1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden is declining

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Highlyrated, Mar 8, 2020.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I just posted a monthly breakdown a few posts up. February is right after his death and the IG being deleted. February was one of his and the teams best months of the season.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

3. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

would like to see the last 6-7 game stats

as season progresses, just gotten worse

4. alethios

alethios Member

I don't believe Harden is declining because that implies he's not going to get better than his recent performance. More likely, he's just going through a rough patch mentally and physically. If rest or load management will help get him back to his early season levels, then it's on him and MDA to work that out. My guess is that he wants to continue to prove himself and play hero ball even when he doesn't have it. I don't think MDA has much control over his minutes or how he's used.

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

hikanoo49 likes this.
  6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Elite players do not have stretches like this. Obviously still a great player, but you can't call him a Top 15 guy right now.

#106 J Sizzle, Mar 9, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

But that’s the thing it hasn’t been a 26 game bad stretch. It’s been a 12 game worst you will ever see stretch. Then an 11 game back to normal stretch then now another 4 game awful stretch.

February was 32 a game on 64+ TS%

Lumping all those games together makes the January and March games seem better than they actually were and makes February look like it was just as terrible as the rest.

There’s something going on here. January was possibly his worst month ever. February was another stellar month. March has now begun and it’s started worse than January.

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Consistency is what makes you a top player. 2-3 off games? Sure, that happens. Not 10+. And there should never be any "worst you will ever see" type stretches where he's shooting sub-30%. The elite players simply don't do that more than once or twice in a while, and that's what Harden is accustomed to.

Nobody is saying Harden's lost his peak abilities or anything. He's still capable, obviously, but right now, he has lost that consistent dominance that Giannis/LeBron/Davis/etc. put forth, which is the level Harden is supposed to be at.

RocketRed84 likes this.
  9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I agree with that. I’m more speaking to this idea that once the calendar hit 2020 the decline of James Harden started and it’s been all bad since that day and that it’s time to cut bait and not expect him to be great again.

I have no idea what’s actually happening but I really do believe the most logical assumption was some sort of injury that he refused to sit for in January. Not an excuse. He and the team would have had to make that decision. But it just makes more sense than an all of a sudden skill/athletic decline that won’t ever return.

10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Physically he doesn't look right out there. Now that he has hit 30 I hope he starts to shed some weight as he gets older.

fchowd0311 likes this.