont realize just how much he does that he doesnt have to do. Lots of coaches keep their jobs and dont expect their teams to work near as hard as he does.

12. startover

startover Member

Learn some Chinese before making such an ignorant comment, please! Or at least get educated, in your own language.

13. DaDakota

JVG puts in massive work and he is clearly dedicated to his craft. Would another coach get more out of this team? Who knows, that is conjecture and a waste of time to argue.

Even though I have issues with JVG and the way he manages the team, I still respect the man and the coach for what he has done in dealing with massive adversity.

JVG is in contention for coach of the year and should get an extension.....unless we flame out in the first round again if everyone is healthy.

You know what....Avery is probably going to win it, but JVG deserves it.

DD

#13 DaDakota, Feb 24, 2007
  14. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

he's messing around, dont be so sensitive.:rolleyes:

I realize jokes are sometime hard to read online when your jokee has got a weird sense of humor (like hp does)....sometimes its best to assume the best instead of the worst .

15. DaDakota

It was clearly insensitive. I am sure he meant it as a joke, but it is the same as Shaq's comments....not funny and insulting to a lot of people that are on this board......got to keep it real.

DD

#15 DaDakota, Feb 24, 2007
  16. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

Don't you argue that all the time? :p

17. DaDakota

Nah, I am just saying things I wish JVG did......I actually like a lot about him....but some of his stubborness and lack of adaptability bugs me...

But 34-20 is not that bad......

DD

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

:D

All English name sounds silly in Chinese.

19. rocketswinitall

Dont you think its funny that Van Gundy is trying to win a title with a franchise that took away his chance at one as an assistant coach

20. MandM's

MandM's Member

maybe he needed the money.