1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden named Western Conference Player of the Week again

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tehG l i d e, Nov 6, 2017.

1. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Klay Thompson and Curry "take off" on defense all the damn time but no one really notices because their team defense is so good. Thompson can be invisible for whole games and NBA reddit and twitter won't go crazy like thet would Harden.

BigMaloe likes this.
  2. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

The only media to mention him.....

3. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

James Harden 1st player to win Conference Player of the Week twice in 1st 3 weeks

Deuce, Reeko, BigMaloe and 3 others like this.
  4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

In post #6 of this thread I mentioned LeBron was age 26 when he moved on from Cavs to Miami.

Harden is 28 years old now (Aug).

LeBron went from high school to the NBA and was a man child to start his career. So I give LeBron a two year
    jump on Harden as far as maturity and basketball IQ.

Now you see Harden as not getting much playing time with OKC....but I see a guy drowned out by Westbrook
    to begin his career. Note the difference in a Hardens number from his last year with Thunder to his next year w/
    Rockets as evidence. Westbrook recently did the same number on Oladipo last year. Observe Oladipo
    USG%, PER, points/game with Orlando/Thunder & now Pacers. Harden sufficiency was delayed probably
    two years because of Westbrook. So I just look at the body of work while with Houston. Others can view
    it anyway they wish. I just see those individuals as over zealous to scrutinize Harden in a bad light than in
    a good one.

Edited: per basketball-reference.com
    Oladipo
    Orlando: 22.9 USG%, 16.7 PER, 16.0 pts/gm (15/16)
    Thunder: 21.4 USG%, 13.6 PER, 15.9 pts/gm (16/17)
    Pacers: 30.3 USG%, 22.8 PER, 23.8 pts/gm (17/18)

Harden
    Thunder: 21.6 USG%, 21.1 PER, 16.8 pts/gm (last yr with Thunder)
    Rockets: 29.0 USG%, 23.0 PER, 25.9 pts/gm (1st yr with Rockets)
    LeBron was his own man coming into the league on his own team. Houston was Hardens own team. Lin
    was a small obstacle.

#44 ApacheWarrior, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    BigMaloe and daywalker02 like this.
  5. caneks

caneks Rookie

I like what harden showed so far this season. This is his best season in rockets.

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I think Westbrook, Curry, and Lillard are all highly suspect in being Best Player on a championship team. Harden has the best argument of the group though.

BigShasta likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah, Harden has all the tools to become the best offensive dude ever that can dish to his teammates too if he isn't there already.

His D isn't that bad obviously too. In close out games in the playoffs he tends to shrink when his shot is not on.

I dun think he is really unstoppable every playoff game. And the opponent probably knows it.

It's on Gordon, Mbah, CP3 and the other guys.

So what remains to get close to a championship (which Steve Nash never did); The Help, Coaching, His peak condition and timing, A bit of luck. Experience.

How many years he can stay on this level, we shall see.

8. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Well curry has won as the best player.

Here in lies the problem with most fan perception. When you are talking about the truly elite superstars, all are 'capable' of being the #1 on a championship team but they just need the right team and guys around them. Which is just as difficult, if not more, as acquiring one of these top flight stars.

So, while I surely don't prefer and doubt the likelihood of a lillard or westy winning as "the guy", what curry has proven is it is definitely possible.

So, this is why you don't give up on top top tier talent. You just have to find the guys and team to make hat happen.

To that regard, I think Morey is close to building the team needed for harden. We have that secondary playmaker he desperately needed. We now have multiple long defenders surrounding him. What I think we still lack is a front court/wing playmaker and defender. But those are extremely hard to find. Draymonds don't grow on trees. But look for morey to chase extremely hard on lebron.

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I totally agree: help, coaching, luck and timing go a long way.

My point has been pushing help over all else because teams in the playoffs try to take away the first
    and second options. In 14-15 the Warriors keyed on Harden after Dwight Howard tweaked his knee
    after (I believe Terrence) Jones rolled over and hyper-extended D12’s knee( gm 1). At that point they took away
    options 1 & 2 (D12 no longer ran PnR). That’s where health played into effect. Nene getting hurt last
    year played a big factor last year; as he was our enforcer near the rim. Harrell was too short and didn’t
    block shots or rebound well.

Coaching: let’s not bring McHale into this as he is an old fashion former post up player which the game
    has pasted him by. The game has changed. I will just say teams can win despite coaches. Spoelstra
    was considered a puppet coach while LeBron/D-Wade/Bosh ran things. Kyrie Irving suggested the other
    day that Brad Stevens is a real coach vs Tyrone Lue and David Blatt (whom many feel were puppet coaches
    to LeBron James).

Luck is probably the biggest factor. But not all believe in Luck; you make your own luck.

As per earlier posting. LeBron NBA Finals team “help” vs Houston Rockets roster last year:

LeBron.................Harden
    Shannon Brown....Gordon
    Daniel Gibson.......Beverley
    Drew Gooden........Ryan Anderson
    Larry Hughes........Ariza
    Damon Jones.......Harrell
    Donyell Marshall...Dekker
    Eric Snow..............Lou Williams
    Varejao..................Capela
    David Westley.......Nene

I think both rosters were comparable to each other. Larry Hughes had a huge contract for a reason. He was
    only an 8 year vet this particular season.

Year before a LeBron fled to Miami:

LeBron
    Daniel Gibson
    Danny Green (rookie)
    J.J. Hickson
    Ilgauskas
    Antwan Jamison
    Jamario Moon
    Shaq O’Neal
    Anthony Parker
    Sebastian Telfair
    Varejao
    Delonte West
    Mo Williams

To this point still no championships for LeBron. Because LeBron would shrink in the 4th quarters due to
    poor free throw shooting and lack of range in his FG shooting. This is why many felt LeBron had to join
    D-Wade. Because D-Wade could close games. He would make his FT’s. LeBron has adapted. Harden
    just has to keep track of the spot up shooter he is responsible for defensively. Curry keeps track of his man.
    But Harden is not a liability in the post.....Curry is a liability in the post defensively.

#49 ApacheWarrior, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  10. Houstunna

Supporting Member

My basis is FMVP - which Iguodala won in '15.

I'm not saying, "give up on Harden". He's a great player. I'm just telling the whole truth about him.

11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

so if GS had Players MVP Harden instead of Curry with FMVP AI in '15 they still would have won the championship right?

12. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Yes

I stated earlier Harden > Curry

13. vlaurelio

so Harden can win a ring being the best player on a team

14. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Curry didn't.

They're both suspect.

15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

George Hill must have had an off week.

pippendagimp likes this.
  16. vlaurelio

so you're saying AI or someone else would have been the best player on the 2015 not Curry or Harden?

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think Larry Hughes at his best was a way more talented scorer than Ariza.

HakeemOnlyFan and ApacheWarrior like this.
  18. Houstunna

Supporting Member

I'm saying, "an average defender will always struggle winning FMVP" -- There's only been 3 in league history (Isiah, Parker, and Dirk).

James is doing better this season, so we'll see what happens.

19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I would agree. There is some give and take with both rosters. Hughes was deadly with Washington next to Agent Zero.
    Hughes got one of the biggest contracts at the time. Then things fell apart. Gilbert Arenas pulled a gun on a teammate.
    Ariza is not the slasher/scorer; but I would say he has been the better defender over a career span.

Eric Snow and Beverley played much the same game.

David Westley/Shannon Brown/Daniel Gibson were good enough scorers; comparable to Gordon/Lou Williams

Donyell Marshall was equal to Dekker defensively; but Marshall could slash and work better around the rim than Dek.

Gooden wasn’t bad > Harrell

Varejao = Capela
    Throw Nene in there somewhere. Note his injury was just prior to the Rockets being eliminated.

LeBron > Harden. But as @BigMaloe mentioned....LeBron was referred to as LeChoke or LeBrick back then.

San Antonio swept the Cavs in the finals 4-straight that year. West > East then.
    Cavs made it to NBA finals that one year; while Houston (w/Harden) made it to WCF’s (couldn’t get past Warriors)

Big deal. As CP3 said when he came to Houston this past summer:
    “If you ain’t in first place, you’re in last place.”——Ricky Bobby quote
    I don’t care that the Cavs lost in the NBA finals and that Houston lost in the WCF’s....neither won the championship. LeBron had to join Stars...more than Harden has had the luxury of doing. CP3 helps
    this year.

Edited: anyone can google “LeBrick James”. Note the article dates of what you come up with.

#59 ApacheWarrior, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    daywalker02 and BigMaloe like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

@ApacheWarrior

I think this year's Irving is looking like Harden taking on the Celts on his back without Hayward.