1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden vs History: Greatest scoring season ever? Stats

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Feb 13, 2019.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

For non twitter users:

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If we want to take it back to include the 35 Club, it's still true for *EVERY* stat except FTAs
    • Rick Barry had 10.9 FTAs, but less efficient across the board on more shots, minutes, less assists
    • Kobe Bryant had 10.2 FTAs, but less efficient across the board on more shots, minutes, less assists
    • Michael Jordan had 10.5 FTAs, but less efficient across the board on more shots, minutes, less assists
    Basically, the *only* difference in FTAs is that Harden gets fouled from 3pt line more, so he gets 3 v 2, but not indicative of more foul trips.

#2 heypartner, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  3. justtxyank

Thanks for adding that.

It's not really "fair" to compare him to a lot of the older players because of the 3 point line, but it's still interesting statistical information. It's especially valuable, to me, because of the "free throws" narrative that dogs him constantly when other historically great scores don't deal with that issue.

4. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Amazing! Thanks for sharing. I'm blown by the fact that Wilt averaged 48 MP in a season with 50% FG. Didn't they play 80-82 games in 1961-1962? How is that even humanly possible?

5. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

He wasn’t human.;)

SemisolidSnake, Riz and justtxyank like this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

f*cking D'Antoni never rests anyone

Deckard and justtxyank like this.
  7. justtxyank

[​IMG]

Os Trigonum likes this.
  8. kevtse

kevtse Member

Why should we care? As a Rockets fan I only care about Ws, and if we can win the champ.

9. justtxyank

That's cool. Some of us enjoy the game and enjoy discussing what's going on. If all you care about is wins and the championship you can stick to checking the score at the end of the night.

I've never understood this mindsiet. What a miserable way to be a fan if you can't appreciate the greatness you see in front of you and only enjoy the win.

Blurr#7 and topfive like this.
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Where's the threshold then? At what point does he stop being efficient and what's the peak ppg? 45? 50? 55? O lawd.

justtxyank likes this.
  11. justtxyank

Would be a fun experiment.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I posted a link to these stats in the Harden PPG watch.

I wish ESPN would do a statistical analysis on Harden's scoring like this to shut the haters up.

justtxyank likes this.
  13. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

That will never happen they are the main hater.

14. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

This is true, but Wilt didn't win the championship that year he averaged 50 ppg, but is still celebrated as a great accomplishment. Meh, it's something I think.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Story coming from Feigen on this stuff on Friday.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I keep being confronted with having to give you "likes," @justtxyank. You keep posting things I agree with! This is one of them, of course. I'm at a loss to understand the misery that some of the fans of the Rockets put on display here so frequently. As you point out, we are witnessing history being made by one of the greatest players ever to suit up for the Rockets, and the team first got on my radar when they drafted Elvin Hayes #1 in the 1968 draft (yeah, when I wasn't going to concerts and other hippie stuff back then). Hayes was Rookie of the Year, putting up astonishing stats and playing what would today be considered incredible minutes. 45 minutes per game for 82 games while putting up 28/17 (they didn't keep stats on blocks back then).

Crazy numbers. Well, Harden is putting up mind boggling numbers himself and doing things no shooting guard in the history of the NBA has ever done before. Yes, the ups and downs this season have been maddening, as has the disappointment with who was added before the season, who we may have hoped to get at the deadline, but didn't, as well as the struggles of key players like PJ. Despite that, why can't fans find joy in what James Harden is doing? Some seem more intent on finding fault with the team and the organization than finding pleasure in the good things that have been happening. Besides James, Capela has taken a big step forward with his game and will return after the break. Faried has been a heck of a surprise, and while Rivers has been struggling for a while, he helped us early when we needed him the most and I'm hopeful that he'll come around given time. Stuff like that.

If I want to get depressed, I can turn on the news. ;-)

justtxyank likes this.
  17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

harden literally needs to be at wilt's level for the rockets to win the champ