1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden says he plays too much to maintain defensive focus

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Dec 2, 2015.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocke...g-40-minutes-a-game-too-much-to-be-efficient/

He needs to stop making excuses. If it's fatigue, then it would show at certain times and in overall play, not just on defense....which likely means he's deciding to take defensive plays off to save energy for offense. I understand he gets tired, but he needs to do what is necessary as the game develops, rather than play a certain way because he's anticipating a close 4th quarter.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

"You're going to have some lapses, you're going to have some mistakes. I'm not trying to worry about them."

Yeah, we can see that.

3. Omer

Omer Member

Too many excuses. If he regularly played good defense while he was on the court we would be able to win games with him only playing 34-36mpg

4. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Sorry, we saw you maintain at least decent defensive focus last season, the cat's out of the bag.

He's playing lazy this year, on both sides of the ball. I don't like hearing him make excuses for it.

6. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

He has a point. He's carrying the team. Our defensive anchors should be able to hide him on defense such as the likes of Curry are hidden. Keep doing you Harden. Others should all step up around you.

7. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

He could have gone so many ways with this. He chose the worst way possible.

1 person likes this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we're not talking about "mistakes" here . . . we are talking about defensive APATHY.

I think Kevin McHale said it best, it's not like you're logging tall timber out there. :rolleyes:

9. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

He shouldn't be the one saying it, but he obviously does play too many minutes.

More KJ please.

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Someone should turn the question around and ask Harden which NBA player is allowed to stay on the court for that amount of minutes despite showing no effort and playing abysmal defense.

11. dje243

dje243 Member

Serious Question: If one were wanting to make a defensive lowlight reel for an NBA player... how would they know where to look to find footage? Or is it just sort of a "I DVR the games and mark when I see a defensive error" thing. I know there are lots of clips over on the nba stats page... but are there defensive vids other than just blocks/steals?

12. Drawkwa22

Drawkwa22 Member

wasn't that terrible play in the pistons game in the first few minutes?

13. ibm

ibm Member

no wonder he takes 8 seconds to walk the ball up to the front court.

screw him.

14. bmd

bmd Member

I understand it.

Some guys just don't have a huge gas tank and get tired easier than others. I think that's Harden.

It's extremely difficult to give all you have on both ends for the minutes Harden plays. He plays the entire 1st quarter if I remember correctly. There is no way to give that effort on both ends (plus sprinting in transition) for an entire quarter.

I think that's one of the reasons he used to get his other teammates involved in the first quarter last season. Because he knew he could get some rest by letting them do more work on offense.

1 person likes this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Sounds like he need less min.

16. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

17. Drogba

Drogba Member

Sounds like he's begging for less minutes. And he would be right. He isn't a generational athlete like Jordan or LeBron.

18. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

AND THIS IS OUR GAWD???

19. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Garbage talk just like his "I deserve the MVP" talk

Look, no one expects him to be a lock down defender but at least show some effort and hustle. Just watching guys (lots of scrubs) blow by you play after play is unacceptable. I don't care if you play 10 minutes or 48 minutes, there has got to be effort involved on the defensive end.

This points to a bigger concern.

Harden's lack of focus, effort and just giving up on D has an effect on the entire team. I think players are thinking why should we give our all on D when this guy doesn't care about that end but only about how many offensive stats he is putting up and then he gets all the credit for us winning. Conspiracy or fact?

20. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

He is turning out to be a joke, and it's on us!