1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has the digital camera ruined the concert experience?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by macalu, Sep 9, 2008.

1. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Really, everyone's holding up a digital camera at concerts now. instead of rocking and throwing hands up to the beat of the drums, it's a bunch of lcd screens staring back at you. i love seeing parts of the concert on youtube as much as anyone, especially when something out of the ordinary happens like Oasis getting pushed off the stage or Great White burning down the house, literally, but I feel it's taken away from concert experience.

agree/disagree?

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I agree. A million little LCD screens from cameras and phones is kind of annoying.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

better than getting burned with lighters.

4. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

I think it looks really pretty.

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I'm guilty of this.

As I was doing it, I kinda wished I could be watching the show. I kinda weighed in on the risk/reward. If i shoot this, I get to see it forever. But then I don't get to overall enjoy the experience.

6. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

The music has to really suck to make me pay attention to other people and their cameras....otherwise, it doesnt bother me at all.

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

so what did you do with the hannah montana concert pics afterwards?

8. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Seems lame to me. I'd rather be present in the moment and soaking up every bit of the experience. Realistically, how often would you even sit down and watch through all of the footage that you took?

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I once brought a really nice DVD camera to a show and recorded the whole thing.

When I got home I watched the video and it was pretty underwhelming.

Then I realized that I hadn't really gotten much out of the show from just being there.

So you raise a valid point, the amateur photography isn't worth it IMO, leave it to the pros to capture the moments.

10. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

The Lopez brothers also kinda ruined the expierence

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I'll usually get a 15 second or so clip of the chorus of a song that I like. Couple of weeks ago at the SF Outside Lands fest, I got some good footage of Radiohead, Tom Petty, and Beck.

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I never made it to the show.

:(

13. conquistador#11

the best advice i can give is to not shoot on auto. Open up that lens, set it on a higher iso, but do not shoot on auto!!1122445511!

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

lol. I did my share of recording during the Lynard Skynard concert in CS last year.

15. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i'm a dumbass when it comes to cameras...what does a higher iso do?

16. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I agree. Bringing a camera to a concert is weak.

Sincerely,
    Beyonce

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sDw_3bl4r8U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sDw_3bl4r8U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

17. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Funny, I thought crappy music ruined the concert experience

18. conquistador#11

It allows you to get a better shot in dark places. I usually go with Iso 400 at concerts, Iso 100/ 64 outdoors, or Iso 200 when I'm trying to convince gfs to take half nude pics in my living room. :p

If you go over 400, it can produce a lot of noise on a point a shoot.

19. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

That Beyonce video reminded me of this one:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xia_gu356Pk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xia_gu356Pk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

20. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

As someone who attends 2-3 concerts a week, I really don't mind.

Its much, much better than those fools who insist on smoking weed at every concert. In the yesteryear people used to hold up lighters, which could also be construed as annoying.

The only thing that is annoying are those picture takers who take pictures with flash. They don't realize that you can't take a picture of the stage with flash. You will just take a picture of the people standing in front of view.

I really enjoy watching fan recorded videos of bands that don't have alot of media coverage. Sometimes its the only way to get a feel fro their live act.

On a related note, my friend got kicked out of Interpol concert for taking pictures with his digital camera. The security apparently, didn't have a problem with people taking pictures with their camera phones, but only with actual digital cameras.