1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has Durant Neutered Curry?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SamFisher, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Caesar

Caesar Member

EPSN ranked Durant #22 ALL-TIME and Curry #23 ALL-Time.

While Kevin Love is ranked #99 all time and Kryie is unranked on their list. They also ranked Pippen top 25 ahead of players who led their team to championships on their own.

I know exactly what ESPN is trying to set up.

Clever girl.

2. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Likely, Spurs would eliminate Grizz before they face GS. Having a HCA is a big deal in the playoffs for a seven game series.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

NBA and REFS will make sure they at least get to the Championship round

Rocket River

Pen15clubber likes this.
  4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The warriors are very good.

5. Chamillionaire

The Warriors are very good.

6. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Steph curry can pick up a pencil with his buttcheeks

7. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

The Warriors neutered the Rockets (sans Anderson and Nene) last night. 2 more games against them during the same week. Hopefully we're healthy and prepared by then.

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

9. BackdoorHarden

The Warriors are very good.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

"With Kevin Durant's backing, Stephen Curry finds groove"

OAKLAND, Calif. -- There has been something a little off with Stephen Curry this season.

His numbers surely aren't anything to be ashamed of, considering that he's playing with four All-Stars, but that electrifying zest from a season ago hasn't been present on a consistent basis.

Shots he usually makes and acrobatic layups he typically pulls off have repeatedly and unexpectedly come up short far too often this season.

Golden State Warriors coach Steve Kerr acknowledged part of the issue was Curry trying too hard to incorporate Kevin Durant into the offensive fold.

Even though this is Durant's first season with the Warriors, Durant also noticed Curry wasn't himself in the first 30 or so games.

It prompted Durant to engage in a series of routine chats with Curry over the next few weeks. These conversations took place at practices, games and while away from the game. Durant's message was direct and simple: Get back to being yourself, and I'll adapt.

"I just said to him, 'Don't worry about me,'" Durant told ESPN of his ongoing dialogue with Curry. "I said, 'Just play your game. I'll figure it out. I'll figure it out around you. You're the engine of this team, and I know that. I'm not trying to come over and feel like everything just revolves around me. Just do you, man. I'm going to play around you. I've played this game long enough. I know how to score. I know how to find the ball. Just go out there and play your game.' And that's what he's been doing."

On Saturday, Kerr said he read something online recently in which the writer asked, "Is Steph gonna Steph?"

Curry torched the Los Angeles Clippers for 43 points on 15 of 23 shooting -- 9-of-15 from long distance -- and added nine rebounds and six assists in 29 minutes on Saturday. Golden State won handily 144-98 at Oracle Arena. Curry did not play in the fourth quarter.

"Whatever [Steph gonna Steph] means, I think that's what happened," Kerr said.

The back-to-back MVP was back at his cheat-code, video-game-playing self that was reminiscent of his 2015-16 campaign. When he let it fly against the Clippers, the ball found the bottom of the net. It got to the point where you knew that once the ball left his hands, three more points would automatically be added.

He even launched a 51-foot half-court shot that beat the buzzer to end the first half. It was his first 40-plus-foot jumper of the season. He made four of them last season.

Curry wasn't overthinking the game. That zestfulness was back. He danced all evening following the swishing of his treys. He was just being himself, doing exactly what Durant has been asking of him.

"For lack of a better term, he said I need to get in my bag and be aggressive," Curry told ESPN of Durant's message. "That back-and-forth dialogue is where you build chemistry and camaraderie to get through the season. You understand what each other needs to hear. It was not a come-to-Jesus meeting; it's just being locked in, observing what's going on and having each other's back. You need that encouragement along the way."

Curry said Durant didn't have to reach out and encourage him, but he's glad he did.

"It didn't hurt," Curry said to ESPN. "I feel like I'm self-motivated enough to figure it out; but along the way, if you get in your own head, you need an outside perspective of what other people see, especially a guy that invests a lot in the game, just like I do. It didn't hurt, for sure. That's what we're going to need going forward, as well."

Durant has been careful about not stepping on toes. He said adaptability is one of his greatest traits. He wants his teammates to play to their strengths, and if anyone must sacrifice, he's willing to do so.

Durant has seen enough sacrificing from Curry, and he's going to continuously urge his point guard to just be "Steph."

"I think the whole season, he's been having an impact on the game that is kind of different from last year, where he maybe made 10 or 11 3s in the game. But this year, he's still making the right plays in pick-and-roll, drawing three or four guys and kicking out," Durant said to ESPN. "But then tonight, you see he gets hot so quick, and that's not a coincidence. That's just from him playing the right way. I want him to be himself."

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

When KD says Curry has no ego, one thing comes to mind: Westbrook.

I don't believe he's trying to overtly or subtily poke WB, but it reveals why he left OKC. The last couple of years, WB's ego went to another level and I think it bothered him to be considered the sidekick to KD. There were times last season where OKC's offense was so beautiful and efficient it was mind-blowing. (Billy Donovan is a very good coach). But WB refused to stick with the script. It made me angry as a KD fan and it ticked off KD enough he bolted.

Presti should have fired Bonehead a year or two sooner. He waited too long.

12. BackdoorHarden

Seth and Steph are shooting exactly .421 from 3's

Do twilight zone music

Stephen Curry, PG

GS 48 33.4 25.3 8.5-17.8 .475 4.1-9.9 .421

Seth Curry, SG DAL 45 27.6 11.5 4.4-9.5 .465 1.8-4.3 .421

13. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Steph likely sucks again in the NBA finals vs the Cavs. Do not be too excited for Steph shooting right now if you are the GS fans, Durant is likely a saver for you if you want to win a title this year.

14. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

They both suck

swyyyguy likes this.
  15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

----------------------------------------------
    Bulls Shutdown Durant-less Warriors

Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson combined to go 3-of-22 from beyond arc.
    Golden State looked hesitant, confused first game without Kevin Durant.

[​IMG]Chris Haynes, ESPN Staff Writer
    ----------------------------------------------
    dayum....Durant did neuter Curry.
    My cat looked "hesitant and confused" after I neutered him, too

BigMaloe likes this.
  16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He's been such a big part of the offense this year, they've forgotten how to run their offense without him, and he is their best defender now.

They would have been fine without adding him, but now that he's been fully incorporated (and other guys removed), it's gonna be hard to function well without him. And when he comes back, it's gonna take a minute to re-incorporate him, and that may leave them vulnerable.

BigMaloe likes this.
  17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah and I could also easily see them reel off 15 wins in a row after losing these 2 also. Curry, Thompson, and Draymond are that freakin good.

BigMaloe likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i could also see more injury to warriors

BigMaloe likes this.
  19. Mr Chuck Norris

Klay sucks

BigMaloe likes this.
  20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Still early but curry looks pretty neutered.

More like...

Steph DEFER-RY!!

am I rite?

Man and Daddy Long Legs like this.