1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden on Howard (Globe) "We're going to be a problem."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Mar 2, 2014.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...-their-time/NFWBHidqswIlPcRBZGiMvL/story.html

Harden likes Rockets’ chances with Howard

James Harden and the Rockets are beginning to resemble the team observers expected when Dwight Howard left the Lakers and agreed to a four-year deal with Houston. The process of attracting Howard wasn’t easy for the Rockets, who had to compete with the Mavericks and Lakers for his services.

“I didn’t go out and recruit Dwight [but] I’m one of the leaders of this team with Dwight being here. I needed to be there,” Harden said of the Rockets’ July meeting with Howard. “He’s a special talent. It’s hard to find someone his size and as athletic as him that can move, so I wanted to be part of that meeting and the meeting went well, obviously.

“I want to win a championship and it’s easier said than done. Him being here is definitely the right step. It’s going to be a lot of hard work but we’re a young team. We play the same way that he loves to play. We’re going to give him the ball as much as possible. We needed him to come here and do what he does best.”

Harden said transitioning to playing with Howard is a process, but he relishes playing with such a dominant center. “It makes it easier for me,” said Harden, who is fifth in the NBA in scoring at 24.5 per game. “He draws so much attention under the basket with him being a lob target and being able to finish. I haven’t played with a big man as dominant and athletic as Dwight, so I’m still trying to get adjusted to him being under the rim. Once I figure it out and we get it rolling, we’re going to be a problem.”

2. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

I think the Boston globe is crap, this is the site I just found said the Knicks might trade amare for Eric Gordon so the pelicans can then amnesty amare....

I doubt harden spoke to them and since when does harden speak like that, I think they just made up the quotes completely

3. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Quotes are legit. They lifted from this old SI article... it was posted here before.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20140117/james-harden-dwight-howard-rockets-notebook/

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

You might not be that familiar with US newspapers overall. They are all in decline, I think, but the Globe is Boston's most reputable paper, of similar standing one could argue to the Chicago Tribune, the Dallas Morning News and that kind of thing. It's not like a supermarket rag (or not quite yet).

In other words, you're just... speaking out of your aus. :p

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think this team will have a shot at taking OKC this year.

They will have to play perfect basketball, but they have a shot.

Beverley(guards Westbrook)
    Harden(guards Ibaka)
    Parsons(guards Sefalosha)You want Chandler focusing his energy on O
    Hamilton(guards Durant) Sit in corner, shoot open threes
    Howard(protects the rim)

We matchup well with them when we play small.

I was watching the Rockets pick and rolls last night, and it was staggering to see how much space they give Jones in a Howard/Harden PNR. Having Hamilton sit in that corner with Beverley/Parsons on the wings as well will really keep this offense flowing.

We matchup really well with OKC believe it or not. I think you have to do the same thing against the Clippers as well. You need quicker defenders on the perimeter to slow down all the PNR/running around screens that the Clips do. Harden will have to man up in the playoffs against the bigger 4's.

7. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Harden will NOT play against Ibaka, I just don't see it.

8. tmacfor35

You must have missed the first round last year in the playoffs. :grin:

9. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Judging by how we've looked this year against the Thunder, we are dirt under their feet.

We match up terribly with them.

10. tmacfor35

I believe both times that we have played them(might be three, but I only remember two), we have been coming off a back to back or 4th in 5 day stretch while they have been on rest.

I think we matchup better with Westrbook in the lineup because we actually have someone that can guard Westbrook. Durant is unguardable, and it seems that when he is alpha dog on the court, there is nobody on this roster that can stay with him or make him work for his points.

I think putting two 40% 3 point shooters in the corners while having your two best PNR will do some damage as it did last playoff series.

11. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

He must have, cause Harden did a damn good job at it.

12. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Harden is a better post defender than Jones or DMo

It can work against OKC,but not against the other Playoff Teams.(Clippers,Spurs,Blazers,Dallas)

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

LOL. You are sooooo right. No disrespect intended to VOAus.

14. tmacfor35

I think Harden could give Blake a bit of trouble. Blake's quickness is the issue.

Harden can stay with him.

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

D-Mo in case you have not noticed has turned into one hell of a post defender. Harden is picked by the coaches to defend power forwards only in specific instances. D-Mo just gets what is handed to him. That said, Harden is a special defender in the post.

16. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Did you not watch the playoffs?

Harden's actually good at holding position on defense. It's him having to be quick on his feet and moving laterally where he struggles.

If we go out with

Dwight
    Harden
    Hamilton
    Parsons
    Bev

That's just an upgraded version of what we had last year going up for

Dwight>Omer
    Harden=Harden
    Hamilton +/- Garcia(he was very good in the POs)
    Parsons=Parsons
    Bev=Bev

17. tmacfor35

I actually think we matchup better with Westbrook in the lineup, compared to just Durant.

18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

You're damn right the rest of the league has a problem with Houston, and I love it!

No team wants to see us in the playoffs.

19. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

I'm so happy Houston is finally a threat in the playoffs. Seriously can't wait for it to start.