1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden sucks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Mar 7, 2020.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

LOL, how much of his game is the 3, almost entirely that's the point people are making. He jacks up stupid ****ing 3s game after game to the level even curry would get anxious. Its like melos fadeaway midrange game level. He is beyond predictable for being such a skilled player. Not only that, his mental fortitude is laughable, as a lot of people here are finally starting to point out. The rockets are the only team in the league that jumps to "concussion" , "falling on his hand" , "dating a kardashian" excuse for mental lapses that are so hard to explain.

His brain shuts down in big moments, we know this, accept it and move on. He's an all time rocket, hes just not hakeem level heart of winner

2. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Harden’s problems start and end with smallball. I got criticized for saying it would ruin his game on this board and as usual I was right.

3. JackLordsHair66

Live by the 3 die by the 3 that’s what is happening the last 3 games for sure ... his game hast been been more and more predicated on that step back, you’d wish he would drive more when it’s not falling... his point is when and if it does fall again all will be forgiven which would be true to an extent, we wouldn’t be complaining if he was hitting the shot and we were still losing we’d just be finding something else to blame him on though (or on Mike). This whole 3 ball shooting philosophy just sucks when you have such a mediocre 3 point shooting roster. The fault does really does lie with Morey not getting better 3 point shooters if this is the only system you want to tie your fortunes to

J Sizzle likes this.
  4. JackLordsHair66

Curious how do you mean ? No outlet for the lob now ? Giving the ball to Russ more ?

5. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

But the whole point is, if he were making the 3pt like he normally does, nobody would be having a problem with the amount of 3pt shots he's taking. But because he's been shooting badly from January and because we've been losing lately, people are quick to jump on him and state he should change his own style of play when the majority of people had no problem with it before January. So for people to complain and say he's playing completely trash overall... it's just not the case at all. He's playing pretty well overall, just his 3pt shot isn't falling like it normally does.

There's no guarantees he'd be more efficient if he chose to shoot more post fade and mid-range shots to begin with. If anything, he'd probably be way less efficient and he'd probably get double teamed more often, which would result in him scoring less points and getting less assists, which would result in the Rockets winning less games. You either take away his step back 3pt game, which has been very successful for him and the Rockets for the most part.... or you ask him to start shooting way more 2pt shots and limit his 3pt shots to half what it is now, which would be a big gamble at this point. Especially when you tie it in with the amount of attention Harden gets from the other team. You can't have it both ways.

#125 aliadiere25, Mar 8, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    JackLordsHair66 likes this.
  6. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

Pretty much both points. With Capela, it allowed Harden more space, time and options. He can usually pick Capela out with an Alley-oop or he had the space for the floater when they back off to guard Capela. I think it gave Harden more space for the step back 3pt because the other team would have to worry about Capela rolling to the basket for a layup or whatever. Westbrook having the ball more definitely doesn't help Harden. Harden is a rhythm type of player. If you keep him off the ball for a bit of time, he starts to go cold and it'll affect his shot. He's obviously letting Westbrook have it more and trying to adapt to it.... but I think it's affecting his 3pt shot in the process. Not Westbrook's fault..... but it's having an impact on Harden's game, in my opinion.

#126 aliadiere25, Mar 8, 2020
  7. JackLordsHair66

Yeah makes sense and I appreciate your analysis truthfully. Not having an oop player seems to have affected his desire to drive lately, hence my assertion that he is getting called for charging more frequently and his floater and or layups seem to be getting blocked more often now with the threat of the lob being there. As for the Russ deal, without him working the interior it really does allow teams to sag out to the 3point line and guard an already weak 3 point shooting team even more closely. It just doesn’t feel like this is going to work long term as a system with these shooters ... I know we hadn’t a good run of wins there, and we did shoot well or at least average on 3s during most of i, but now we are seeing what happens when you rely on a team of avg/below avg 3 point shooters. Just feels like this is the beginning of a long slow spiral that isn’t all Hardens fault but lies more with Morey and MDA not having good enough players around Harden/Russ for this kind of system to work effectively. If only we had a guy like Brooks Lopez to run out there when Russ is resting.

I think one thing that irritates many of us “harden slaggers” is the slowness with which he gets the offense moving when it’s just him running point/SG. The constant dribbling then chuck it up w/time running out on the shot clock doesn’t irritate you ?

#127 JackLordsHair66, Mar 8, 2020
  8. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

He gotta find his swag/schwag.

lw17 and BaselineFade like this.
  9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

We switched our system to help make WB shine, not surprise harden is struggling.

What's sad is we have literally one of the greatest offensive player to grace the court and we have sht threads like these.
    U can btch and complain about the man's game, but he doesn't fking sucks. Harden has raised the bar of expectations so high, that his whole game gets examined and the league had to create new rules to hinder the man. Franchises would kill to have a player half of Harden's talent.

some people are ungrateful spoiled fans. It evens sadder i seen posters on this site, post the same exact toxic bs the media and the general public post: "no defense", "choker": "flopper".

Just watch the game and see where playoffs takes us. Harden could sht the bed all regular season if he wants, I am confident we will get into playoffs and make some noise.

10. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

With regards to Harden using up the shot clock up, I actually think it helps his team out in a big way. His teammates get to have a rest from using a lot of energy on the defensive end the possession before. And another point, it actually has to make the other team focus way more and keep an eye on just Harden much more. They have to watch if he's going drive to the basket, shoot the step back or pass it to one his open teammates. Harden being slow or whatever isn't as bad as people make it out to be, as it can lead to way more options.... especially if he's isolating. Now if it didn't get us results and he didn't perform to the standard he has all these years.... I'd have problems with it. But it's been working out well for the most part, for him and for the team.

11. JackLordsHair66

I hope you are right, I’ve never said he was trash or a flopper but I may have said he is a choker in the context of being the guy that has to deliver and yet hasn’t really done so in a series where the onus fell on him. There are many examples of this so I not going to re-litigate them here. He has yet to deliver a championship appearance as the dominant offensive scorer in the league the last few years and yeah I know - the historic Warriors i get that but the counter to that is the 0-27 (whcih wasn’t all on him of course) for 3 game.

I can’t find a hole in your argument however I wish he’d be more proactive against defenses vs allowing them to settle in and try to diagnose what he is going to do (even though we know now it’s one of the two or three go to shots/moves), also wish he would move off ball when Russ is ISOing when’s the last time you seen him backdoor or cut on anyone ? It’s feels like it’s been years ... I do appreciate your analysis because it is solid and well though out and helps me to rethink my own positions so I don’t totally go off into “group think”, or recently bias completely lol! Good stuff, even if I don’t have the same level of confidence in James finding his 3 ball stroke anytime soon

Do you feel James is becoming a bit too predictable though with his overall play ?

#131 JackLordsHair66, Mar 8, 2020
  12. JackLordsHair66

13. bmelo

bmelo Member

I think he is intimidated by Russ alpha genes

lw17 likes this.
  14. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Harden was struggling before going to small ball.

Rocks92 and bro2044 like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think more is going on, but we won't know it until the offseason.

bro2044 and bmelo like this.
  16. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

James Harden is going through Stomach Flu problems since Boston game, he pooped his shorts during the game, he easily can sit out and not play but he did so give him credit for caring about the team. He played in Boston and won, let him recover. Y'all need to stop complaining.

He needs a couple of weeks to recover and regain strength, yes he looks tired but a Stomach Virus takes a lot out of any person.

Just don't watch the games. If you guys hate Harden so Much.

Yes Pollen and Flu season hurts him when he already has Asthma in the Playoffs.

Having 5 All Stars on a Warriors Team is a Luxury.

Harden never has that since Westbrook became his teammate again

#136 rockets1995, Mar 8, 2020
  17. bmelo

bmelo Member

Dwight Cp Westy... its a bad look and maybe thats why Giannis goes at him cause he knows more

lw17 likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

In CP's case we know more now, it was the whole moreyball system that was stagnant and pushing Chris to shoot 3s a lot more.

The beef with Harden was overblown in the end, he just disliked the way the Rockets played. Harden was part of it and even its supporter.

Of course he disliked Morey shipping him out too but that is another story.

Dwight was less cerebral so I am not going into that.

#138 daywalker02, Mar 8, 2020
    lw17 likes this.
  19. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Even if you don't like his style or performance, to start a hate thread on him him is pretty messed up. This is a fan forum, and to start a hate thread on any if our players is just terrible. Think about it, he is what he is. He's trying his best. Blame the coach. His job is to set rotations, draw up plays, and coach these players.

I gets think he gets the blame for allowing James to do whatever he wants. He loves James, and seems to agree with James in his belief that he is the best player in the world. Best at what I'm not sure. Taking the most shots in the league, drawing fouls, and getting the most free throws I guess. He's a great passer, but seems a little overweight. He has no speed, is not a great 3 pt shooter. I know he takes twice as many 3's as everyone in the team, and more than anyone in the league, but that's not on James as much as it is our GM, coach and their system.

They want a bunch of guys firing away 3pt shots like they are at a carnival game, yet don't get us any of the best players to do that. If they get lucky with their shots, then win. The problem is the caliber of shooters we have taking all those shots, and all the hesitation by almost everyone but Harden and EGO to shoot it when they have it in their hands.

#140 deb4rockets, Mar 8, 2020