1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Have you ever seen someone that can get to rim with this kind of speed/athleticism like westbrook?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IBTL, Feb 13, 2020.

1. YallMean

YallMean Member

It's not that someone else can do it like Russ. Rose, Francis, as already mentioned, they all can do it ... at times. It' rather Russ makes it look so easy. If he is one on one and lane is empty, it is pretty much over. No one in the post is that good in the game today, let alone a little guy.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

LMFAOOO...TOLD YALL SO.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

DMO pre back injury :)

hakeem94 and DaDakota like this.
  4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Not even the same position or close to it. Matt Maloney on the other hand once drove for a layup and made it, I watched it live on tv. So I would say Matt Maloney is the closest I’ve seen to Westbrook.

5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I remember pablo progioni throwing down some sick windmills here

kevtse, peleincubus and hakeem94 like this.
  6. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I’ve seen two players live that utterly shocked me.

Derrick Rose vs the Hawks in the playoffs and Michael Vick, first real game vs Miami

I remember thinking both times if I had to guard them and I KNEW what they were doing ahead of time I still could do nothing to stop them.

Richie_Rich and withmustard like this.
  7. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When I first read the title I was like “get to rim” huh?

8. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

Francis is more shifty and trying to jump into the defenders' bodies, while westbrook is more "im goin to the rack and you're not gonna do anything about it." Westbrook more of a downhill player which works with the traps on harden at half court.

Dwade was amazing but I felt like he got to the rim because of his insane splits on the pick n roll. He was strong and had the english off the glass, whereas Russ is just trucking people downhill everytime.

What makes Russ' relentless takes to the rim efficient lately is that he's been keeping defenses honest with his midrange game. If he keeps that up with the same tendency to go to the rack, it's going to make for a career year for him and ups our ceiling in the playoffs.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good point, or VSPan!

DD

snowconeman22 likes this.
  10. MD_in_Training

lol, i'll let this pic do the talking!

[​IMG]

Roomba, Richie_Rich, smp and 2 others like this.
  11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Doesn't Harden flop plenty on drives? Like A LOT? All those head snap backs, arm flails, and arm hooks?

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Francis was a master of identifying off-balanced defenders and getting to the rack. One of the greatest of all-time...

Thing with Steve is that he would try and get his terrible teammates going all game long, often not even trying to score until the 4th quarter.

IMO Steve could be a 28-8-8 guy in 2020...

#52 RudyTBag, Feb 13, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    jiggyfly likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

he has significantly stopped much of that. it was much worse in his younger days pre mvp.

most of that stuff is the other end now and a big reason why players can't truly play physical in this era anymore.

smp likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Are you a passive aggressive b**** towards Harden?

Like A LOT?

15. fchowd0311

You really hate me huh? Can I suggest you put me on ignore?

16. fchowd0311

I'm not seeing it. He still heavily depends on extending his arm and head snap backs. He's still hooking. He still draws the most fouls off three pointers by a significant margin.

I would say the play style today heavily benefits the offensice player. The offensive player can initiate contact and the defender is called for the foul. Defenders can't lunge forward to defend threes because of landing space calls and players can't hand check. Hand checking I'll admit isn't enforced that much but Harden does force the hands of the refs to call it by hooking arms with defenders when they do hand check or just flailing.

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Can Westbrook do this. One of the most athletic plays I’ve ever seen.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

of course you wouldn't. you have your harden agenda. everyone knows that. nobody can seriously have an honest harden discussion with you. it always reverts back to the same exact thing

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. fchowd0311

Why is it an "agenda" and not just my genuine opinion?

I notice whenever I actually put forth a bit of nuance trying to explain my position, you and a lot of Harden Stan posters revert to meta discussions about my agenda and me being a Jeremy Lin only fan.

bmelo likes this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

you can call it whatever you want. doesn't really matter. the entire board is well aware of it. that should tell you something