1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden someday > Durant & Westbrook?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beard, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Beard

Beard Member

HTML:
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>How great a story would it be if James Harden turned how to have a better career than Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook...</p>&mdash; Peter Vecsey (@PeterVecsey1) <a href="https://twitter.com/PeterVecsey1/status/288847417774850049" data-datetime="2013-01-09T03:19:25+00:00">January 9, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>How great a story would it be if James Harden turned how to have a better career than Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook...</p>&mdash; Peter Vecsey (@PeterVecsey1) <a href="https://twitter.com/PeterVecsey1/status/288847417774850049" data-datetime="2013-01-09T03:19:25+00:00">January 9, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Since his 2nd year I knew Harden would be better than Westbrook. Durant is a stretch...but harden is a much better playmaker....hmmmmm

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Unless durant gets hit by a bus, i just don't see that happening. Wesrbrook maybe, probably.

1 person likes this.
  3. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I don't think there's anything Harden is truly much better at than Durant... Besides the Euro-step.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This could be my inner homer....but give me Harden over Westbrook all day. Lacks the elite athleticism of Westbrook, but the BBIQ of Harden is MUCH higher than Westbrook, and I'd argue that he's a better pure playmaker. Also...the way Harden can get to the line at such a high rate leads to so many easy points...I love it. It's close, but I'd take Harden.

As for Durant....I doubt it. Durant could go down as one of, if not THE greatest scorer of all time. The fact that he's 6'10 but still as quick and as lethal from the outside as he is, he's literally unstoppable. Now that he's learning how to defend and rebound at a better rate, he's only getting better.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

James Harden can see the floor, and potentially make his teammates better than Kevin Durant can. All that matters in the comparison is rings, though. Who can do it on the biggest stage? Right now it is 0-0...

All that said, Durant is an offensive freak...

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

While Westbrook and Harden are different players I think Harden is much easier to build around and can mesh along with others a lot better. (this is coming from a huge WB fan too) -- this is not to discredit WB in anyway but Harden is the better play maker than WB though WB is light years ahead of Harden in terms of defense and sheer athleticism.

As for Durant -- that is not going to happen -- though Harden again is the better play maker than durant is

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

also just want to add since it was Peter Vecsey who said it

it will never happen

8. tokenbk

tokenbk Member

It'll be hard to predict because they're all so young and none of them have yet to tap into their full potential.

That being said, Harden is the youngest of the three and he's just get his experience as a starter. I don't think he'll ever be better than Durant, and that's not a slight against Harden. Durant he just keeps making incredible leaps each year and should always be a top two player in the league barring injury or anything related to that.

He has the best chance of overtaking Westbrook. It'd be a shame if Westbrook never gets someone that can get him under control and can help him fulfill his full potential, because he's such a fun player to watch. If he never fully develops though, there's a good chance Harden will be the better player at some point in their careers. There are already people arguing that Harden is the better player and still the better fit for OKC. I would love to see Westbrook as a #1 option, because I really think he could flourish as the main guy in the right system.

9. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

He followed me today on twitter pretty cool

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Not Durant, but deff better than Westbrick. Harden is just damn efficient. We have been used to having big time scorers like T-Mac that would be volume shooters but would always fret at attacking the basket. Harden is relelntless and racks up points to the where we are like "He's at 25 now hm...nothing new". Its the way he attacks the basket, his high B-ball IQ, and great facilitating abilities that make him so good. I wasn't too high on the trade at the time. Thought it was good ...but just that.

Will Happily eat fried crow.

11. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

He is already better than Westbrook, at least in so far as this season is concerned.

Westbrook is struggling to score efficiently on a team with the most potent offensive player in the league, imagine how much more difficult it becomes if he was the primary option on offense and the primary focus of opposing team on defense.

As for Durant, he would probably never have a better career than him.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

This isn't your inner homer, Harden's better than WB. He's just more consistent, I'd take a guy who gives me 9 every game than someone who'll give me 10 60% of the time and 4 40% of the time. As for Durant I agree it's too much to expect, KD and LBJ will go down in history as the GOATs IMHO.

However, there's a chance Harden might actually have a better career than Durant. Right now I don't see OKC winning a ring because Miami is still better than them, and in 2-3 years who knows? Maybe the Rockets end up being better than OKC, esp.once we get our 2nd max player to give our team a major boost. KD might end up with no rings and be the Wilt Chamberlain to Harden's Russell.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Only if he wins more championships than KD, but that's up in the air

14. CCM721

CCM721 Member

If both teams continue their current trends and the Rockets add that next big time player, I think we will have a lot of playoff series to make that decision over the next few years.

15. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

really? I think he is better on defense, but athleticism wise I think its pretty close.

16. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

It's not Westbrook maybe, probably. I think he is already better than Westbrook without a doubt.

17. tokenbk

tokenbk Member

I think Harden's athleticism is a bit underrated, but my personal opinion is that Westbrook is arguably the most athletic player in the league after LeBron. Very few people are in his league in terms of athletic ability.

18. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

He goes to the basket better than Durant but Durant has the edge he is a great player.

19. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

He looks better than Durant....no gayness here just that Durant has a wierd frame with those really small shoulders.

20. Convictedstupid

I think he is definitely ahead on sheer athleticism, but I think that'll play out better for Harden. WB will have to style a game later in his career unlike the one he has now of just exploding by and above the opposition. Harden will have less to change in that regard, IMO.