1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has Moreyball been discredited?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by celebrevida, May 11, 2017.

1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Maury continues to be mediocre. Yes he developed something but other teams have now taken that and ran away wjhile Maury is still here drowning in his cream soda and punching up new models as to why a very predictable offense with one ball handler and only 3 and layups is not working come playoff time

Clean house!

leebigez likes this.
  2. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

TBH, Morey is right on this aspect. Coaching doesn't really matter. As proof consider Luke Walton and Mike Brown. People thought Walton was an awesome coach but did nothing with Lakers. People thought Brown was a mediocre coach but he is looking great so far at the helm of the Warriors.

Finally consider Kevin McHale. Everyone thinks he is a Grade F coach but he is achieved more with less compared to (supposed) offensive genius Dantoni. McHale got to the WCF.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  3. split41

split41 Member

We might have to agree to disagree on this one, look what Stevens was able to do in Boston, Spo in miami. McHale had a lot years to get it together, had stars and better talent than this years squad, imo. Dwight was a beast in the playoffs for us. Dantoni got outcoached by Pop, didn't make any adjustments, blew game 5.

Dantoni's rep only recovered this year, when he was with the lakers and knicks everyone thought he was mediocre (and that his best days were behind him). Harden is a big reason for the rejuvenation of Dantoni's career.

I think coaching plays a big role in team culture, player chemistry along with putting your guys in the best position to succeed with X's and O's. I think Morey values these too little, but it's just my opinion.

In all fairness, Mike Brown did take the cavs to the finals and I think Walton and the lakers will push for the playoffs next year with Walton at the helm, but like I said at the start we might have to agree to disagree. I can see your point, just have a different perspective on it.

4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Play elite defense??? You do know that D'Antoni is the head coach, right?

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What has Morey repeatedly said is the most important thing? Talent. This team doesn't have enough talent to win, but the Morey strategy + MDA offense = overachieving in the interim, while we go and search for real all-around talent to surround Harden with.

6. Zergling

Zergling Member

The Rockets had the 3rd best record in the league. They were eliminated to one of the two teams with a superior record. Losing to that team doesn't mean everything we've accomplished and our systems are now invalidated. It just further shows that we need to improve the roster and shore up the weaknesses like defense/rebounding.

seeingred and ricardo1979 like this.
  7. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

never easy turning a good/very good team to a championship team. Sure it's easy to add LeBron, KD, some franchise talent to your team to put you in the group, but short of that what do you? Who can Morey realistically bring in right this moment to swing the pendulum? He tried Melo few years ago who wasn't feeling it. Sure CP3 has a player option, Blake Griffin too, would that put them up there with the Warriors?

8. Zergling

Zergling Member

No one move will put us up there with the Warriors but we have to try, plus that's Morey's job. At the minimum, we can leap past the Spurs next year if we make the right moves.

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

"Moreyball" is a great concept but it needs to be flexible. The Spurs did a great job at packing the paint with their bigs and then having their wings scramble and recover quickly on the perimeter. The midrange was there all day for JH but he refused to take it consistently because of the philosophy. JH is a good midrange shooter too. If he did take the midrange more often then the lane would open up more or the three point line. The rigidness of not taking midrange shots at all made the Rockets easy to lock in on during the playoffs. Simple pick and pops to the midrange would have sufficed. I get that paint points have the highest probability of going in and 3 point shots are worth more but wide open 15 footers will have a higher efficiency of going in versus contested paint shots and 3s.

Purp8585, Deuce and And1redux like this.
  10. Newlin

Newlin Member

Nothing wrong with Moreyball. The entire league is heading in that direction. The Warriors and the Cavs shoot a ton of three pointers also. I think the Clippers are a team that should be playing Moreyball. The Rockets just need to keep getting more players that fit the system.

11. And1redux

And1redux Member

Nope, not nearly to the degree that the Rockets are playing.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/moreyball-is-nothing-but-a-gimmicky-mirage.282804/

Warrios, Cavs, and the Spurs are much more flexible in their approach and less dogmatic about it. They take whatever the best shot happens to be at the moment, and if that shot is a wide open 16 footer, then so be it.

12. Newlin

Newlin Member

Yes, not to the degree the Rockets play it. I didn't say they were. I said the league is HEADING in that direction. I've been watching the NBA since before they had the three point shot. And through the years the three point shots keep increasing. More three point shots mean fewer two point shots. I'm saying the league is moving toward what the Rockets are doing. They aren't there yet, but it continues to move in that direction.

13. what

what Member

The problem with the rockets is controlling pace. The rockets need to generate fast breaks, but they have a team of munchkins so it is difficult.

14. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I'm confused. Didn't this team over-achieve with this system? They had the 3rd best record in the league, and were defeated by the team with the 2nd.

15. goldoil

goldoil Member

Bingo!

You said it!

I like how some of the posters were saying that the analytics of the Rockets were what was needed to get past the Spurs and Warriors but the Rockets will need more than analytics and threepointers to be an elite team.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No - Winning without a top 10 defense has been discredited.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't think Morey is against he midrange. He picked DMo after all.

I think dantoni is he one who really hates post ups and the mid-range.

Moreys job is to sign the players. Would he sign someone like Aldridge? I think he would. Though I don't think dantoni would like playing him

18. Malaya

Malaya Member

When Les stepped in and fired McHale, that's the beginning of the end. Owner lost his trust in his GM.

To top it off, why did the Rockets sell their soul to Harden? Travis Scott, your Tshirt design isn't even any good! Who gave Harden this much power over the organization? Pathetic

Purp8585 likes this.
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, it isn't because they shoot the mid-range as well, our Dogged 3s, fouls or layups strategy is a failed one, too predictable - we need to have some more options when Plan A falls apart.

The FT Line extended was WIDE open in the San Antonio series.
    DD

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Agreed on adding in some midrange when it makes sense. More flexibility and variance.

How hard would Harden be to defend if he added a consistent floater shot to his game. And also brought back that sweet step back jumper from the elbow. Mix those shots in with his drives and three point shots. Complete game. Hard to game plan against.

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.