1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hardwood Paroxysm] Clint Capela Article

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J Sizzle, Aug 12, 2015.

1. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

His perimeter D is Bev-like with Great length. Imagine if he improves his ft's, jumper & post play...

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Morey continues to impress with later picks.

Or as some here would put it... That clueless stat freak got lucky. Again.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I remember this play specifically. I felt bad for him when that little gremlin's shot went in. But he made a name for himself there.

4. Rokman

Rokman Member

How the HELL was he keeping up with Curry??? :eek:

I watched that gif 10 times in a row and it seems unreal... Not to mention that shot! Curry is a beast!

5. Handles

Handles Member

Super excited about this guy. He is truly a special player.

6. dream2franchise

There was a play in the GS series where he caught a long ball by his finger tips, keeping the ball high while balancing ever so gracefully to lay it in.

This guy isn't some roller/dunker. He's more special than that and I hope he reaches his potential.

Great hands, great feet and a great feel for the game already.

7. GMNot

GMNot Member

Yes, I think we all perk up when Capela goes into the game because of his potential. His speed at his size is what gets you on the edge of your seat. And that part of his skills he shares with Hakeem. Howard is pretty quick in the paint and that is a large part of his success as a rim protector.

I'm hoping he has been working with Hakeem some during the off-season and getting some time against other NBA players that may be passing through Houston and playing pickup games here. Moses Malone did a lot to mature Hakeem and the same can happen if Clint gets time against quality NBA players in that kind of setting. Hakeem sought it out. Capela should do the same.

Hopefully, his enthusiasm for developing and soaking up all he can find has led to some sort of intensive work in the off-season. Someone (trainer, assistant coach, etc.) should have been assigned to work with him as much as possible during the off-season, with pertinent breaks. (We don't want him burned out or worn out before the season even starts. I don't care how much of a gym rat one is, too much is not good.) I think his peak will be limited by his own mental ceiling. As long as he thinks he can improve, he will.

The one thing I don't know if I've seen is a fire. We haven't seen enough minutes. Hakeem definitely had one. That will be something to watch for this next season. I think it's there.

8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Capela becomes the perfect 4 if he can learn a 15-18 foot jumper.

That would be some insane paint defense.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He checked Curry a couple of times. I think he missed once.

10. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Their talking about his defensive but his offensive potential is what is special to me. Sure we have all seen the dunks but those soft lay ups and nice shoot stroke could make him special.

11. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I still don't think he will ever be a legit 3rd star like let's say Serge Ibaka, but I think the odds are in his favor for him to be a very good role player at least. I'm still not sold on him on the offensive side of the ball - seems like a bit of a liability. Part of why he was successful finishing this past year was defenders made him the last priority but let's see how that changes when teams pay more attention to him when he is anywhere near the paint. He still needs to learn when the defense is looking the other way so he can get those Carl Landry style slip in from the baseline dunks. He needs a better shot too obviously if he wants to be a long term starter...but defensively, I like him a lot.

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

What I can't figure out is why jopataholic was advocating trading him for a 2nd round pick in his newsletter recently (premium edition).

2 people like this.
  13. Newlin

Newlin Member

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

Ibaka and Capela aren't similar other than their shot blocking. Comparing the two really isn't appropriate.

Capela's game is most similar to.......Dwight Howard.

Defensive Similarities
    - Rim protection
    - Rebounding

Defensive Differences
    - Dwight is a far superior post defender
    - Capela is more comfortable than Dwight switching on the perimeter

Offensive Similarities
    - PnR finishing
    - Put backs

I don't think Capela has Prime Dwights vertical, but he probably has quicker feet. Capela is in a perfect situation for his development.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

The guy you describe may be the 3rd best player but that only happens on a team like the Rockets or Clippers wherein they have 2 superstars already. Look at De Andre Jordan, he's technically their 3rd best player but he was also the difference between contender and lottery/fighting for 8th spot.

16. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I was comparing them more based on 3rd banana PFs in the league. I recognize their offensive games couldn't be more different.

17. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Clint Capela > Shawn Bradley

18. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

He is my favorite person in the world EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Nook

Nook Member

Uhh no.... he won't be great.

If he turns into a Tyson Chandler clone, he will have developed into a very good basketball player.

20. noppeper

noppeper Member

If this guy stays healthy, and continues to show the drive that has allowed him to quickly adjust and succeed around better competition, he could be a monster. Otherwise, his "ceiling" being a Tyson Chandler would still be pretty darn good.