1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hardwood Paroxysm] Clint Capela Article

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J Sizzle, Aug 12, 2015.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Tyson Chandler was playing great when he won his ring

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Nobody saw Dream becoming Dream like when he first got on UH's team. Not saying that Capela will become Dream like, but let's not make the judgment so fast. He seems to have good basketball instinct. And his FT shooting form shows that he can develop a shot.

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

Clint seems like a "Dwight-when-he-was-first-drafted" type player. Long, athletic, great on defense, but needs to work on offense.

If you compare Dwight when he first came in and the version of Clint right now, would they be on the same playing field?

4. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Has Dwight actually improved on offense that much since his rookie year? Still can't shoot at all, still can't shoot free throws, has no shooting touch & pretty lousy footwork on post moves. Anything that involves skill he pretty much sucks at. He is pretty much all athleticism with declining athleticism.

5. seeingred

seeingred Member

all big men should play soccer growing up.

(i'm just assuming that was Capela's first sport, i really have no clue).

6. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

If you think his ceiling is above Tyson Chandler, you are clearly in the minority. If he becomes Tyson Chandler, that would be awesome.

7. da_juice

da_juice Member

Even if it wasn't- odds are he had a good amount of exposure to it growing up.

8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

He's just so raw but that his raw ability allows for impact in the NBA? That's amazing.

When he converts that raw ability to instincts and knowledge, he'll be a perennial all-star. I've heard people saying he needs more weight, hell, this isn't 1990's basketball...there are no Shaqs anymore. Not to mention he's like 14 and will continue to grow naturally for another 10 years.

Let him work on defensive IQ, where to be, who to roll on, weakside help....

Then put him to work on the other side of the court workin on 10ft and in shots. Rolling hook, turn around and free throws. Don't need to have a Dream's arsenal of moves, just enough to put up a quality shot or two every game. The dunks will come. The put backs will come. 15/10/2blocks should come to this guy like oxygen.

9. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Y'all think he'll be better than Whiteside?

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

That write is legit, he did have him at 5. He wasn't just saying that.

A 2014 draft article:

http://basketball.realgm.com/article/233951/Lerouxs-2014-NBA-Draft-Review

Rockets: Clint Capela was No. 5 on my board and went 25th, which is absolutely incredible. He could be a nice fit with this core long-term. He can block shots and rebound and did so already in Europe. In a draft piece that did not run, I chose Houston as the best fit for Nick Johnson because his ideal role is defending opposing point guards next to a ballhandling wing in an uptempo sysyem. The Rockets have tons of point guards, but Johnson could be there long-term.

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

Defensively, I don't see Capela becoming Tyson Chandler.

Offensively, I don't see Capela becoming Tyson Chandler, either, because it takes a decidedly mediocre offensive player to average nearly 30 mpg for his career, yet also average less than 9 points per game.

Seriously, based on his playoff performances, Capela would absolutely average 9 ppg next year if here were given 30 mpg. As it is, he'll likely get 15-20 mpg, but he'll still be better offensively than Chandler.

12. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Doubt he averages that much, at the 5 against some centers he will get pushed around and not impact the glass. More like 10-15 minutes.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I was so bummed when we didn't trade that pick. I remember thinking, "why the hell do we need another developmental prospect? We are in win now mode!"

But Morey continues to prove that he's got a great eye for talent, and no one has more success in the mid to late part of the draft (save for RC Buford).

Excited to see a full season out of Capela.

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

ive said it before, he will be better than dwight by the end of dwight's contract.

unfortunately, i think dwight knows this and will opt out early in order to get a new contract.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He did play soccer while growing up.

16. bmd

bmd Member

He has shown he has a nice touch around the basket.

He has the coordination and speed with his feet.

He has the tools to build a nice offensive game. He has much more potential offensively than Tyson Chandler ever did.

He's got the ability... it all comes down to how much he works into translating that ability into skills which will lead to him scoring points.

17. da_juice

da_juice Member

In that case, we should extend Capela sooner rather than later.

18. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I thought this was stash pick so we could go after Bosh. I was ok with that but kind of bummed when Bosh bailed and we spent the pick getting the best Euro player available instead of the best player available. I don't know if there was a difference now.

I know he's raw and I'm still holding down my expectations because of his lack of experience but I am getting more excited to see him get some playing time.

19. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

What's all this talk about Tyson Chanlder? Offensively he will be miles better. This kid has legit star potential

20. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Small sample size, but a good one, in the WCF where he played without fear or intimidation.

We need to see him play around 20-25 mins a game this season and we'll soon know what we have. Very real chance Dwight misses plenty of games on those gimpy wheels, so he will get his chances. As long as McHale realises he can play and belongs in the rotation ahead of Chuck Hayes (no disrespect to the Chuckwagon)