1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hartenstein has shown great improvement on defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Nov 5, 2018.

1. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

This thread was originally posted on a Chinese forum called Hoopchina and I am just translating the work.

https://bbs.hupu.com/24248137.html

Hartenstein has received a lot of criticism on his defense lately. Sure, he did have a lot of lapses in the first few games, but is it still the case in the last couple of games? I've captured all of his defensive possessions in the Bulls game for your reference.

In the first quarter, Hartenstein got switched on a LaVine and got blown by but was still long enough to block the shot with the help of Clark.

[​IMG]

In the next possession, Hartenstein made a great contest on Justin Holiday's shot.

[​IMG]

Great block by Hartenstein. Ball went out of bounds off Felicio's body. Rockets ball.

[​IMG]

Payne got past Hartenstein but Clark's help defense was once again on point and Payne lost balance.

[​IMG]

LaVine tried to bully Hartenstein with his quickness. But Hartenstein stayed focused and held his own. LaVine eventually had to put up a contested shot.

[​IMG]

Hartenstein stayed in front of Payne and forced the turnover.

[​IMG]

This time LaVine used an array of moves but Hartenstein maintained his position the whole time and avoided contact when LaVine tried to draw the foul with a pump fake.

[​IMG]

Hartenstein has showed great improvement on defense compared to his first few games, both in footwork and use of body. The help defense of his teammates, especially Clark's, was also fantastic. Overall, opponents went 1 for 8, which is 12.5%, when guarded by Hartenstein.

#1 ashleyem, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    Mazulis, Deckard, whiskeyred and 25 others like this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Good!

Rocket River

whiskeyred and Tfor3 like this.
  3. Moleb

Moleb Member

I beg to differ, but you do have statistics which are hard to deny. I'm still skeptical.

napalm06, Sean Dr34ms and D-rock like this.
  4. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

I still see a VERY slow legs there... much room to improve...
    I know, its too much asking him to be as quick as Capela, but in a switching system you need to be as fast as possible.

joshuaao and HP3 like this.
  5. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

His feet didn't even move in one of those gifs. Lol. Nah he's very limited and only thinking the game through can help him.

6. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Love his hustle he just needs to be more comfortable like this summer. Also he needs to dunk more. That is my biggest pet peeve just like when Yao came into the league. No reason you should be going for layups that close to the basket.

7. wesbound

wesbound Member

Good post. It's definitely improvement compared to his first few games.

8. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Seriously how many players 6'9" or above can keep up with guards?

B-Bob, Elephant810, BigMaloe and 5 others like this.
  9. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Actual height or NBA height?

Hartenstein's improvement on defense is pretty obvious, the help defense improvement was pretty obvious....to me the last obvious thing to get out of the way is to quit allowing the switch for Hartenstein to be on the ball SOOOOO much. But his effort and fairly quick feet for a 7'+ man are definitely encouraging. I mean, effort, he's almost chaotic. Frenetic energy. You can live like that when you're 20 lol... the game will slow down for him eventually but it's been a good long while since you've been able to SEE the inexperience in motion like that. Even Capela, felt like he knew his groove and just couldn't physically stay in there. The fire Hartenstein is playing with to will that big, lanky frame into a competent wing defender is worthy of appreciation. Now if they could get him an open shot or two, start rounding out the overall game and rewarding the effort...

10. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Yeah, Draymond Green is 6'7". Basically trying to say how many players can play center and keep up with the speed of guards.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The timing on his shot block/ alteration was nice to see. However he was blown by with such ease. He did recover and Clark helped him out too. He is getting better slowly, and that is the most we can expect, apart from a jumper in the near future. If Hart can secure his rebounds, along with the rest of the stuff, he can be somewhat productive.

12. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

If you are a quick guard you should blow by a 7 footer. In a switching defense you should be aware of that and plan help. But is better than having a small line up giving offensive board after offensive boards and layups after layups.

Houston defense have improve by miles since they start to keep a big man on the floor most the majority of the time

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

He crowds the guard too much at the three point line.

You cant always rely on your length to do a chase down block.

It's better to stay in front of the guard and force him to take a long 2 instead of letting him drive by you

joshuaao and Sean Dr34ms like this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I knew he would. Capela started off last season the same way.

After the season the Rockets can trade Capela and go with Hartenstein and his low cost contract.

Helps pay for Mr. Jimmy Butler and his extension.

jojolover likes this.
  15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

My friend Apache, I think Capela is slowly starting to make real progress on offense. I think he will be back to his defensive best with Coach JB. I don't think he should be traded, unless he plays poorly in the playoffs. I think he will be more than okay in the regular season. Now, if he can yield us AD along with 3- 4 1st rounders, then I will say yes. It is a remote possibility, I admit. Jimmy Butler is still needed unfortunately, and that is going to be hard to pull off.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  16. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

As other have alluded to, Hart has very slow feet.

He gets blown by far too often because he over commits on the perimeter and then looks for the block every single time.

When he’s switched onto a guard he needs to give them a little more space and stay vertical when jumping instead of going for a block.

I do like his help defense though.

joshuaao and jojolover like this.
  17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Asleyem, tell Hoopchina to watch Sabonis tonight, then compare Isaiah to him. I hope Isaiah achieves Sabonis speed on defense by the time he turns 22, too. Then again, Sabonis isn’t quite 7’, allowing him to be quicker.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

He's inconsistent... which should be expected from a rookie .

Still think he has the smarts and talent to be a good backup C for us this season .

We should keep throwing him out there . Playing small will work sometimes , but over the course of a season is a big burden on your guys in terms of having to bang against bigger guys.

19. macan

macan Member

he's definitely having a better rookie season than joe chee had

el_locoteee likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Meh okay.

The whole team has been quietly improving on defense.

I look forward to not needing to play him much.

GotGame15, BigMaloe and snowconeman22 like this.