1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hassan Whiteside?!

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by The Rock MVP, May 19, 2010.

1. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

I personally do not understand the hype around this guy. Yes, he can shot block, but so can so many other bust big men that have come around this league.

- He has high risk potential, but again we are in a win now mode. If we get Bosh, we are in a win now mode that this guy will not solve.

- He is from a no name school and beating up on lesser talent.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Lot's of hype for the 5th best potential Center int he draft.

He's hard to coach, unpredictable and was a Beast in a very weak conference.

Some look at him he's the 2nd best Center compared to Cousins. I don't see that at all. I see a bust.

3. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Whiteside probably the 2-5 best center in the draft in reality (after Cousins, Aldrich, Orton, and Motiejunas). The other player centers are somewhat too small to play starting center or are more suited power forward for a full season, like Favors (6,9); Monroe (6,10); Patterrson (6,8); and a few other odd player.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2010mock_draft
    http://www.nbadraft.net/players/hassan-whiteside
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Hassan-Whiteside-5660/

Reasons to draft him;

1) He might be the best defensive player of the lot, and without a doubt the best shot blocker (more specifically- good weak side blocker) with great timing and anticipation. He seems to be above average at rotation

2) He's an athletic 7 footer who is pretty leaper.

3) He has nimbleness in his game, sort of like Camby, Nene, Aldridge, Gasol, Blatche, and few other, though not to the point of KG (young), nimble.

4) 7'6 wingspan

5) He has decent mid-range game

6) He's aggressive on offense.

Reasons not to draft him (most of them are much more superficial and opinionated):

1) Too raw, valid concern.

2) Too immature (but he might have a better attitude than Cousins)

3) He has a small, lanky size (235) and , which is not that small for NBA center. While, he can always put some weight and get up 245-250. He can get enough body strength in the NBA to become stronger resistance on post ups. He has the two thing that we need sort of need, but you cannot teach, size and athleticism.

4) Poor free throw shooter, valid concern.

5) He probably needs more post moves.

6) Passing ability, valid concern.

7) Basketball IQ

I think Whiteside or Cousins would inevitably make us better at center, so would Aldrich (though I do not think his ceiling is as high as the other two though). Whiteside could give us 8 ppg to 10 ppg -6 or 10-10-1.4 blks, and he'd be good for us, especially if Yao is healthy. For Cousins, it would be more in the range of 12 ppg - 15 ppg and 7-10 rebs, which should not be hard if he ends up starting and plays 35+ a game.

4. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

From Draftexpress:

Sure, he might be able to bulk up, he might be able to improve his attitude and he might even be able to secure a brain transplant for himself, but as of next season he also most likely will make our interior defense worse if he even gets any playing time.

When you have Jerome ****ing Jordan abusing you, it doesn't bode well for you in the pro's.

Saying Whiteside is a high-risk acquisition may very well be the biggest understatement in the draft. Most likely he will be the Calvin Booth 2.0.

5. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

The article did not say he was bad defender per se, it specifically explained his small frame (in a whole sum of the article) can render him ineffective against strong post players. in college It speaks more poor fundamentals, positioning, and a weak build than anything, again. It also continues to explain his strengths on defense . . .

http://dimemag.com/2010/03/dime-nba-draft-profile-hassan-whiteside/

6. jvu

jvu Member

Appreciate the research! He'd make a risky pick but if he ends up on the right team like the Rockets, he could develop into someone by the name of Dikembo Mutombo

7. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

So basically Whiteside - at the moment - doesn't have much else defensively going for him than his (admittedly great) weakside shot blocking. And this is against mostly ****ty competition in college.

I'm not arguing against Whiteside's (physical) potential, but saying he might be the best defender of the bunch right now is a reach. There's for example Aldrich who played against better competition and produced and likely will be much more ready to defend against NBA caliber competition next season.

#7 saintja2, May 19, 2010
    Last edited: May 19, 2010
  8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Lets do some addition, Whiteside + post-move training with Hakeem = ready to contribute.

9. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

His basketball IQ is a concern... His immaturity is a concern... His lack of post moves is a concern... Him being too raw is a concern... His lack of passing is a concern... So what's there to be concern about?

10. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

11. swattx

swattx Member

Hmmm interesting... if this is true then the rockets needs to check his progress and if there's improvement, they should take a hard look at considering drafting him

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Hey, i called it right on. Now i know he will be ready. With Hakeem on your team, how can he lose? Hakeem will make a winner out of him. :cool:

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Hey don't you think this news is thread worthy? :confused:

1 person likes this.
  14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Right, but Aldrich has literally no upside at all versus somebody like Whiteside that's probably 8/10th's of the defender Aldrich is right now with upside through the roof. In that type of situation the deciding factor is clearly what type of player you're going for -- BPA vs. NBA ready vs. project.

I like Whiteside. Given his size, strengths and potential he's almost a no-brainer if still available when we pick at 14. I understand he has red flags and concerns, but beggars can't exactly be choosers at that point in the draft. If your goal is to snag somebody with a chance to get a LOT better that's the type of baggage you have to be prepared to deal with. This draft is definitely big-heavy but if you look closely at the mock drafts the big named PF/C's all start to disappear right around where we'll be selecting. I know, for sure, I don't want to see a couple perhaps overblown concerns prevent us from making what appears to be an overall smart pick.

15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Chris Reina

Cousins has interviewed with Toronto, Golden State and Minnesota. Raptors were more concerned with character, conditioning for Warriors. about 6 hours ago

John Wall Talks Legacy, Extraordinary Court Vision, How He's Like LeBron

Luke Babbitt: "I see myself as a three man, defending the three, with also the ability to be a four man."

Hassan Whiteside is working out in Houston with Hakeem Olajuwon. Called him his mentor.

Toughest guy of this class, Damion James, missing interview session because of busted lip. Needs stitches.

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

If someone told you whiteside would have the exact same career as theo ratliff, would you draft that player at 14?

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A healthy Theo... YES!

Plus, this guy has real skill offensively...

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I have a pretty good feeling that he will surpass the likes of Ratliff and Camby. He has already gotten a jump on the competition. Personally, i don't think he will be at 14. More like 12. :(

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I am okay with a project.

20. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Whiteside is really a gamble, even more than Thabeet or Alabi IMO.

However we have the Wizard, and if we draft him that means the man see's a spot for this guy in the NBA. I doubt Morey will use the 14th pick on him if he isn't 90% he can pan out.

Jonathan Givony said last night that Whiteside's interview wasn't very good... gave weird answers apparently.