1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden is simply not a leader and never will be

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Jan 15, 2020.

1. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Well Harden has not preformed well and full of energy on second nights of b2bs, he is getting older and playing heavy minutes but the entire point is he wouldnt have that problem if we had more talent. Everyones gripe isnt with Harden its with the front office.

2. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

no. Chris paul did before his injury. Hes gone now. Harden and Dantoni are in full control since that night and we haven’t sniffed the championship.

3. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

OH so Chris Paul a guy that never got out of the second round before he came to Houston and was injured part of the season but we were still 1st seed is the reason we had a shot in 2018... really? Not Harden having an MVP season and it apparently wasnt the fact that we had more talented role players on the team than now. It wasnt Harden taking attention away from Paul making him the most open in the playoffs he's ever been? That wasnt it huh, it was Paul by himself? got it lol I hope Harden leaves the more I talk to you people the more I realize Houston doesnt deserve James Harden. We should trade him, we are squandering his prime at this point.

4. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Yes?

5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Cant wait to see OKC in the finals this year.

juanm34 likes this.
  6. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

yes the team had better role players but Harden still couldn’t cash in.

7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

He couldnt "cash in" ?

8. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

If your theory is correct why isnt OKC the 1st seed in the west. Why do the Rockets have a better record? Why didnt Paul make it out of the 2nd round before coming to Houston?

9. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Championship.

10. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

paul was good for this team. We had our only chance with him. How do you not know this?

11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Are you on drugs?

fckbandwagons likes this.
  12. bro2044

bro2044 Member

Not really, since offense and leadership are not synonymous.

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Yeah. You’re right. Harden will win us tons of championships with that hard nosed defense and never lose mentality and leadership that he brings every single game. I might be on drugs but you are obviously 12 and have your whole life ahead of you. Say no to drugs, son.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

stop acting like this team was just waltzing through the playoffs before cp3 got here. one fluke wcf appearance where they proceeded to get destroyed doesn't change much. harden and cp3 both needed each other. they complemented each other well in areas needed. it's damn shame tilman gave up on it. but he's a terrible owner so there's that

12-13: 1st round exit
    13-14: 1st round exit
    14-15: wcf
    15-16: 1st round exit
    16-17: 2nd round exit

12-13: 1st round exit
    13-14: 2nd round exit
    14-15: 2nd round exit
    15-16: 1st round exit
    16-17: 1st round exit

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

LeBron is a fickle diva. But he did turn up the heat on both ends in that 2016 Finals and beat a historic best team. Harden still hasn't done that when a playoff series is on the line. That doesn't mean he will never do it. But until he does that, he will bear that enigma of wilting in the most important games when the going gets tough, fair or not.

Is that leadership quality? I don't know. But the only way he can take that monkey off his back is by doing what LeBron did in 2016, or being lucky enough to have a team as talented as Curry's Golden State or LeBron's Miami.

#275 Easy, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  16. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Who is James Harden
    Positives: Great scorer, excellent vision, getting to free throw line and making, always willing to play, and enjoys being a Houston Rocket.
    Negatives: Poor one on one defender on perimeter that creates breakdowns when others have to help, plays at a poor pace, turnover prone, poor leader, and disappears in playoff crunch time.

Bottom line, we will be unable to win a championship until he commits more on the defensive end. Especially the perimeter.

bro2044 likes this.
  17. bro2044

bro2044 Member

Many of you are missing the point. I'm not saying I agree with the OP, but stop being so hyperbolic.

Just because Harden is not solely to blame does NOT mean that he is blameless. It can be true that his teammates, his coach, and himself share responsibility, not one or the other only.

Harden is our superstar, and to evolve he will need to be smarter and lead by example, since he is not charismatic or particularly natural as a leader. Instead, he holds the ball for 80-90% of the shot clock, and makes a decision towards the end to drive, step-back 3, or pass to a standing open man. Most of our possessions end this way, which is horribly ineffective for a team that gimmickly-focuses on higher efficiency processes. His defense is suspect and always has been, but he is not a bad defender overall, mainly just on the perimeter, as his switching and post D is okay - he just needs to show effort there, and when his effort doesnt show he ends up on Shaqtin a Fool.

The inability to move and create early is a problem, because you have stiff players waiting for a last second moment to "do" something. Sure, they should knock down their own shots. Sure, setting plays is on MDA.
    Sure, WB should handle the ball coming up the court and initiate other player involvement.
    Harden however demands the ball in such a way that stagnates our team. Yes, he passes. I'm not saying he's selfish, I am saying he is not making wise use of his time or the possession, and since he is not playing smart and involving others early, he is offering limited reaction and flow between he and his brothers on the court.

Does he organize plays well? Does he inspire? Does he lead by example? Does he motivate? Does he involve efficiently? Does he play intelligently?

Sadly, the answers to a lot of the above are either muddy, arguable, or no.

Just because he is an outstanding player does not mean he is a leader. That's like saying a sniper would make a great General because his efficiency and kill count are off the charts - nope, not the same. I love Harden, and I have defended him for a long time, but right now he is the worst version of his best self, and he has to either smarten up and/or be challenged by MDA.

I'm not sure if either are going to happen, and I dont see a teammate really calling him out because they have their own deficiencies, so what happens?

I really want JH13 to succeed with the Rockets for a title, but what's happening in the last few weeks especially is truly worrying. It's not just one-off games or fan knee-jerking, there are now a vast collection of winnable games that have passed as L's, and while Harden is not solely at-fault, he does not get a pass. Whether he wants the responsibility or not doesnt matter, because him being this good means the responsibility has been thrust upon him, and he hasn't really done anything with it.

18. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

He should take a page out Westbrook's book and go with load management. We see this every year with him being run into the ground during the season then when the playoffs roll around it's the same old story. Quit being a stubborn b*stard and take some games off.

tycoonchip likes this.
  19. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

the narrative of "you either love him or hate him" is beyond stupid. harden is a great offensive player, a statistical machine. he's also a lousy defender, gives next to no effort far too often, and far too often demonstrates poor body language, behavior and minimal leadership skills on the court. he's also the single most influential and powerful member of this franchise outside of tilman. the entire team has been built around him, to suit his style of play and the players he allegedly wants to play with... you know, until he doesn't want to play w them anymore.

stop giving this guy a pass just bc he throws up 40 points on a regular basis. he's also shown a complete inability to step up in the playoffs, to help guide this team to higher goals, even when the cards are seemingly stacked in his favor (spurs, KD-less warriors, blazers).

instead of drawing a line in the sand over who "loves" and "hates" harden, how about you expect more from everyone including him? i don't support the houston hardens, i support the houston rockets.

tycoonchip, Vivi and Easy like this.
  20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Look he was tired, no doubt, and yes, he is not a leader - which is one of the biggest reasons I like CP3, someone that would not fall for Harden's prima donna BS.

He misses a defensive assignment and blames others.....he is an INCREDIBLE player, INCREDIBLE - but he is a flawed player in that he doesn't seem to BURN to win at all costs.....and IMHO, needs someone to hold him accountable that he trusts....because the org has basically given him the keys to the city....

DD