1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has anyone regretted buying a car?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheRealist137, Sep 20, 2017.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I recently purchased a new car and am getting some buyers remorse as I am thinking that I should have purchased a different car. Unfortunately though I am locked in to my car and if I decided to sell it I would lose at least a few thousand bucks. Not sure what I can do other than just suck it up and deal with it. At some point I'll eventually get over it I'm sure but man it sucks to know that you are locked into a purchase like this.

2. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

3. hvic

hvic Member

do what I did and push the car into my brother. What car did you purchase if you don't mind me asking

4. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Make about a year worth of payments, keep the miles low and then trade it off. You shouldn't be so upside down at that point especially if you throw an extra hundred on top of your regular payment every month.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't regret buying my Colorado but I don't even use its truck ability enough to justify buying it over something else (a sedan, for example).

It's great to have a truck when I need it but I rarely need it. Plus the cab isn't the biggest (and I'm tall) so it'll be really snug when I have to put in a second car seat. I figure there's probably some sedan with big cabin space and trunk that suits my needs better.

Oh well. Still have a year before it's paid off. I still like it overall and don't regret it, but I think I could have made a more practical choice. I'm glad I talked myself out of the WRX and bought the Colorado instead.

6. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

I bought an Audi A5 a few years ago and regretted it.

It was fine at first but the 2 door thing got old quick and then the car started having electrical issues that was fixed because the car was still under warranty but made me realize I need to resell this car quick (to Texas Direct Auto, got the most money) instead of keep paying car notes to a car you don't want long term.

7. marky :)

marky :) Member

This.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Unfortunately this is my only car and it's a commuter car. I am going to drive it a lot to/from work. There's no way I can keep the mileage low during that year.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Hyundai Elantra

10. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

The more appropriate title is has anyone not bought at least one car they ended up regretting.

Happens to everyone, next time buy used so your not upside down immediately

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So what. That means you are gaining a lot of utility out of it, well worth the minor loss in value for first year miles.

The point is: keep it in top notch, like new condition. Then trade in after a year. Many people do this. I know several ppl who always want the latest car, so they always trade in after a year. They view it as cars are just expenses, not investments, so get used to a payment and then always have the latest.

You're just doing it once.

TheRealist137 likes this.
  12. CCorn

CCorn Member

Right out of college I leased a fully loaded Lincoln MKZ. 15k miles/yr.

Ended up taking an outside sales job that required me to drive about 40k miles a year. Long story short for 2 years I was paying for my mother to drive that Lincoln.

13. hvic

hvic Member

the WRX is a fun car to drive

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't by American or German car because of reliability issues but I tend to own my cars for more than three years

15. Sajan

Sajan Member

you never said why you regret the car? how did you decide on that car?

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

because as a commuter car it's the slowest and most boring to drive. other cars within that segment (civic turbo, mazda 3) are much sportier.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I keep one car ( Mazda 6 ) for regular day to day driving and long distance hauls. And then another one for luxury weekend cruising.

I think if you plan to put miles, an economic car like Toyota or Honda is the way to go for daily use.

swyyyguy likes this.
  18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

We just going to ignore @hvic running over his brother with his car?

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Everybody goes through this, really.

Never buy used. If new, cool cars are just things you HAVE to have, might as well lease. Unless you're loaded. Then do whatever you want.

Sajan likes this.
  20. marky :)

marky :) Member

Honestly if its just a commuter car just keep it then.

Had a WRX as a commuter car and driving stick + sportier suspension gets old real quick in Houston traffic. Rather have a mid sized econobox to commute in

Falcons Talon and Sajan like this.