1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Have we cracked the Rim Protector + Stick to Shooters Defense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Dec 8, 2017.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Last game was 1st Time in Rockets History we have put up 40+ 3FA vs Utah...10 more than any game last year.

This might seem minor, but I think it's a pretty telling stat indicating Utah (the team who tries to prevent us from taking 3s the most) is having trouble covering us now that we have more fire power on the court. (Note we got off 39 in Harden's 56 pt game earlier this year.)

Also, Utah gives up only 94.4 ppg at Home this year. We passed that with 10 minutes left in the game, scoring 112.

Might indicate other teams will have trouble, too.

Highlighted games are MDA games.

RkDateTmOppResultFGFGAFG%3P3PA3P%PTS
    12017-12-07HOUUTAW 112-1013881.4691842.429112
    22017-11-05HOUUTAW 137-1104881.5932339.590137
    32013-01-28HOUUTAW 125-804789.5281634.471125
    42015-01-10HOUUTAW 97-823377.4291334.38297
    52016-02-23HOUUTAL 114-117 (OT)3687.4141134.324114
    62015-03-12HOUUTAL 91-1093479.430732.21991
    72016-11-19HOUUTAW 111-1024294.4471232.375111
    82017-03-08HOUUTAL 108-1153579.443832.250108
    91995-04-23HOUUTAL 97-1033587.4021031.32397
    102007-01-05HOUUTAW 100-863482.4151130.367100
    112016-11-29HOUUTAL 101-1203791.4071130.367101
    fwiw: Only two teams kept us under 30 3FA since MDA became coach ... the first game of the year last year (LAL), and one Denver game last year. None this year.

#1 heypartner, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  2. theimpossibles1

There's a first time for everTHREEthing!

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Feigen's article today is a good juxtaposition of these stats. He describes the Utah / Gobert defense as the one everyone points to as the one that can take us out of our game and make us shoot midrange or lose.

Rockets about to encounter defense with a Jazz twist

LOS ANGELES - If you were to design a defense to deal with the Rockets, few options would be more tempting than to get Rudy Gobert and do things the Utah Jazz way.

Of course, you might start with Gobert to defend any offense in the NBA. But particularly to defend the Rockets - determined to take next to nothing but 3-pointers, layups and dunks - you might build your defense around a rim protector. You would then overplay on the perimeter, stick with shooters and make the Rockets maneuver to the shots you'd want them to take.

The Rockets have always said their offense, even with its preferences, has options to attack any defense, a theme they repeated heading into Thursday's rematch with the Jazz and one that likely will come up often when they reach the postseason.

Rarely have the Rockets made that point more vividly than Nov. 5 in Houston, when they torched a defense that would seem nearly ideal - along with Golden State's switch-everything excellence - for defending their state-of-the-art offense. The Rockets rolled to 137 points, their second most this season, to become the only team to top 120 against the Jazz and one of just two to surpass 110 points.

'Impose our will'

Much of that pointed directly to the Rockets' answer to starting a defense with Gobert. James Harden, still the starting point for the Rockets' offense, had a career-high 56 points that night in Toyota Center. But the Rockets like to think there is no scheme, including the style the 7-1 center makes possible, that can take away everything.

"Probably a little bit of both," coach Mike D'Antoni said when asked if the Rockets solved the Jazz defense or just had a hot night. "I don't know if they were off their game or we were on our game.

"I still feel like - and it could be we don't do anything against them (Thursday) - whatever you want to do … there's always something, a way to attack them. We have to do that and impose our will on them. If we do that, we'll be fine."

Harden was particularly unstoppable that night, making 19 of 25 shots, including 7 of 8 3-pointers, along with dishing out 13 assists. He said Gobert, who was third in the NBA Defensive Player of the Year balloting last season, is "as good as it's going to get." He also said his strategy against Jazz defense is "attack Gobert."

"I see every defense," Harden said. "You find ways to be aggressive going into the game, how to get your shots and be effective. Then, you go out there and just do the best you can. I've obviously been facing Utah for a few years now. They do a really good job trying to take away the 3-pointer and make you play against Gobert. I just have to be aggressive and be in attack mode."

The Jazz style has some similarities with the defense used by Oklahoma City and San Antonio in the playoffs last season. They were different on the ballhandler but also kept their big men backpedaling to the rim to make Harden shoot over them.

The Rockets hoped to find an answer to that with the addition of Chris Paul, who can add a second playmaker when Harden is surrounded but also excels at the sort of shots the defense does allow.

"Chris is really good, and James, too, at the midrange game," D'Antoni said, insisting he does not consider "midrange jumpers" to be banned words. "If they give up the midrange game, we'll take those little 15-footers. We won't love it. But if that's all that's there and it's good, we have two in the best in the league to do it. It's not bad."

Added Harden: "I don't not take midrange shots. I take what the defense gives me."

The Rockets score just 3.9 percent of their points in the midrange, far less than any other team. Against Utah, they bumped that up to nearly 6 percent, still less than any team averages this season, but that was when Paul was out.

New wrinkle in Paul

With Paul back, the Rockets not only have a player who has spent his career taking the sort of shots available against a defense concentrating on the rim and 3-point line, but another passer to draw the defense and create the shot the Rockets prefer.

"Every game, there's going to be teams that give us different looks or different opportunities," forward Ryan Anderson said. "That's the beauty of this team. We can score in a lot of different ways. There's going to be some nights where they try to take away our 3s, that's where we have Clint (Capela) and James and Eric (Gordon), guys that really attack the basket and get into the paint.

"We're a real smart team. We know how to play around different systems to guard us. Utah, they do guard us a little differently than other teams. But obviously, we played pretty well against it last timse."

In many ways, they were never better, but with many tests - including Thursday's - to come.

4. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I think CP3 did what so many wanted, which was take the free throw jumpshots when it came time for them. He hit at least half of them. Couple bricks but I’d definitely bet he made more than 50%. So that in theory should be considered a good shot. Valuewise it’s the cheapest but what’s the value or measure of the ball going in the bucket versus forcing a 3? Driving into gobert’s reach?

How do you guard the rim, the 3 point line AND that free throw area? Is that even possible?

5. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Games like this is great to have Chris on our team. Harden did get his and scored but they were defending us real close and they are a good at deflecting balls and scoring. I wanted to know if we had a game like tonight were harden wasn’t being too aggressive to the hole if we could win. I mean he got his points but he had a harder time this game.

Also Capela again didn’t play well. He has played average last couple of games and losing the ball or not finishing at the rim.
    Like tonight he just ran without looking at the ball and the ball hit his leg on a tucker pass. Almost a turnover there.

When Capela and Tucker were in foul trouble I thought we were in trouble. But we went small and we actually went on a run.
    The rockets played great defense. Though at times they stopped defending well.
    Good game overall. Ryan, Paul and Ariza played great. Hopefully Gordon gets off his funk soon. Good thing is he still is going in and trying to score that way.

D-rock and Chilly_Pete like this.
  6. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

It's fun watching Cp3 hits those ft jumpers so easily, it's gonna be one of our bread and butter bail-outs when we can't shoot the three.

Daddy Long Legs and hakeem94 like this.
  7. j@amc

j@amc Member

I find lots to agree with here.

1. Having Paul made all the difference in the world. He can get shots for everyone.

2. Like you, when we went small, I thought we might get beat on the glass or that the Jazz might impose their will on the game. Far from it. . . We lured Favors out 26 feet from the basket . . . and Anderson kept making shots, from even further away. When he was out of the picture (literally), Harden and Paul could get any shot in the paint they wanted. The game went from an 8-11 lead to 23 in a flash.

I have a different take on Capela. Foul trouble shortened his night. That was far and away his best showing against Gobert. Black and Tucker were okay (+0 in their 26 minutes ) and that's a lot better than we've done in the past when Nene is out.

I think we could circle this game on the calendar as true sign of our team's maturity. Seeing that kind of effort on defense on the road looked so good.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Its fairly hindsight to say "if we get chris paul we will be good" then you see it and it's like "damn adding chris paul and we are pretty good"

I used to think it would be nothing but peaches& cream when we got barkley and then they are fighting over the left block.

When we signed pippen I thought the same. Then I thought same with howard. Turns out chemistry doesnt always just fit with star players.

Even when we got drexler the first 20 games there was a bit of this thinking of whether it would work.

So thats what makes this a tad crazy scary good. We are gelling quickly AND gelling in general. extremely good news.

At this point the biggest concern is injury and cp3- harden relationship dynamic.

The negative nancy in me worries how long harden can play nice and share. It may not matter if cp3 is going to come in and break 2nd units back like he is doing and genrerally just imposing his will too. Even if harden wants to be a baby in hardens shoes it has be hard not to smile seeing a team mate do that. I dont think hes THAT much a hater. Lets hope not.

D-rock likes this.
  9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Does 3FA stand for chuck saying “three frow attempts”

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The best defense against the Rockets is what San Antonio did to us in the playoffs last year: keep the big man at home, always be ready to close out on the perimeter, and grab Capela on the pick'n'roll. The answer is to do what Chris Paul does which is to pull up for the 7-11ft jumper. When Harden does it he prefers the elbow jumper at 15-18ft. Either way you're forcing us into a close but still midrange jump shot, probably the least efficient shot we're gonna take.

In Houston they call the fouls to clog up the paint. Sometimes. That's why home court is so important.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I also like what Walton did, mixing up a couple decent looks against us and using their length to their advantage. Here's a good video breaking it down:

Bottom line: the Rockets have pretty much seen everything, and even with the Whistle-Swallowing home field advantage of Salt Lake they couldn't stop us. We bad.

calurker, seeingred and D-rock like this.
  12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I feel like those pull ups by Chris Paul are like layups for him, he will take that everytime if teams play us like that

justtxyank likes this.
  13. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Havent read the thread yet but they started the game with the “park pau at the rim and defend the perimeter” strategy the spurs employed last year.

With an elite defender like Gobert it’s smart, although without constantly spending longer than 3 in the key like the spurs did, it’s no wonder we were sluggish.

But it’s nice to have an added weapon to attack that defense and that weapon was the pull up in the paint “mid range” (sup @OTMax ) that ended up drawing Gobert out an extra 2-3 feet to contest that shot.

What this did was help open the lob, which they were defending very well early sagging back, and crest a sliver more space to drive; which we weren’t getting contact calls early but eventually led to more free throws as the game went on.

Then in the 3rd we just killed them finally with pace and the 3

Deuce likes this.
  14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Eye test analysis - didn't the overall ****-awfulness of Utah at shooting and the Rockets newfound ****-awesomeness at defensive boarding contribute to us getting into sets more quickly and a lot of quick opps before they could set up?

15. seeingred

seeingred Member

that's a well done, informative video. hard to believe a Lakers fan made it...

16. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I put this in the midrange thread, too:

I admit that I didn’t think CP3 would be that much of an upgrade over what Bev brought as far as being the perfect complement to Harden. But after last night’s win against a red hot Jazz team, I see where his most significant contribution resides. It’s the mid-range!

The Rockets have been a well-oiled machine since last year. Threes, frees, and ease. Nothing in between. The Rockets offense thrives on this last year. That is until teams gave up the midrange. The Rockets seemed lost when the offense was forced in between the three-point line and the basket. It almost felt like a broken play. Actually, it probably was. Possessions like these forced Bev to take midrange shots, which probably felt foreign to him as they likely didn’t practice them enough.

With Chris Paul, there’s a sense of stability when the Rockets are only given midrange shots. He rocks one of the best midrange games in the league today. A combination of an excellent midrange shooting percentage and the savvy to keep the dribble alive in high-stress areas allow Chris Paul to have options in the midrange. He reads the defense so well. Take the shot he’s made a living off of, or pass the rock when the help defense makes its move. If everyone stays home, he’s got a nifty post game, too.

I’m very excited. There’s a lot to love about this team. We already knew about the potential of different combinations with the versatile players picked up in the offseason. It’s not only CP3 contributing in major ways to our early success. The Cerberus Rotation (Hounds of Houston?) of Ariza/Tucker/Mbah Moute is just as relentless on defense as the Harden/Paul/Gordon rotation is on offense. They can all make threes. And the two superstars also provide elite playmaking and emergency midrange stability. The Rockets are playing so well right now early I’m the experiment. Just wait until they figure it out. Scary.

17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I’ve mentioned it before that the teams overplaying/ defending vs the 3-pt shot in prior years (Cavs/GSW/SAS, etc);

Now those teams have to show concern with drives from Harden/Gordon off kick outs .....now add CP3/Luc MaM/Tucker/Ariza to that mix