1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Have we addressed the wing defense with the addition of Shumpert?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YallMean, Feb 7, 2019.

1. YallMean

YallMean Member

To me, the biggest problem there was that guys like Kuzma, Ben Simmons, Julius Randell, and insert anyone over 6'6 that can shoot/slash around elbow could score on us at will. Of course Durant and Paul George, but no one can stop those.
    Last season we had Ariza and Luc that could move quick enough to put up defense in that area. PJ tries, but he fouls a lot, and is a bit clumsy at times. Guys like Rivers that can move and close spaces to pack it, but almost hopeless against those lengthy guys.

So is Shumpert the answer there?

#1 YallMean, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    roslolian likes this.
  2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Do you mean Strumpet?

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

If Shump is the answer, then the question sucks. I don’t think anyone fears Shump’s defense. He’s a nice rotation player to have tho and will definitely help on that end.

I remember his rookie year when I was thinking he was gonna be on the All-Defensive Teams for years to come...I really liked him as a rookie

Why not? and YallMean like this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

Obviously the answer is Paul George....

... but in the real world you have to settle for what is available at a position of need ( 3&D).

amaru likes this.
  6. YallMean

YallMean Member

To be honest, I am not even sure if Shump will be necessarily much better than James Ennis.

7. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

who's going to play PF when Tucker sit?
    Clark?
    Green?
    or Harden?

8. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

On defense he’ll be better than Ennis, on offense he’ll probably be the same. This is why it’s important we get some points from the backup 3.

9. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

just don't let Shumpert dribble the ball
    at least he won't commit stupid foul and let player blow by him

YallMean likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

Maybe, maybe not. Shump doesn’t have the length of Ennis but hopefully his defensive IQ makes up for it.

11. icewill36

icewill36 Member

We still have no size on the perimeter, so no.... we would always sign house but I guess saving a few thousand on tax is better than trying to win :rolleyes:

12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Shump is one answer but I think we need more than just him - one or two solid buyout guys would really help here. We need versatility and depth so we can counter teams and/or keep our core guys fresh deep into the playoffs and if we have to, we need guys to help us from not burning through the same 5 guys when one of our core rotation guys go down.

13. bj3175

bj3175 Member

I thought Ennis would have gotten better as a help defender opposed to an on the ball defender like Shump

YallMean likes this.