1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has Morey Influenced McHale?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

McHale has done a good job mostly this season. Yeah he has made some bone headed substitutions and I have never been crazy about playing Delfino at the 4 but the offense has a style somewhat unique in the league. So much so that Mark Jackson has copied it. ANd I believe Morey has something to do with that.

I know the McHale fans will beat this down and even though I am not a big McHale fan I am not going to argue much against that. The thing is McHale said Morey throws piles of stats on his desk all the time and McHale says out of respect he doesn't throw it in the trash. But you got to believe his assistant coaches get it too and they probably aren't so quick to throw it away. ANd since McHale depends on them to make the game plan they could suggest a style of play that McHale never showed before.

One of the things Morey said is midrange shots (5-10 ft) are the worst shots you can take. Drives to the baskets and set three point shots are the best. Not dribble shoot threes but move the ball around to the open guy type threes. That's the Rocket game. McHale basically said that was stupid. If you have Kareem taking that shot it is high percentage. But that was a stupid response because we don't have Kareem. No one does. Still he has implemented an offense that is designed to find the open man. Either by attacking the paint and if no shot is there dishing to the open man behind the arc or moving the ball quickly till we find the open man.

It's a pretty effective offense when you consider we have no low post threat like we did back with Hakeem. ANd it is also an offense that McHale has never run and something Morey advocates. So either Morey is influencing McHale or Mchale is smarter than I think. Either way if this is the direction we are going we need a stretch 4 and an upgrade 3pt shooter off the bench. Kyle Korver anyone.

2. Outlier

Outlier Member

We need tougher defenders, that's what we need. Tony Allen in the offseason. Do it.

More Patrick Beverleys but at different positions. We'll turn into the Bulls of the West.

Also, where did McHale say all that in your second paragraph? Radio?

3. cw3k

cw3k Member

McHale did a pretty good job?

How many close game did he won against playoff contenders? You know, those within 2 possessions where you have to draw a game plan.

4. coffeelover665

yeah for sure Morey influence Mchale's coaching

5. TMac&Cheese

TMac&Cheese Rookie

Have you seen our shot selection??

6. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Of course. He's a yes man, why else do you think he's here?

7. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

The Warriors succeed playing this style while trotting out Barnes, K. Thompson and Steph Curry to start. 2 of those guys being elite shooters.

How many elite shooters do we have? 0. Harden makes them when he is open. That is becoming a rare thing. Parsons isn't bad either.

We need a PF that can step in and be 1B next to our 1A. Would love Aldridge. Just seems to fit what we need from that person.

8. prs325

prs325 Member

Yeah, I have Korver as an under the radar move by Morey this offseason