1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden should quit on step back 3s?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YallMean, Feb 10, 2020.

1. YallMean

YallMean Member

Patented move of his, but still a very difficult shot. Not a good shot. I mean you don't dribble for 20 seconds to take that shot. With all 4 other teammates on the floor that can shoot three and no one can check him one on one, I don't see why he would still take that shot. Just drive and kick. In Russ words, make it simple, don't make it too complicated. He can still take 3s, but those will be from Russ's kick out - catch and shoot. I think he is probably the 2nd or 3 best 3 point shooter on this team. If he is doubled, no need to split the double team. The killer is he is careless dribble causing turn overs at the top of the key where there is no one in front of our rim. It's a simple tweak, but probably going to be a ego thing for give up that shot.

Thoughts?

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Kareem should have quit on his sky hooks too.

Gervin and his finger roll.

Hakeem and his dream shake.

Too high degree of difficulty.

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

Those are good shots based on their rate of success and advantage over the opponents. The stepback threes are not those moves. He was making them at a rate impossible for others to achieve, but still not high enough, especially in recent games. My premise is that there are better shots than that and in addition we lack rebounding now.

ak99999 and bro2044 like this.
  4. ozrocketsfan

ozrocketsfan Member

I have noticed alot of the time he won't shoot a 3 if assisted. He gets the ball with plenty of time to shoot, but he hesitates and waits for the defender to come to him. I'm not sure if he's more confident with his shot beating the defender off the dribble, but if he's open he should shoot the damn thing!

Lovemachine2000 and ak99999 like this.
  5. YallMean

YallMean Member

Yes, he likes to invite defense.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Yea it’s kinda dumb at this point. I feel like this point was also made long ago, it’s a great move but should be a last resort etc.

bro2044 likes this.
  7. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

he got bronze catch and shoot badge. need atleast gold everybody knows that.

beard4life likes this.
  8. Newlin

Newlin Member

The question is, can he get past the defender and get to the basket? Look at the success Westbrook has had by eliminating the three and driving to the basket. We have no center, so the lane should be open.

9. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

He should bring back that deadly mid range game, at least Westbrook still isn't afraid to shoot his.

JW86, bro2044 and YallMean like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL, this thread is hilarious.

JW86, Blurr#7, DeBeards and 3 others like this.
  11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

since his alleged injury past couple months i've noticed he now has to try breaking off the defender with handles/moves. his entire career before that he could get by virtually anyone w/ just his first step alone

regarding the OP's question, i'd like to see him shoot much less stepback 3's. maybe save that move for bailouts at the end of the shot clock and when the D tightens up in crunchtime

YallMean likes this.
  12. YallMean

YallMean Member

He is no Russ. No guard can do what Russ does to take on Rudy Gobert like that. But, Harden's first step is still one of the best in the league to get by people. His stopping on the dime to pull of a Jordan's midrange is also pretty lethal. I don't see him finish around rim like Russ all the time, but with his ability to draw fouls and midrange pull up, he should drive a lot more than what he does right now. Actually take a step back three if he wants, but as someone put it, that should be a last resort move with time running out after he catches the ball.

Absolutely hating him wasting the clock to pull up a step three or pass to his teammates for the bail out with only 5 or 6 seconds left.

13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

He shouldnt stop it. He should using it more sparingly though. Its that time in the season where its already a long one and legs arent there like they were in the beginning of the season, especially with as many mins as he logs.

Harden is a scorer not a shooter, he doesnt need to keep shooting 3s when he starts a game 0-8 from there and finishes 2-13.

bro2044 and YallMean like this.
  14. omgTHEpotential

James Harden - Step-back 3PTs in 2019-20:

147/394 (37.3%)

JW86, Patience, BigMaloe and 6 others like this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Go to a youth b-ball game and watch how many “Harden” stepbacks you see. Dude revolutionized the game with his style. It’s part of who he is. Thankfully that one-legged, baseline, flying out of bounds 3 attempt didn’t catch on huh?

his 3 in general is off. His wrist isn’t popping like normal. It’s a hellacious slump, but I think he’ll be fine by playoff time - he almost always is.

HP3, clos4life and D-rock like this.
  16. omgTHEpotential

The majority of his attempts are step-backs, and he's great at those (37.3%). It's the "normal" three-pointers that he's struggling with.

JW86, Patience, clos4life and 2 others like this.
  17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He shoots better on step backs than non step backs.

Patience likes this.
  18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

yes. . . more LONG 2s!!!

Rocket River

Blurr#7 and HP3 like this.
  19. dmoneybangbang

Harden's off shooting nights hurt us so much more. The dude gets easily flustered which translate into not getting back on missed 3s. Harden needs to learn to give what the defense gives him. If the defenses are constantly doubling, then how about you lead the league in assists? I don't care what the advanced stats say about Harden, they are missing something.

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The problem with Harden isn't his step back three in a isolated manner. The problem is that he ONLY works on that aspect of his game. Pretty much all his workout drills are just dribble between the legs step back threes and face up dribble moves. He needs to practice other things and expand his game.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.