1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has anybody seen The Patriot?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by grummett, Jul 3, 2000.

1. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

From everything I've seen and read, this looks like my kind of movie. My problem is that I live an hour away from a state-of-the-art screen which I think would be a must for this picture. oeilpere says he's seen it. Anybody else? Any feedback is appreciated.

------------------

2. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

My friend saw it and said it was great. The user rating at imdb.com is pretty high too.

------------------
    I AM SPARTACUS

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Very good summer movie.

I can't believe those damn French thought it was their job to "police" the world though. They should've just stayed at home.

------------------
    Just because you're white and play basketball doesn't mean you're a Matt Bullard clone, despite idiotic accusations to the contrary.

visit www.swirve.com

4. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Another 2 thumbs up. This was an excellent movie. Mel Gibson is a great actor and really earns his paycheck (all $25 million of it)...

To me the best movies of the summer have been 1) Gladiator (Russel Crowe has arrived as A list actor) 2) Patriot (A Mel Gibson classic) 3) Mission Impossible 2 (John Woo at his best). Can't wait to add all three to the DVD collection.

Space Ghost - I am just as confused as you are in how the Perfect Storm made more money than the Patriot. To me there is no comparison. The Perfect Storm sucked compared to the Patriot. In

I could not believe that the Patriot was 3 hours. I did not feel it at all. Great acting. I loved the scene where Gibson's youngest daughter said her first words to her dad. Talk about pulling at the heartstrings...

I am not sure if anyone else saw the previews of this new movie coming out in December called Vertical Limit. Man that movie looks awesome... Saw some other cool previews in Hollow Man with Kevin Bacon and X-Men...

------------------
    Vice President of the Austin Croshere fan club.

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

A definate kick-ass movie ... and I got to see it on a state-of-the-art screen. Plenty of blood and guts, some parts predictable, some not.(most movies are predictable)
    Now I do NOT see how the Perfect Storm topped this movie. At the end of PS, i was just sitting there at the end, waiting for more to happen. I guess I was suprised it ended so quick.
    I was reading up on the American Revolutionary War and The Patriot gives you some realistic views on how horrible the British really were when it came to killing the unarmed, innocent, familes, and other details we tend to forget on war.

------------------

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I thought There was a Steve Segal Movie called The Patriot

------------------
    Will Work for Clutch 101 Book

7. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

Trust me, I will never come on this board asking about a Steven Seagal movie.

------------------

8. PhiSlammaJamma

I saw it last night and give it two thumbs up. I had my doubts going in, but for the most part, it was a solid movie. I like how the war moves into their backyards. Interesting personal conflicts within each character. Some amazing graphic scense that make you quiver. check it out!

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

9. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I haven't seen either one yet. My wife wants to see "Perfect Storm", but I'm not sold on it just yet. I looked on Yahoo.com and the user rating was 3.3 out of 5.

I do however like Mel Gibson, but I'm not 100% sure "The Patriot" is my kind of movie. Yahoo user rating was 4.2 out of five for this one.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Spike Lee sure didn't like it. He wrote a letter to a newspaper or magazine (I can't remember) criticizing the film for glossing over slavery, and for convienently making Mel Gibson's character not a slave owner.

To tell you the truth, I was thinking the same thing, but it wasn't that kind of movie. If it hadn't been an action movie, I'd echo his sentiments.

------------------
    Just because you're white and play basketball doesn't mean you're a Matt Bullard clone, despite idiotic accusations to the contrary.

visit www.swirve.com

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I CAN NOT stand Spike Lee. The Patriot was NOT about slavery. It was about the revolutionary war and this idiot brings up something about there not being enough slaves.
    He is the most racist fool out there. How is a nation suppose to get over racism when you have a guy like this critizing that the blacks are not getting enough respect at every opportunity that comes across.
    None of us are slaves or slave owners, so get over it ... it was a 150 years ago. Nobody owes no one anything. If he wants to cry about slavery, why doesn't he put his energies to the slaves in south america or the sweat shops in asia!? Get a life and quit spreading more hate!

------------------