1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has anybody checked out James Harden's Similarity Scores on his Basketball Reference page

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardenVolumeOne, Jul 25, 2020.

1. HardenVolumeOne

Ok I just stumbled on this statistic called “similarity score” on basketball reference. You can find this section under each and nba players basketball reference page that have at least 5 years of NBA service time

I noticed that James Harden has career matches to Oscar Robertson, Michael Jordan, Jerry West, and John Stockton for his career. It’s crazy how Harden is only 30 and has these matches already. Now im not sure what similarity score means or details, but i was going through some of the veteran stars of today, and outside of LeBron and CP3 Harden similarity scores to the past great are insane. I also looked at the similarity scores from the legends of the past like MJ, Jerry West, and Magic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If the images come out a bit blurry, its because i couldnt find a smaller tool to use to zoom it in. But intresting discovery none the less

D-rock, TimDuncanDonaut and Clutch like this.
  2. TimDuncanDonaut

"Oscar Robertson, Michael Jordan, Jerry West, and John Stockton" - not a bad company to be with. Just sayin'

Remlap, BigShasta, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he's like 5th in mvp ranking at best. needs to work his way up to luka level first
    #neverbeardo

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden is a legend, and that is fact, not opinion

1 title and he’s top 20 all-time EASY and is at worst the 3rd best SG of all-time, no debate

2 titles? Let’s just say the Harden haters will be on suicide watch. 2 titles and we are talking top 10-15 all-time AT WORST.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

this thread got me thinking about how OKC committed a basketball crime of the highest order breaking up that young core

scoring leaders since 2010: KD, KD, KD, Melo, KD, Westbrook, Steph, Westbrook, Harden, Harden, Harden

How many teams in history could say they had a greater collection of pure talent? Ibaka was also the best shot blocker in the NBA back then. Insane.

6. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Here is what I want you to do. Go to wikipedia and search up salary cap.

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

U do know they easily could’ve kept Harden right? Maybe u should go on Google and see how they could’ve done so.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Perkins is the reason for Harden not being inOKC

Remlap, D-rock and Patience like this.
  9. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

It's not a basketball crime, because You don't give up the best shot blocker in the NBA for a guy that's on your bench that provides the same thing as KD and Westbrook.

Harden could never be harden when he had those two on his team.

Shot blockers and rim protectors are very very important if you want to win a championship.

look at the teams we've lost to since teams figured out our small ball and you'll realize that.

Thus, it wasn't a basketball crime.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

u still don’t understand

they could’ve just amnestied Perkins who was garbage and immediately free up the money needed to retain Harden...they could’ve kept Harden for the final year of his rookie deal and see what the financial landscape was like the following offseason when Harden would be a restricted free agent...they did not have to trade him, period

it never had to be a decision between Ibaka or Harden

Why are u trying to speak with authority on this subject when u don’t even know these simple facts? You’re telling me to go on Wikipedia and read about the salary cap when I probably know far more about the cap than u? Hilarious. Please have a seat.

Patience, MorningZippo and D-rock like this.
  11. solodolo11

solodolo11 Member

Sam Presti is that you?

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I would ranking him 20-25 right now all time without any ring. He's above people like AI but right below people like Wade.

13. Caprah

Caprah Member

Remember when fchowder and his fellow lin trolls were advocating lin should be running the team instead of harden ? Good time’s

Astrodome and D-rock like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They would have had to part with Ibaka eventually to keep Harden. Or maybe even Westbrook.

That was how the ball rolls.

The Oladipo and Sabonis giveaways also stung a little.

Paul George was nice but couldn't carry a team offensively for multiple seasons, he is no Durant.

Kept Reggie Jackson too long.

#14 daywalker02, Jul 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Thing Harden was easily the best ball handler among those 3 (WB and KD)

Allstar ball handlers are harder to get, and maybe only to trade for someone like a Dirk or Durant, a god shooter with height.

Harden's midrange game would have flourished with OKC.

It is not a crime but a mistake.

#15 daywalker02, Jul 26, 2020
    fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

They would have had to part with them based on what?

OKC would’ve made many more finals appearances with that trio. They haven’t been back since.

Patience and D-rock like this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

I would rank him the same as well...all he needs is 1 title to blow past Wade

if he wins 1 title, he should be above both Steph and Durant as well

fchowd0311 likes this.
  18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

D-rock, Deckard and vlaurelio like this.
  19. Mr. Space City

If only Chris Paul’s hamstring didn’t fall off the bone....

Remlap and D-rock like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Based on max contracts. I think their market was just not made to keep them all. Likely just 2 out of 3.

(I am not sure if you follow soccer but Leicester City (a smaller club) couldn't hold Mahrez who wasn't even in Harden's ballpark if he were a soccer player.......and let him go to Manchester City after winning a championship)

They signed larger contracts at different times.

The notion was also that at that point in time (They were 23) they weren't going to accept paycuts or salary cuts.

They likely exceeded what a small market could afford any way.

(Opposed to Durant who took one to hop on that championship party bus because he got enough on his plate not winning it all on his own)

NBA GMs have this notion that they rather trade you than let you walk in free agency.

I surely do not pretend to know how hard it is for a smaller market to keep their stars long term.

#20 daywalker02, Jul 26, 2020