1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has Omer Asik played his last game as a Rocket already?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OldfanofTmac, Jan 3, 2014.

1. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

"Polar Opposites", in every sense of the phrase!...

(P.S) Omer, holding his leg to keep thigh bruise from exploding...:rolleyes:

2. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

Normally I root for every ex-Rocket to do well. Asik will be on the very short list of ex rockets player I will not root for.

3. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

If we would Send Asik to Portland it would make them favourites to Win the West and LMA might wanna stay there with Lillard emerging.
    I think we would be still better than Dallas or Phoenix regardless if they have Asik,Future Big Time FA's would Not sign with either of them too(we saw it with The Mavericks who signed Ellis and Calderon instead of Dwight and CP3)

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think LMA is staying regardless. I saw something yesterday about him already talking extension.

I think Portland is already going to be good for awhile while Dallas and Phoenix could have significant drops below contention if they have an injury or two, Dirk declines, or they make dumb moves in free agency.

I dunno... its an interesting debate, but I think at the end of the day its just going to come down to who has the best offer.

Right now, Dallas' offer is probably going to suck so we can just rule them out. They are talking about retiring Marion's jersey in the AAC so I have a hard thinking they can get a deal done. If its just Calderon/Dalembert and maybe a pick I think Morey might do better with Phoenix or Portland.

-If Portland includes Lopez and CJ McCollum I think this is a really good deal for Houston. If its something like Freeland & Dorell Wright... not so much but it does add good depth & a good shooter while preserving 2015 cap space. Still probably a better deal than the Dallas one.

-Phoenix- Worst case scenario is Asik for Alex Len straight up. Best case would be Channing Frye and maybe another young player.

Either way all 3 teams have deals that could help out the Rockets BEFORE DRAFT PICKS are negotiated. Each deal has its positives and negatives, but the point is, they are much, much better than the proposed Boston deal any way you look at it. Preserve cap space, and get players that can help now more than Asik is helping... Picks would be a whole other topic.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

LaMarcus admitted he is fitting like a glove in the system of Stotts.
    A shame that is staying.

6. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't mind Morey biding his time to find the best deal possible. But if in fact he knew he had a problem with Omer's attitude back in the summer(and all indications are Omer was PO'd and didn't want to be here), then he had an obligation to deal with the issue before it became a distraction to the team. Instead, he kept Omer on the roster heading into training camp which led McFail to attempt the disastrous Twin Towers experiment(I blame Morey more than McFail for that) and when it became obvious T-Jones was the better option at the 4, that left the Rockets with an even more PO'd Omer who then basically shut it down for the year after a brief week or two where he attempted to anchor the 2nd unit. Morey's done some great work lately as the Rockets GM. This was not one of his better moments though.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Shortly after the Rockets signed Howard, you had report(s) from ESPN/Brian Windhorst about Omer wanting a trade.

Ha, many on here blew those reports off.

"Didn't hear it from Omer! Not true!"

"I'll wait for a better source."

"Omer isn't like this; I'll wait to hear something more reliable."

Least did they know...

:grin:

8. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Disagree with you here, because if the TT experiment worked (i still think it can for sure) then he would of been content to stay here and atleast play even if he was telling daryl to trade him

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I am on-board with this deal 100% even if it means Portland could turn into a sure-fire WCF candidate. At this pt, a rookie guard like McCollum would be a more valuable asset than Asik. Seeing as how Portland is doing very well without the rook and are in dire need of a defensive upgrade, this seems like a viable deal.

As an aside, I was under the impression McCollum was a 2, but he is commonly listed as a 1. Having Dame, I imagine Portland will try to shoehorn him into a 2.

10. thething

thething Contributing Member

Normally when a player is injured, they give you a timetable when you can expect the player to be back.

What is the timetable for Asik's injury? If it is a minor injury, is he day-to-day? If it is a major injury, why hasn't it been reported?

It is all fishy to me--don't expect Asik to be out there.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Morey admitted publicly that there was a trade request pretty early. I think it in the summer when Morey did a radio interview and where the hosts asked him about Omer's trade request and he acknowledged it and even joked that the phone call from the agent might have contained some profanities. I think this happened before Omer's former agent, Justin Zanik, took the job to become Utah Jazz's assistant GM.

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

What I think is fishy about all this is the alleged guarantee the Rockets made to Asik that he would be the starting big man during his entire tenure. Honestly, that kind of a promise would be incredibly shortsighted, improbable and unreasonable for BOTH parties.

This smells like damage-control by Asik's people.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Please believe me....without question....on this:

The S.S. Omer "The Rocket" Asik has sailed.

It did take a torpedo, but by good fortune watertight integrity was maintained. Repairs are slow but all will be complete by February 20, 2014. At which point the ship will be renamed. Various possibilities include "The Celtic", "The Bobcat", "The Pelican"...

14. thebeardedwon

thebeardedwon Member

I wish omer was playing. Wed protect leads better and win more games

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

We would not be able to beat Portland if we sent them Asik no way.

There is zero chance Morey entertains making a WC rival better.

16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Agree but the other teams also know this as well so I find it a bit unrealistic that Morey will be able to fleece someone. The teams with the type of asset players we'd be interested in can afford to call Morey's bluff while those teams that could desperately use an Asik (Dallas) don't have anything with which to make a trade.

17. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yep, especially considering that we're a team that is built, primarily, from a trade by a WC rival.

18. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Lol true

No one was expecting that,still wish him the best cause I liked what he did for us last season.

If only Love or LMA would be available :(

19. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

I believe that Portland does not have interest in Asik at this point. Lopez fits in very well eith the team both on and off the court, and although their defense might be better with Asik, I don't think they want to change what's working for them at this point on the season.

20. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I hate to say it...but this Omer situation seems eerily similar to Bynum's