1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden is Creeping up on Hakeem.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by theimpossibles1, Jan 31, 2018.

?

If Harden wins 2 rings and plays 8-10 more yrs with Rockets, is he the greatest Rocket of all time?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. theimpossibles1

I forgot about the quadruple double. Should have included that in OP.

EXPLOSIVE GAMES - TIE

For the record I voted for Hakeem. His were the first 2 chips for H-Town, making them very special. I just wanted to get a feel for where the general fan rates Harden as of now. Certainly surprised at the results. I suppose many of us are too young to fully appreciate the Dream, and recency bias comes in to play as well.

That said, if Harden wins 3 or more rings with us and plays out on a similar trajectory...G.R.O.A.T.

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dream is STILL ridiculously underrated.

Arguably the greatest center AND one could be made for greatest player.

It's amazing how many different factors lined up to make him the player he became.

Besides being blessed with physical aptitudes out the kazoo and a mind/drive to match....
    Soccer/ handball background helped develop that incredible footwork and ability to block shots.
    UH, GuyV, and PSJ with their freewheeling style.
    Moses taking him under his wing on and off the court. Drilling him at Fonde.
    Staying here and having that comfort zone..
    CD and the best in the business ....The Rockets legacy of big men isn't by accident.
    His devotion to his faith which resulted in a keen sharpening of the discipline required.

And let's be clear about something (for our younger fans)......Dream played for a number of Rockets teams in the eighties that were better than our title teams. Remember, we were the only team to come out of the West besides the Lakers in the eighties, only to have to deal with Boston....And he was soooo young!
    Between battling the two greatest dynasties in the history of the NBA during the eighties, Sampson's career ending injuries, the 86 cocaine debacle, and match up issues with Seattle in the nineties, Dream could easily have 4 - 6 titles....a lot has to fall in place.

Best center on both ends as far as I'm concerned.

Not to take anything away from James....au contraire, he is himself a top 10 player of all time already...doesn't have the titles, but he's climbing the ladder. He, himself a list of factors that are playing into his greatness.

When you get to this level, they're all special, but........

C'mon....this is Dream we're talking about......Like I said, he has an argument for #1.....

Starting a team.....Magic, MJ, Dream.....Kareem, Wilt, Larry, Russell ...Guys that challenged for NBA titles out of the shoot...as babies (rookies)....in a league that was much better.

Beard's script is still being written, and I believe it will bring titles......But,I don't see him ever surpassing Mr. Unbeatable.

Go James ...Go Rockets!

#63 Plowman, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    D-rock, the shark and tinman like this.
  4. tinman

Supporting Member

He's underrated on this site, which was named after the team he captained to two championships.

5. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

If he gets 2 chips then he might get the edge, hakeem was something else man the dude literally brought 2 chips by himself, played with a bunch of role players had multiple historic playoffs performances for the ages, am good if harden can bring 1 chip.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

7. Caesar

Caesar Member

GOAT
    [​IMG]
    *This was only from 70s-to 2k study

theimpossibles1, LCII, csj and 3 others like this.
  8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tin -

True, true, true ....We've all gotten older, and with so many younger fans.....

the shark and Caesar like this.
  9. tinman

Supporting Member

Yes we old
    but the next number after 0 is 1 not 2

Plowman likes this.
  10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Hakeem was also 2x DPOY and 5x All-Defense 1st Team.

So... i mean... i root for james too but we all know he's not matching hakeem on both ends.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I put Hakeem above Harden but that sort of argument is silly.
    James Harden has led the league in assists and we all know Hakeem can match him at that!

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

its not about getting into who's better at each skill. harden is better at 3s and assists, hakeem at rebounds and blocks... that doesn't tell the story.

we're talking about career accomplishments. hakeem has 1 MVP, 2 Finals MVPs, 2 rings, 2 DPOYs, 6x NBA 1st Team, 5x Defense 1st team. now the question was if harden wins 2 rings and gets an MVP does he pass hakeem in career accomplishments... the answer is clearly no, unless he gets defensive accomplishments as well. even though he's been much better on that end this year, i doubt he gets 2 DPOYs and 5 Defense 1st team selections.

13. the shark

the shark Member

It amazes me how many idiots there are on this site who are CLUELESS who Hakeem is and more importantly how freakin great he was!!!!

Harden is incredible but comparing him to Dream?

When Harden wins two rings (and is voted the finals MVP each time), wins MVP, wins 2 DPOY, and is considered one of the top 10 players of ALL-TIME then you idiots can come on here and pop off.

Until then......SHUT THE F UP WITH THIS NONSENSE!!!

#73 the shark, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Dream was so smooth, so effortless. But man I hated those striped pajamas.

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Dream took a rag tag, scrappy team and turned them into champions. He will forever be the best Rocket. Hometown guy. Amazing backstory and career, one of the kindest and most humble guys to do it.

James is a phenomenal scorer. Mind boggling to see the numbers, its like watching a slot machine just spinning in the stat columns. There is something to be said about being clutch and showing up for the big moment. As of yet James doesnt have that big 'look at me' moment in the playoffs even if the averages jump out at you.

When the game was on the line and the team needed the big performance the most Dream was always there. I cant ever remember a big loss and saying 'Damn Dream didnt really play well'.

Time is on James' side. Winning cures all.

16. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Is he better than Tmac? :p:eek:;)

17. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

Hard to say...Harden is clearly the better scorer/facilitator. Hakeem is clearly the better leader/defender.

I feel like guys would never attack and challenge Hakeem the way they do Harden.

I also feel like Hakeem had more respect from the league and other players then Harden gets...

18. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

I clicked the Yes because it somehow made me feel like it was more possible for us to win championships by doing so...

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

Yes, We haven't won a championship since 1995.

It was so long ago that we actually had non Mandarin Ads at the arena.

Plowman likes this.
  20. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

Hakeem and Harden would be legends but I will talk of Hakeem all over the place even after Harden wins three to four championships