1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden to Morey: Get me help at guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, May 29, 2015.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah definitely can't trade Dwight, that'd be so bad for future star players to ever sign here. I mean if pg doesn't happen this year, the next year will be even easier (cap and could go over and then resign dwight if he opted out). Yes, it sucks to wait but this team is pretty damn close to winning.

2. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

CJ McCollum?

I honestly want to keep the core together. The core being Harden, Howard, Ariza.

We really don't have any room if we intend to sign Brewer, Smith, and KJ.

I think we should make a deal for CJ McCollum, I am not even sure if he is available but I can't see him getting time if Wes Matthews comes back.

T-Jones and 2nd Round Pick for McCollum.

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I wonder how much JJ would cost? Seems like a good replacement for Prigs who is likely gone because his contract is a nice trade piece. Aaron Brooks would also be a nice replacement for Prigs.

I also wonder if Monta (if he opts out) would take a paycut and if yes could we afford him. He was the starting SG for the most prolific offense this year up until the Rondo trade. But he played alot of PG as the primary ball handler. The guy can fill up the stat sheet no doubt take some load off of Harden. I'm guessing we can't afford him but if he opts out we should definitely send a feeler.

The other big names are Dragic, Knight, Rondo, Jackson, etc... The only realistic option is maybe Jackson.

#63 ipaman, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

PG IS the priority. This team flat out does not have one. Make a major FA signing. Trade for one. Bring Llull over. Draft one. Just get one. And while your at it, get a second one. And heck, a third too.

Not so sure on the idea of Rondo though. We're already the island of broken toys. Rondo may be the perfect solution defensively and maybe even as a ball distributor. But attitude and health? Howsabout Brandon Knight?

5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Only issue I see is that he has to realistically know his injury history isn't that great (his agent definitely knows this), I mean if he signs 1 year deal and gets some serious injury he just ruined being paid.

6. photojoe

photojoe Member

Let's not get this twisted. It is not the 'team's franchise player publicly calling for a specific position to be addressed.' This does not sound like Harden going out of his way to complain about our team or his teammates. This is not Harden saying that he is a cornerstone player and everyone else is just role players. I imagine that the media will try to spin this in some way to say that Harden is selfish, that he doesn't like Beverley, and that him and Dwight don't get along (even though he didn't even mention Dwight. Because. What a headline.)

It sounds like Harden was asked a specific question by a reporter (Berman or someone else) and he answered the question. And he didn't say "yes, that is what we desperately need". He didn't say "I really need help at guard". He didn't try to blame his 13 turnovers on not having another PG. All he said was "that is one of the conversations that we are going to have, one of the pieces we need to add".

That's it. Don't take it out of context. Him and Morey 'having a conversation' about adding a better player doesn't really mean anything. It in no way is him publicly calling anyone out.

7. J Hard

J Hard Member

Too temperamental. Will become a cancer very quickly, see Dallas series with #playoffRondo

8. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Mike Conley would be the dream PG next to Harden but it's not likely.

The best option IMO ourside of buying low on Kyle Lowry is getting a legitimate sixth man scoring option. Try to sign a Mo Williams or somebody that can pressure defenses and shoot well.

When Harden is on the bench, we don't have anyone that can consistently attack the rim. Josh Smith's footwork when he attacks is just horrible, Dwight isn't good in the post and when he attacks it tends to lead to a turnover or just a missed shot.

9. photojoe

photojoe Member

I hope that this is a joke.

10. Play07

Play07 Member

this couldve been our year... morey was sleep... we had playoff howard... hope we get back to western finals next yr

11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Oh also Rondo wouldn't help our terrible free throws... **** can you imagine game 7 finals down by 1, harden passes to Rondo on the final play, Rondo gets fouled hard and hashas hit free throws... Time expires after missing both... Wahwah

12. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Not really. Rondo is cool with Dwight and Smith.

13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I agree with you to a point. D-Mo might be good enough to be the starting PF for a championship team, certainly from an offensive standpoint. The problem is defense and in particular rebounding. The Rockets got absolutely killed on the boards by the Warriors who ain't exactly loaded with size in their frontcourt. And D-Mo was a poor rebounder this season. The Rockets may have no choice but to go in a different direction if he can't improve in that area.

I do feel though that PG is a more pressing need. A secondary ballhandler and playmaker is absolutely essential for this team. We saw how bad they looked offensively all season long when Harden went to the bench. And obviously when you rely on Harden too much to make plays, you'll have the occasional nightmare game where he has a bunch of turnovers and missed shots and mentally checks out(Game 5 being the ultimate example).

14. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

We can only hope we are in the finals game 7 down one with a chance to win....

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Very true.

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I want Greivis Vasquez. He's not an all-star/elite point guard but the guy does things (shoot the 3, create shots, etc.) that can be had for a decent price.

When he started for the Hornets in 12/13:

43%/34%/81%
    14ppg/9apg/4rpg

My dream would be to get Vasquez, Mo Williams, and either Gerald Green (he's shooting >35% from 3pt) or Danny Green.

18. Play07

Play07 Member

lol people be ready to defend harden... this is actually good news for most rocket fans, harden is taking ownership and is ok with playing off ball some to help team, he just wants the team to be better

19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Shoulda just said point blank - we need somebody that can somewhat stay with Curry and at least keep a hand in his face.... and since it aint gonna be Harden - its gotta be the other guy in the backcourt.... PBev could fill that role, but prob not cost effective for what he'll prob be paid....

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Reggie Jackson would be a great choice if we can afford him. He's young, hungry, has handles, strong finisher at the rim. 3p% is weak but offset by his other attributes. After the trade, Detroit probably has no intention of losing him though. Would take a trade. He also played really well against Curry/KT in the games I watched this year.