1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harvey Recovery and Cleanup

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck Turgidson, Aug 27, 2017.

1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Helped cleanup/demolish two homes in the Meyerland area yday. That area was badly affected. We pulled out so much of the house, all the dry wall, the dish washer, stove tops, pretty much everything

Painful to do and see what homeowners are going through there

2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I've been helping demo homes, pass out supplies and food in lower income homes of the Woodlands/Conroe areas. These people like so many, have lost everything they owned, it's heartbreaking. We have an amazing group and an outpouring of support from all over. We've done a lot of great work, but I still feel like it's not enough.

There is so much left to do and the people that are affected have a long road ahead. I encourage all of you who have helped to keep going. For those who have not, try to get out there to see if there is anything you can do. Any amount of time given is needed and appreciated.

eric.81, heypartner, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  3. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Flesh eating bacteria are real, bro.

Contaminated water likely contains nasty bacteria that are looking for an entry point in our bodies (e.g. cuts). It is for that reason that if someone gets tats, that they should avoid water to that particular area for some time until the skin fully heals.

I used to think that infections were minor setbacks easily treated by antibiotics. That is no longer the case. I have seen small foot infections progress to sepsis to death.

Wear goggles, masks, be fully clothed. I understand the need to remove and repair a home -- just be extra careful.

DonKnock likes this.
  4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

The biggest commodity right now is manpower. I've helped with five houses in four days. Today's was a 1950's house, three layers of floor and 2-3 layers of walls that needed to go. I am beat. zzzzzzzzz

5. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Salute to all you guys. I know the people you helped are grateful beyond our comprehension.

I'll certainly be back out tomorrow.

Hakeemtheking, B-Bob and DudeWah like this.
  6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Just got home from another day. Today was totally different...We fed over 1000 people today. We had so many people turn out and donate food, water, Gatorade, toiletries, air mattresses, cleaning supplies, diapers, clothing, you name it, if it was a necessity we probably had it. It was nothing short of amazing to experience. I cannot begin to tell you how much was done by so many today.

We supplied these things for a very low income area. Seeing these people literally brought me to tears. I saw infants walking around with no clothes on. Homes completely destroyed, but people living in them because that's all they have. These homes should not be lived in, but the families have absolutely no money or means to be somewhere else. Today I know we made a huge difference and these people were beyond appreciative. Still, there is so much to be done and I'll never feel like it's enough.

So much love from so many people. I just want to say that I appreciate everyone of you that is making a difference. Just a little time goes such a long way.

People, we all need each other. Whatever race, gender, political affiliation, it just doesn't matter. We. Need. One. Another.

Love one another and look out for your brothers and sisters.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just unloaded my truck and trailer at GRB. I'm going to start heading back up north. Impressive operation at GRB

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

No problem. I'm going to head north and get a head start on the drive back

9. VanityHalfBlack

Anyone know any shelters/donation drive in Alief? Would like to bring food, thank you.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Sounds like a lot of these houses just pulling up floor and drywall actually need to be razed. Is this accurate or are the homes still worth salvaging?

11. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Still worth something. The studs would have to be rotted to the point that they curve to need to be completely bulldozed

BigShasta and FTW Rockets FTW like this.
  12. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Appreciate all of you helping out. We couldn't have gotten as far as we have without friends and family helping us out. The rest of our street was pretty much all volunteers though. It was great. I could barely go outside without being offered help or food.

Hakeemtheking, ferrari77 and DonKnock like this.
  13. Sajan

Sajan Member

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Made it back to Minneapolis yesterday after a Cannonball Run to Texas. Planning the next steps to help out and most likely won't do another toiletries drive. Am going to focus on rebuilding and looking to get tools, drywall, and other construction materials donated. Will probably plan on putting together a rebuilding trip with volunteers. It looks like Houston is well on the way to recovery so would like to focus on the areas along the coast where Harvey landed and East of Houston flooded in the second landing. Keep posting what's going on with recovery. I am interested in partnering with other clutchfans and welcome help and advice on my own efforts.

Hakeemtheking and ferrari77 like this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I haven't seen a lot of news out of the poorer parts of Houston like the Third and Fourth Wards. Does anyone know what's going on with the recovery efforts there?

16. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

yeah, that aint happening at all. we had a trash pile 10 feet high in my moms front yard. its totally unreasonable to expect people to separate stuff out like that. we were in a mad dash to get s*** out as quick as possible and dump it wherever we could.

i just got home after spending five days busting my ass...ankle deep in poop water, breathing in black mold, drywall dust and fiberglass. nastiest week of my life. the smell was awful.

anyone out in that stuff should get shots ASAP. i got all kinds of cuts on me while working. im going in tomorrow. tetanus, hepatitis A (two rounds) and B (three rounds). my sisters brother-in-law is a firefighter and he said to go get it done...dont take any chances yall!

#96 jo mama, Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  17. jo mama

we took my mom and bros house down to the 2x4's. found a lot of it damaged by termites at my moms. that will need to be replaced, but i think re-modelers can actually spray that stuff with something that will either kill or seal up any mold growth.

we actually talked to a city inspector about a house that was already a disgusting hoarder house. it needs to come down, but the only way they can condemn a property is if the exterior is structurally unsound...doesnt matter how bad the interior is.

KingCheetah likes this.
  18. jo mama

yeah, had some friends who helped out, some cousins and a bunch of my brothers friends...without them we would still be pulling crap out of the houses.

i appreciated all the food...burgers, bbq, sandwiches, hot wings. you get so into the zone when working...it was nice to not have to leave the jobsite to go get food.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

A friend of mine is getting unreliable info from his mortgage company about disaster relief on his payments. They've set it up where he doesn't have to pay until 11/25, but isn't sure if a) he needs to stay up to date on insurance/taxes and b) if on 11/25, he owes the payments he missed or does he just pick up where he left off.

Any thoughts?

20. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

I've heard that the payments are typically tacked on to the back end. Don't know for certain though.

Rocketman95 likes this.